Seat select A320 domestic

Old Jan 28, 2024, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Seat select A320 domestic

I've just booked some WLG-AKL return flights for 9/10 March and upon getting to seat select for the return leg don't seem to have many options.

Why is row 6 preferred seating? I can book (free) for the outbound leg but not return.

Old Jan 28, 2024, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
See below...

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Jan 28, 2024 at 4:30 pm
Old Jan 28, 2024, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems to be a feature of NZ691 on Sundays that rows 4-6 are paid 'preferred' seating .....

Here is the EF seat map for Sunday flights NZ457 (left) and NZ691 (right)

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Jan 28, 2024 at 4:35 pm
Old Jan 28, 2024, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

How odd. Has nobody got to the bottom of it?

Guess I'll just have to pay the $18 to not sit in row 18. A trivial amount but once again comes back to a question of what is the point of maintaining NZ status.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Chessboxin

Guess I'll just have to pay the $18 to not sit in row 18. A trivial amount but once again comes back to a question of what is the point of maintaining NZ status.
What's to get to the bottom of?

Different flights and day AirNZ tweaks the frequent flyer & preferred seating to match loads and flyer types.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 5:10 pm

Programs: NZ Koru

On flights with typically less frequent flyers, NZ decided to try make a extra buck by selling some of these seats are "Preferred".

Often I find its now better value to fly the main-trunk on JQ with the Flex Bundle, which even gives you $10 onboard credit (and open seat select). The AKL Lounge isn't work flying NZ anymore, there is more chance to get a seat out side of it.
Chessboxin likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Presumably 2 of you on the booking, and it isn't FlexiChange nor FlexiRefund. This naturally limits options.
Other flights are pretty heavily sold as well.

You could sit apart, sit down back, or pay $18...
Old Jan 28, 2024, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
On flights with typically less frequent flyers, NZ decided to try make a extra buck by selling some of these seats are "Preferred".

Often I find its now better value to fly the main-trunk on JQ with the Flex Bundle, which even gives you $10 onboard credit (and open seat select). The AKL Lounge isn't work flying NZ anymore, there is more chance to get a seat out side of it.
Perhaps, but that doesn't seem to be the complete story. If you look at my post with the EF screenshots, what they appear to have done is to move the Preferred Seats 'block' of rows further forward, rather than being additional. Of course, that puts them in the former Space+ zone.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Presumably 2 of you on the booking, and it isn't FlexiChange nor FlexiRefund. This naturally limits options.
Other flights are pretty heavily sold as well.

You could sit apart, sit down back, or pay $18...
Correct. On account of paying $1200 for the 2 x return flights I refused to book anything other than a seat.

Guess it's a matter of "if you don't want to be subject to the airline's arbitrary policies and issues, fly private"
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 6:14 pm

Also is P!Nk is in Auckland that weekend so suspect heavier loadings & people booking in advance hence more seats gone.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 9:43 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
And remember 691 is a AKL-WLG-DUN flight with a lot of poeple that connect right through so it's very different to 457.
Chessboxin likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 11:05 pm

Programs: NZ EP
On the 320 domestics, do both exit rows 11 and 12 have the same seat pitch?
Old Mar 10, 2024, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gasfoodlodging
On the 320 domestics, do both exit rows 11 and 12 have the same seat pitch?
What does it say on the AirNZ seat map? This information is readily available there.... https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/seat-maps
And it might depend if it is the 320 or 320 NEO....
Gasfoodlodging likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.