Best J to London

Old Oct 24, 2023, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite, Qantas Platinum
Best J to London

Prompted by commenter on my last thread re discounted long haul J on Air NZ to London from NZ, wondering what the current best thinking is in terms of value for money for J to London from NZ. I am in a position to be able to treat myself but also not got crazy. My sense is the Air NZ product is now very inferior to what else is out there, but that is just a sense, and my last few trips in J on Air NZ have been pretty underwhelming. It also seems pretty expensive.
There are good fares involving China Eastern out there, what is that like?
Old Oct 24, 2023, 2:22 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Check out the Qatar Q Suite specials
Old Oct 24, 2023, 5:29 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by newtestleper
Prompted by commenter on my last thread re discounted long haul J on Air NZ to London from NZ, wondering what the current best thinking is in terms of value for money for J to London from NZ. I am in a position to be able to treat myself but also not got crazy. My sense is the Air NZ product is now very inferior to what else is out there, but that is just a sense, and my last few trips in J on Air NZ have been pretty underwhelming. It also seems pretty expensive.
Never flown China Eastern before. However, feedback from clients of mine (and those of my colleagues) is to avoid travelling through China at the moment. It's not a very streamlined transit experience.

As for who is best to fly with, this is a lot more difficult to answer. A lot of it will come down to when you are wanting to travel and what is important to you (cost, hard product, soft product, transits, alliances, etc.). If you can find a sub-$10K fare I think you'll be doing very well.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 6:35 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, KQ Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Choice Gold
Originally Posted by newtestleper
If youre talking best value then yea China Eastern can offer some crazily good rates. I flew with them to the AKL-PVG-MNL return in business class for the same as it would have cost me in economy with Air NZ. Onboard they were fine, but I definitely wouldnt classify them as close to best.

QR Q suites, EK or SQ (the latter particularly good if leaving out of CHC rather than AKL) remain my favourite ways to get to London/Europe. QR offer some pretty decent specials which make them surprisingly competitive and typically cheaper whenever Ive booked.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Mods. Please consider moving this discussion to a more appropriate thread, given this is discussing J options on anything except AirNZ
Old Oct 24, 2023, 11:09 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Mods. Please consider moving this discussion to a more appropriate thread, given this is discussing J options on anything except AirNZ
Haha.......
This shows how uncompetitive AirNZ have become on product and price.
This forum has supporters of Air NZ, and there has not been a single recommendation of them as an option.
Safe travels.
Thai-Kiwi and Purplelab like this.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 11:18 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by WLGNZ
Haha.......
This forum has supporters of Air NZ, and there has not been a single recommendation of them as an option.
Safe travels.
Except that I will be interested to try the leased Cathay 77W.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...77-first-class
Old Oct 24, 2023, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Haha.......
Safe travels.
Indeed. I have just purchased a Q flexi-economy fare for $4600 with THAI to London next August, and applied my Gold Upgrade which means all 4 longhaul sectors on TG have been upgraded to business class (J). Sweet!

A family member travelling for the same reason wants to maximise their AirNZ Gold Elite benefits is looking at $6200 for a PE fare, but struggling to find suitable combinations where the NZ sectors (2/4 longhaul) have R class AND have reasonable connections on other *A airlines.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 11:24 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by Xiaotung

This is a great comparison

Thai-Kiwi, taupo and poopbunny like this.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 11:53 pm

Haha.......
Safe travels.
Because AirNZ ddoesn't fly the route anymore, so hard to recommend something doesn't exisit.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 3:40 am

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
I fly to London 3-4 times a year and have (COVID excluded) for the last 15 years), 90% were NZ1/2 and with early booking and sales i usually got a reasonable fare.
I'm not sure if NZ partners are not releasing cheap fare buckets for NZ to book into but prices onwards from NA remain very high. NZ might be selling a cheap J class to NA, but if all of its partners are only selling C-type fares onwards to LHR - NZ must match the onward airline fare class, so they sell you the NZ sector as a C fare (even though J class is available) which is still making for really pricey tickets, even though NZ has dropped their own NA sectors prices.
Previously in J NZ to LHR was 1-1.5K more expensive than NZ to North America. Now NZ is selling (on a good day) NA for $7-8K return, but on the same day to LHR the difference is upto double the NA fare. I feel really ripped off booking NZ. Better alternatives sadly. I have said before and not wanting to sound like a broken record - but you can get cheaper EK and QF F fares than NZ business to LHR on many days for weeks at a time.
poopbunny likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by Xiaotung

I hope for Air NZs sake that their new fit out whenever it arrives is superior otherwise it will likely start off with a very negative comparison even from customers who are loyal but have used the Cathay 77W. Last time I flew Cathay Business it was on an A350-900 and that was vastly superior to NZs current hard product.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 1:28 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
Agree re QR - their destination reach in Europe is impressive for one stop options. I prefer to take a single carrier the whole way and not deal with issues related to another code share carrier

flew CX to Europe in June/July - just under 10k. Hard product was excellent and soft product excellent also - efficient ! This was pre QR going direct to Doha.

a350-900/1000 on nearly all routes and as OWE the F lounges on OW are amazing.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 8:52 pm

Programs: Air NZ *E
Originally Posted by LyingFlat
.......feedback from clients of mine (and those of my colleagues) is to avoid travelling through China at the moment. It's not a very streamlined transit experience.
Do you know if that feedback extends to the likes of VA transit to Air NZ through PVG? Mention this because it is specifically called out as one code share where provided you have any checked bags tagged through to AKL (from LHR), you do not need any transit visa of any kind, and can stay airside etc.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 9:45 pm

You don't need a transit visa and can stay airside if you have the same flight on the same day, i think the experience LyingFlat was talking about was the whole waiting on a chair by some deserted corridor, they take your passports off you and do their checks while you wait there cluelessly, then eventually you get herded like sheep thru various scanners before finally making it back to the (airside) transit area
LyingFlat likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.