Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

AirNZ: Purchasing return flight and only using outbound...

AirNZ: Purchasing return flight and only using outbound...

Old Feb 28, 2024, 8:50 pm

Programs: NZ*G, MAR Titanium, HLT Diamond
Originally Posted by merrickdb
Note that you can often make the return up to a year out for the same price (depending on the fare rules), so you might want to put the return close to the end of ticket validity in case you need it. You might also be able to book an open jaw like PVG-AKL-DPS thats cheaper (typically youre charged half the round trip fair for each leg, so try to find the cheapest AKL-XXX round trip as long as PVG-XXX is shorter than PVG-AKL and XXX-AKL).
That's exactly what I was thinking. Also this would give you a greater chance of a schedule change in which case you could get a close to full refund.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Yes, I even tested this with a non-refundable $1 GrabaSeat fare (back when these were a thing), and just went through the process advising AirNZ I wouldnt fly and they could cancel my ticket, but I wanted the tax back. They grudgingly complied.
No wonder they take 45 minutes to answer your calls now haha
Old Feb 29, 2024, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by prp343
No wonder they take 45 minutes to answer your calls now haha
LOL - was back in 2009 and not sure how many call centre staff would still be around today 😎. And I was NZ Jade having just returned from 4 years overseas. Besides, the least I could do to claw back the many credit card fees imposed

History aside, the retention of taxes from cancelled tickets from those that dont know or cant be bothered claiming them all adds to AirNZs coffers

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.