NZ2 and NZ1 cancelled this weekend

Old Jan 27, 2024, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G
NZ2 and NZ1 cancelled this weekend

Just got home after hanging out in the AKL lounge with our kids for a few hours. Anybody know whether they can do the whole nz2 and nz1 thing a day late with a one-off flight? No idea if that ever happens. Or will they have to rebook like 400 passengers onto wacky itineraries.... there are still seats on the Monday NZ2 so Im almost wanting to book onto that one straight away rather than waiting for the NZ team to rebook us to something less pleasant.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by smanch
Just got home after hanging out in the AKL lounge with our kids for a few hours. Anybody know whether they can do the whole nz2 and nz1 thing a day late with a one-off flight? No idea if that ever happens. Or will they have to rebook like 400 passengers onto wacky itineraries.... there are still seats on the Monday NZ2 so Im almost wanting to book onto that one straight away rather than waiting for the NZ team to rebook us to something less pleasant.
Going to go with no as they would have to cancel something else as pretty sure they don't have any extra 787s sitting around.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 3:03 am

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
The same aircraft is scheduled to depart as NZ2 at 8.10 am tomorrow- Sunday with a 5am arrival!!
Old Jan 27, 2024, 3:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bce1
The same aircraft is scheduled to depart as NZ2 at 8.10 am tomorrow- Sunday with a 5am arrival!!
Wait what? With, like, passengers on it? Maybe they'll be calling us soon hahahh
Old Jan 27, 2024, 3:50 am
Original Poster

Pretty weird, NZ1 is also cancelled tomorrow, so seems strange for them to send this plane to NYC. They haven't rebooked us yet, or at least not showing up in app and no phone call. To get there for an 810h departure we'd need to be up at 5 ....
Old Jan 27, 2024, 11:46 am

Programs: Air NZ *E
Just got home there are still seats on the Monday NZ2 so Im almost wanting to book onto that one straight away rather than waiting for the NZ team to rebook us to something less pleasant.
Having been caught up in NZ1 cancels and others in the last year or two, I know from experience that proactive self-booking onto an alternative flight in the same class is usually seen as acceptable by Air NZ, and the rescue booking will usually then be absorbed into your original itinerary, and the rescue flight payment refunded. This is an Elite members experience, so YMMV. This also means you have to pay for the flight first!
Old Jan 27, 2024, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JayKiwi
Having been caught up in NZ1 cancels and others in the last year or two, I know from experience that proactive self-booking onto an alternative flight in the same class is usually seen as acceptable by Air NZ, and the rescue booking will usually then be absorbed into your original itinerary, and the rescue flight payment refunded. This is an Elite members experience, so YMMV. This also means you have to pay for the flight first!
It's funny in many years of back and forth to the states and Canada this is only my second cancelled flight. The first was an earlier AKL-LAX and they just moved us to the later one.

Anyway we're all good now, they put us on QF3 this afternoon and appear to have booked W tickets for all four of us (we'd booked Y and had RU and APD upgrades clear).

I wonder if anyone made it onto the 8:10 rescheduled NZ2, still shows up with that departure on flightaware
SeaProf and Murihiku like this.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...Anyway we're all good now, they put us on QF3 this afternoon and appear to have booked W tickets for all four of us (we'd booked Y and had RU and APD upgrades clear).....
Should be able to claim for the QF flights to a Oneworld airline freq flyer program. An also maybe able to claim to Air NZ ffp for cancelled flights.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Should be able to claim for the QF flights to a Oneworld airline freq flyer program. An also maybe able to claim to Air NZ ffp for cancelled flights.
Ah yea I wondered about that. My NZ*GE renewal is gonna be pretty tight without this one so hopefully they do credit something.
I think I have an old AA account I haven't used in ages, would I just get them to add it at checkin? Presumably they can't put an NZ FFP number on a QF flight
Old Jan 27, 2024, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I also see NZ105 AKL-SYD is cancelled today, and also on Friday 26 Jan. I wonder if this was due to reduced thru traffic to Australia from the US? Or just more 'tech' issues...
Old Jan 27, 2024, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA ff miles have expiry, but better than nothing.

Could join QF ffp. They have a joining cost, but easy to find free ways. https://www.australianfrequentflyer....lyer-join-fee/
With QF ffp, points can be transferred at no cost between eligible family members. With QF can join 30days(?) after a flight. AKL-JFK in PE (W) a reasonable ff earner.
Putting the NZ FFP number on a QF flight reservation will do nothing. May just confuse the system. The system would see as "credited to another ffp" , even though nil earning.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
I also see NZ105 AKL-SYD is cancelled today, and also on Friday 26 Jan. I wonder if this was due to reduced thru traffic from the US?
If it's informative, the message from NZ was that the aircraft aircon wasn't working....
Old Jan 27, 2024, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
AA ff miles have expiry, but better than nothing.

Could join QF ffp. They have a joining cost, but easy to find free ways. https://www.australianfrequentflyer....lyer-join-fee/
With QF ffp, points can be transferred at no cost between eligible family members. With QF can join 30days(?) after a flight. AKL-JFK in PE (W) a reasonable ff earner.
Putting the NZ FFP number on a QF flight reservation will do nothing. May just confuse the system. The system would see as "credited to another ffp" , even though nil earning.
Cool thanks, will give it a go at signing up... have never actually flown QF despite living in NZ for the better part of a decade!
Old Jan 27, 2024, 3:35 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Ah yea I wondered about that. My NZ*GE renewal is gonna be pretty tight without this one so hopefully they do credit something.
I think I have an old AA account I haven't used in ages, would I just get them to add it at checkin? Presumably they can't put an NZ FFP number on a QF flight
To get NZ SPs you will need to contact them after the flight and claim "original routing credit". They won't post automatically.

Points to aa or qf for the qf flight can be a nice double dip in effect.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
To get NZ SPs you will need to contact them after the flight and claim "original routing credit". They won't post automatically.

Points to aa or qf for the qf flight can be a nice double dip in effect.
Will give it a shot! I wonder whether the NZ lounge will let us in since we're not flying *A (but it's still an NZ 086 ticket.....hmm)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.