PE Seat Selection Question/Gripe

Old Sep 28, 2023, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

PE Seat Selection Question/Gripe

The scenario -

AKL-NAN 789v1
Booked family in PE x 4
Arrived at seat select and they had 5 ops blocked seats, no HVC seats, 3 standard seats (middle row) and 5 $10 preferred seats (bulkhead) available, the rest were already allocated (the 2 rows of 2 non bulkhead both sides, clearly the best seats)

So here's my question (or gripe), with the seats available my only option was to take the 3 standard seats and have to pay $10 for a preferred seat (a bulkhead which I hate), or do not seat select at all. Do they have HVC seats available in PE on all flights or are they standard or preferred only in a V1?

Am I just an in a 'hard luck' situation? I know it's only $10 but it's the principle of having little option but to take it or just roll with the ops seat allocation lottery. I get 48hrs out those preferred seats still available open up for free, but maybe when there are no other seats but preferred, HVC should be able to select them at time of booking for no charge?
Old Sep 28, 2023, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by racekp
The scenario -

AKL-NAN 789v1
Booked family in PE x 4
Arrived at seat select and they had 5 ops blocked seats, no HVC seats, 3 standard seats (middle row) and 5 $10 preferred seats (bulkhead) available, the rest were already allocated (the 2 rows of 2 non bulkhead both sides, clearly the best seats)

So here's my question (or gripe), with the seats available my only option was to take the 3 standard seats and have to pay $10 for a preferred seat (a bulkhead which I hate), or do not seat select at all. Do they have HVC seats available in PE on all flights or are they standard or preferred only in a V1?

Am I just an in a 'hard luck' situation? I know it's only $10 but it's the principle of having little option but to take it or just roll with the ops seat allocation lottery. I get 48hrs out those preferred seats still available open up for free, but maybe when there are no other seats but preferred, HVC should be able to select them at time of booking for no charge?
Yeah, annoying. Youve been caught in a corner between different policies. The pink seats will open up 3-4 days prior, but someone might buy them. A family of 4 ends up being a bit constrained in this particular situation.

You might call AirNZ and ask them if they will allow some OP reserved seats for you? Or waive the $10 fee given the circumstances. Unlikely, but.

Our end of year trip of 5x family saw me break the trip into two with one adult son and partner travelling 5 days earlier and returning one day later. Then I realised the robot would ignore a group of 3 for RUs/$APUs, so split off other adult son. If some upgrades dont clear, we will sort via paper-scissors-rock.
racekp likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Yeah it's not a great situation being forced in to having to pay for a seat, especially when it's not even a seat I'd want. The mere fact they are blocking 5 seats for ops in a 21 seat cabin is crazy takes out ~25% of the options
Old Sep 29, 2023, 6:42 am

A data point of one, but I had success in calling in and kindly requesting a pink seat as a Gold flying in PE. All other seats were taken in my case and the request was granted without much push-back. Very impressed. YMMV but won't hurt trying.
Thai-Kiwi and racekp like this.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

An update on this one and a pleasing result. I did not take any action back in Sept when did OP

The flights had a v1 to v2 change so this opened up PE, was able to reselect seats for NAN-AKL on the app but blocked from seat select for AKL-NAN (could do seat select on a dummy booking). Emailed elite team as did not fancy calling and holding, took 48hrs for a reply for them to request additional verification info. Took another 48hrs for the reply with resolution.

Outcome: was able to get allocated our requested seats in the v2 layout with our family sitting together. On my original email, I mentioned the situation of seat select in the v1 and having no option but to pay the $10 fee and sitting away from the rest of my family. Did not request a refund however the agent proactively credited the $10 which is a nice gesture.

Last edited by racekp; Dec 10, 2023 at 12:24 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 11, 2023, 7:08 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), IHG Spire Elite, Accor ALL Gold
I think Air NZ have quietly scrapped the free preferred seat selection for Elite, Gold and Koru within 72 hours of the flight. I noticed last week on a AKL to WLG flight that I wasn't able to select a seat in the purple zone for free just before check in.

I'm also booked tomorrow in Premium Economy to go to Perth and I can't select a seat in the first purple row without paying even though it's less than 24 hours in advance.

​​​Just another benefit taken away because they realised that there are probably Elites and Golds who will pay for the purple seats.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by BZNZ
I think Air NZ have quietly scrapped the free preferred seat selection for Elite, Gold and Koru within 72 hours of the flight. I noticed last week on a AKL to WLG flight that I wasn't able to select a seat in the purple zone for free just before check in.

I'm also booked tomorrow in Premium Economy to go to Perth and I can't select a seat in the first purple row without paying even though it's less than 24 hours in advance.

​​​Just another benefit taken away because they realised that there are probably Elites and Golds who will pay for the purple seats.
Probably still can if you use a kiosk, or ask the premium checkin staff. Of course, they may be gone by then
Old Dec 11, 2023, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BZNZ

I hope that is not the case, I've got an upcoming INTL in a few weeks so will make a point to check. Either they have silently swept it under the carpet or have run in to some technical issue, but given it's been around for quite awhile and the way things are going my bet is its been canned

Still published as a benefit on the website

As TK mentions as a last resort can ask at checkin/lounge and if available I'm sure agent will have no issues assigning the seat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.