I'm furious

Old Sep 24, 2023, 4:29 am

Programs: NZ *G, AS 75K
I was flying AKL-SFO-LAS in 2019 on a NZ ticket, operated by United, and was overbooked at the gate in SFO.The boarding agent offered me 700 USD to get on the next flight in an hours time. I cheekily asked for a lounge pass too (was a measly NZ Silver at the time). To my horror they rolled their eyes, slammed a boarding pass on the kiosk and told me to get on the plane.

Lesson learned that American carriers can and will price you into a voluntary overbook vs Air NZ.

I still haven't forgiven myself for that...
Old Sep 24, 2023, 3:38 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
<AirNZ downgrade policy>
Note that this seems to be very selective in NZ's eyes, and requires an 086 ticket. Traveling on an 016 ticket I was involuntarily downgraded due to a 789 code 2 to code 1 swap, and NZ refused to put me on the next available flight saying they only do that if it's an 086 ticket. They also couldn't specify what the downgrade compensation would be.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 3:51 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand
So the airline has been paid for the ticket so no loss to them. They have an opportunity to re-sell the seat to a stand-by.
If the above is true, why do they need to oversell?
Old Sep 24, 2023, 3:53 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Not every airline booking requires advance ticketing: some more expensive fares either allow changes or cancellations for free (or nearly free) too. So to protect against these passengers making a last minute change, many airlines try to calibrate each flight on a presumed number of late changes. This was particularly true when international airfares in economy were three types: full fare, excursion and APEX. Nowadays most economy passengers are on airfares that are either non-refundable or lose a good chunk of change for cancellation or changes.

As well, if a particular flight does not sell well in the premium cabins, airlines will oversell economy and upgrade (opup) some economy passengers, usually frequently flyers. FRA YVR on LH used to be notorious for this: I was opup'd 50% of the time as an Aeroplan (* gold) member when I still lived in Canada. SQ hardly ever opups. I've been opuped once on NZ on RAR AKL. But from my experience, NZ does this less than many other carriers. Not never, but perhaps not often.

To somewhat protect yourself: book a seat assignment rather than just a ticket. The first onces to be bounced are almost always the ones who've not got an assigned seat.

Originally Posted by samjaynz
Can someone explain to a numpty like me the 'theory' behind overselling seats?

I get that airlines don't want to fly with empty seats, makes perfect sense. So I'm guessing the seats are oversold and there's just some allowance/hoping that enough people will cancel or not turn up before the flight?

Personally I've only been affected once by an overbooking (wife and I were travelling back on Ethihad from Singapore - at least I think it was Ethihad it was ages ago when we were just out of uni and so any travel was for the cheapest deal available).

We got to Changi very early as we wanted to do some duty free shopping - when checking in the agent said 'flight's overbooked, if you want to go an hour later on Singapore business class we can book you on that' which was a nice end to our holiday.

How hard would it be to have a law here that says an airline has to basically offer something (e.g. cash, travel credit, upgraded travel on a later service or whatever) at an increasing value until enough passengers take the offer up? If I'm travelling for leisure you can bet your bottom dollar I'll take a bumping if it means I get something more valuable in exchange. If you can't get that and then someone has to be forcibly bumped, then there needs to be compensation.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by jawnbc
To somewhat protect yourself: book a seat assignment rather than just a ticket. The first onces to be bounced are almost always the ones who've not got an assigned seat.
I’m not sure about this. Maybe.

HVCs and those on flexi type tickets may not bother with seat assignments, yet you’d hope they’d be prioritised over (say) a traveller on a sale fare that made an early seat allocation, and probably paid for it too.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 6:54 pm

Programs: QFF
I was downgraded earlier this year from J to Y (WD) AKL-NAN - after I'd checked in (route was WLG-AKL-NAN) and only at the gate for AKL/NAN. Was Silver at the time and iirc, the seat went to a GE (flight had an equipment swap on the 787, so less seats). Nothing in the downgrade polict was adhered to, and the poor gate agent wasn't in a position to help. Gave up trying to get a response from ANZ on it & why the policy went out the window.

LyingFlat might be able to shed more light on the OP's situation though - he/she seems to have some insight.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 12:30 pm

Regardless of what other airlines do, I think most can agree this behavior is just greedy (especially
given that they didn’t use to do it previously).

Notably, from their policy “An aircraft change is needed for operational or safety reasons and its use results in fewer seats being available” is an exclusion from compensation. This seems
to give them pretty wide latitude to, in their opinion, give you no compensation.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by Kiwi_FF
Nope the flight left without then they did get there late last night loosing a day. I emailed Foran who replied then said nothing.

I don’t accept oversold as a concept. It used to be you reserved paid when you were ticketed just before you flew and cancelled at whim.

none of that applies now. Overselling is double dipping and sitting in your hands and reigning down chaos is not ok.

I’ve told Foran I will switch $50k AirNZ travel to other carriers starting with $1k tomorrow.

I doubt anyone will care but ok send the boarding passes till it’s done to make a point.
I'm sorry you had a frustrating experience, but overselling has been a thing in the industry for many years. And I don't want to upset you, but whichever airline you're moving that $50K to also oversells their flights, too.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
If they don't get on the flight my Dunedin flight on Monday ($1000) will be cancelled and go to Jetstar, there is $1000 gone and I will not travel again on this pack of thugs unless there is no choice for the next year.

I’ve told Foran I will switch $50k AirNZ travel to other carriers starting with $1k tomorrow.

I doubt anyone will care but ok send the boarding passes till it’s done to make a point.
Be warned: Onestar also overbooks flights
Old Oct 15, 2023, 6:04 pm

We all know the lazy joke about NZ being 25 years behind the rest of the world, but overbookings and offloads were taking place well before 1998!
Reading all the comments posted on this thread, I'm absolutely amazed that so many Kiwi frequent flyers, signed up to flyertalk which frequently covers the very subject, seem to be totally oblivious that this industry practice ever existed....
Old Oct 15, 2023, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by redrob
We all know the lazy joke about NZ being 25 years behind the rest of the world, but overbookings and offloads were taking place well before 1998!
Reading all the comments posted on this thread, I'm absolutely amazed that so many Kiwi frequent flyers, signed up to flyertalk which frequently covers the very subject, seem to be totally oblivious that this industry practice ever existed....
Think more the thing that AirNZ was at the more conservative end so so rarely happened, so when it does happen it is more abrupt.

Not like the US where will regular an announcements about it.
waterwingsNZ likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 7:57 pm

During the disruption with the wind recently, had a family member end up getting rebooked and then denied boarding at airport due to overbooking.

Booking was for DUD-CHC-NSN airport, they just rebooked arriving an hour later with DUD-WLG-NSN and offered a voucher for $200 Air NZ credit (more than the flights cost) and $30 refreshments voucher for the airport.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 5:34 am

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by codyc1515
Notably, from their policy “An aircraft change is needed for operational or safety reasons and its use results in fewer seats being available” is an exclusion from compensation. This seems to give them pretty wide latitude to, in their opinion, give you no compensation.
It gives them room to *try* and shaft people, but the law and Disputes Tribunal will slap them down EVERY time if people make use of available options.

IMO NZ relies on the public being even less clueful than NZ themselves are, although NZ are also harming themselves by their culture of refusing to train their staff properly before releasing them into the wild. Conpentency *and* consistency in training seem to be something NZ actively fights against. It's why I hate flying them and equally why I so enjoy hauling them in front of the DT.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.