Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Overnight in YVR from AC to NZ Baggage Question

Old Mar 3, 2024, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AE

I am travelling internationally in business starting in Europe and traveling AC to YVR. But the flight arrives after the NZ flight departs to AKL, so I depart the next day. All on one ticket.

I am permitted 3 X 32 KG luggage on AC that I will use. NZ has a 3 X 24 KG limited. Will the bags have to be collected in YVR and rechecked in the next day by me, or will they stay at the airport overnight. And will I get hit with an excess weight charge with NZ?
Old Mar 3, 2024, 4:34 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
You will likely need to collect and re-check. Also, NZ's weight limit is 23kg not 24kg.

As for your allowance, what does your ticket say? For interline journeys, many airlines now display comprehensive allowance information somewhere on the ticket due to US DOT rules (it was easier to apply the information requirements across all tickets rather than just ones which touched the US).

Does the NZ flight have a scheduled departure time within 24 hours of your AC flight's scheduled arrival time? Same-ticket flights within 24 hours of one another are generally considered by the industry as "connections" or "transits" - even when you need to collect luggage, clear customs, and re-check etc. So, despite your overnight in YVR, if the NZ flight departs within 24 hours of your AC arrival, it's likely that AC's allowance will be applied to it (due to IATA's Most Significant Carrier rules).

However, if NZ's allowance applies to your YVR-AKL flight, assuming you have Star Alliance Gold status, you will be entitled to 4x 23kg bags. This is made up of the Business Class 3x 23kg allowance + 1x 23kg extra bag for being *G. This extra bag is permitted as your ticketed itinerary has 2 or more Star Alliance carriers. If your ticket was solely NZ-operated, it would be capped at 3x 23 bags with no additional *G allowance.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 6:10 pm

Programs: NZ*G, MAR Titanium, HLT Diamond
YVR Connections Guide 2022 onward

The above transit guide is very useful. It seems that all international to international bags will be transferred as long as they are properly tagged. As long as your bags are tagged and accepted by AC, NZ will not likely overwrite it but do check the allowance indicated on your ticket.

I have not heard of any circunstance where NZ would allow you to check in 4 x 23kg for free. I did enquire about the *G benefit and was told that NZ give the "extra" allowance to everyone so that *G will no longer get an extra bag which is totally made up and in violation of *A rules.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
I have not heard of any circunstance where NZ would allow you to check in 4 x 23kg for free. I did enquire about the *G benefit and was told that NZ give the "extra" allowance to everyone so that *G will no longer get an extra bag which is totally made up and in violation of *A rules.
NZ have allowed you take 4 bags in Business for many years and I personally have used the benefit several times. Their policy is quite clear - the ticketed itinerary must have two or more Star Alliance carriers on it (they don't need to be connecting flights) in order for Elite/Gold/*G to receive a 4th bag.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by LyingFlat
NZ have allowed you take 4 bags in Business for many years and I personally have used the benefit several times. Their policy is quite clear - the ticketed itinerary must have two or more Star Alliance carriers on it (they don't need to be connecting flights) in order for Elite/Gold/*G to receive a 4th bag.
As a *G status holder, you don't need a second carrier on the ticket to check in an extra bag in Economy (not counting Seat Only) but you do in Business?

I just checked NZ's baggage policy and they have indeed updated this under Gold benefits to include a 4th bag wording. Not sure when they made the change but still it's inconsistent with *A policy as *A website mentions nothing about having to involve more than 1 carrier and no other *A carrier does it.

Last edited by Xiaotung; Mar 3, 2024 at 7:31 pm
Old Mar 3, 2024, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Xiaotung AirNZ ignores various elements of *A policy as it chooses. For example, the T&C of Airports requires that only one ff# can be entered into a booking.

So, as a TG*G member, wanting to accrue into Airpoints (no status then) meant that Lounge access was not allowed, I even tried waving my TG*G card politely in CHC but was firmly denied access until they had replaced my TG*G with my NZ ff#. They did allow this until around 2014-15, as the system has fields FQTV (for accrual) and FQTS (for status) and so two different ff#s can be entered.

I queried AirNZ by email on this, noting that *A policy stated that access to *A branded lounges only required me to present my *G. Further, other *A airlines had no issue accruing to one program whilst using the status of another - indeed that seemed to me to be the point of the Alliance. The response was that I either had my Airpoints ff# or another ff#, but if Airpoints ff# used then I couldn't access the benefits of the other program. I finally asked if I could enter my SQ ff# into an NZ booking, and present my TG*G card to access the lounge, and it was agreed that this could be allowed on the basis that Airpoints was not involved.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Mar 3, 2024 at 7:56 pm
Old Mar 3, 2024, 7:55 pm

Yes, it makes zero sense. So if I travel in Business from AKL-LAX, for instance, I only get to check in 3 bags but if I fly AKL-LAX-SFO, I get to check in a 4th piece. Where is the logic in that? How does flying NZ only get punished?

Sorry to deviate from the topic but I just can't help but rant.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AE
Less than 24 hour connection. The conversation was helpful.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 3:30 am

As a *G status holder, you don't need a second carrier on the ticket to check in an extra bag in Economy (not counting Seat Only) but you do in Business?
Yes, I suppose there are financial considerations for Air NZ with additional costs incurred (weight, for example) should people take an extra bag. Plus, it's also a potential revenue earner as they can charge full airport rates for a 4th bag (they don't allow pre-pay bags when a passenger's allowance is 3 pieces). Because it's their own metal, they may as well take the opportunity to generate revenue/limit costs if they can.

I just checked NZ's baggage policy and they have indeed updated this under Gold benefits to include a 4th bag wording. Not sure when they made the change but still it's inconsistent with *A policy as *A website mentions nothing about having to involve more than 1 carrier and no other *A carrier does it.
This has been updated for many years - close to a decade I'd say.

Yes, it makes zero sense. So if I travel in Business from AKL-LAX, for instance, I only get to check in 3 bags but if I fly AKL-LAX-SFO, I get to check in a 4th piece. Where is the logic in that? How does flying NZ only get punished?
From my understanding, *A rules allow individual carriers to implement their own policies when it comes to *G benefits on itineraries that are solely their own metal. This is the case with various "Light" fares (no baggage) offered by the LH Group, UA domestic having no lounge access for it's own UA*G members, and NZ's Seat Only fares no giving an extra piece of luggage for *G. However, where an itinerary has 2+ *A carriers, the rules generally require airlines to accept an additional piece of check-in luggage (an exception may apply to LH/LX/OS/SN Light fares as they are part of the same group).

I remember many years ago a ticketing error permitted an end-on-end combination between an LH Light fare (no baggage) and an NZ Business fare (3 pieces). The passenger was NZ Elite and his itinerary was AKL-LHR in BP on NZ2 with a few days in London. Then LHR-FRA on an LH Light fare. He had 4x checked bags - 3x as Business + 1x extra as NZ*G. No issues with a 4th bag at AKL due to 2+ *A carriers, but a big fight with LH at check-in in LHR. LH ultimately had to accept all 4 bags as both they and NZ were on the same ticket - plus, USDOT and MSC rules also applied. If he wasn't *G, then they would've only had to accept 3 bags.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by LyingFlat
From my understanding, *A rules allow individual carriers to implement their own policies when it comes to *G benefits on itineraries that are solely their own metal. This is the case with various "Light" fares (no baggage) offered by the LH Group, UA domestic having no lounge access for it's own UA*G members, and NZ's Seat Only fares no giving an extra piece of luggage for *G. However, where an itinerary has 2+ *A carriers, the rules generally require airlines to accept an additional piece of check-in luggage (an exception may apply to LH/LX/OS/SN Light fares as they are part of the same group).

I remember many years ago a ticketing error permitted an end-on-end combination between an LH Light fare (no baggage) and an NZ Business fare (3 pieces). The passenger was NZ Elite and his itinerary was AKL-LHR in BP on NZ2 with a few days in London. Then LHR-FRA on an LH Light fare. He had 4x checked bags - 3x as Business + 1x extra as NZ*G. No issues with a 4th bag at AKL due to 2+ *A carriers, but a big fight with LH at check-in in LHR. LH ultimately had to accept all 4 bags as both they and NZ were on the same ticket - plus, USDOT and MSC rules also applied. If he wasn't *G, then they would've only had to accept 3 bags.
When NZ became the first alliance member to introduce fares with no bags, *A told them that if there was another *A carrier involved on the same ticket, they must honour extra *G baggage allowance. This is very different from what you describe. Other carriers understand this very well except NZ.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 6:38 am

When NZ became the first alliance member to introduce fares with no bags, *A told them that if there was another *A carrier involved on the same ticket, they must honour extra *G baggage allowance. This is very different from what you describe. Other carriers understand this very well except NZ.
Do you know what an end-on-end is? If you did, you would see that it's not different at all. An end-on-end is where one carrier's fare is sold on the stock of another carrier in conjunction with that other carrier's own fare. In this case, the passenger had booked AKL-LHR-FRA but instead of issuing a NZ BP AKL-LHR-FRA fare, the 'system' issued a single ticket with two separate fares - an NZ AKL-LHR BP fare plus a LH LHR-FRA Y Light fare (which being on 086 stock is an end-on-end). The point of the matter is that even though an LH Light fare does not include any checked luggage, because it was issued on the same ticket as another *A carrier, they had to accept luggage without charge. Additionally, because of USDOT and MSC rules as well as *G luggage benefits, they had to accept a total of 4 bags, all because a system error issued a zero-bag fare on the same ticket as another *A carrier.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.