Standby w/ Flexi ticket

Old Mar 3, 2024, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Silver
Standby w/ Flexi ticket

I'm hoping to change to an earlier flight, but with the Pink concert in Dunedin the loadings are high tomorrow. If I can't change via the app, whats the best way to standby/waitlist for any no shows? Talk to an agent at check-in or go straight to the gate? I'll just have carry-on.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by brenrox
I'm hoping to change to an earlier flight, but with the Pink concert in Dunedin the loadings are high tomorrow. If I can't change via the app, whats the best way to standby/waitlist for any no shows? Talk to an agent at check-in or go straight to the gate? I'll just have carry-on.
Possibly at check-in. But there is another option. I have sent you a PM.
brenrox likes this.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Mar 3, 2024 at 4:49 pm
Old Mar 4, 2024, 7:17 pm

Air New Zealand dont offer domestic standby with the one exception being staff travel.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by henrus
Air New Zealand dont offer domestic standby with the one exception being staff travel.
I have had it once in the longue. Had a Flexi, no options available. Scanned red as more than 4h. Explained that I couldn't change flight. Agent asked if I just had carryon, said I could in and that she would put me on the list. Got a page in the lonuge for a flight once check-in in closed. Ended up with a block of 3 to self, guessing a group no showed.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 8:20 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by henrus
Yes, they do offer standby for commercial passengers. You are probably referring to the previous Standby Fares they used to offer but got rid off. Standby Fares were at a heavily reduced price, I believe earned no APD/SP or gave lounge access, and a high chance of being offloaded even after space is confirmed. However, commercial standby is space-available at a full Y fare level, and if confirmed, you are treated like a normal commercial passenger - APD/SP earn, lounge access, and only offloaded in extenuating circumstances subject to normal passenger prioritisation.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by LyingFlat
Yes, they do offer standby for commercial passengers. You are probably referring to the previous Standby Fares they used to offer but got rid off. Standby Fares were at a heavily reduced price, I believe earned no APD/SP or gave lounge access, and a high chance of being offloaded even after space is confirmed. However, commercial standby is space-available at a full Y fare level, and if confirmed, you are treated like a normal commercial passenger - APD/SP earn, lounge access, and only offloaded in extenuating circumstances subject to normal passenger prioritisation.
Do you mean ‘commercial’ as in a formal Client-AirNZ relationship? Or just any pax willing to pay?

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Mar 4, 2024 at 8:39 pm
Old Mar 4, 2024, 8:39 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Do you mean commercial as in a formal Client-AirNZ relationship? Of just any pax willing to pay?
As in any pax willing to pay. "Commercial" is one of those terms in the industry to refer to anyone who isn't a non-revenue pax (such as staff travel). I used the phrase due to the reference to staff travel by henrus.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 1:17 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand
I dilly-dallied on changing a full flexi evening flight from ZQN to AKL next week (after walking the Humpridge Track) and the seats disappeared. At the time seat-select showed about a dozen seats available to me but that doesn't mean seats hadn't been sold - just not selected.
As there were no other evening seats seats available from either IVC or ZQN I'll have to stay overnight in ZQN. Is it worth rocking up to the airport at ZQN and trying my luck for a standby? Aggravating factors: two of us with check-in bags.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.