surprised by BP quality

Old Mar 5, 2024, 3:54 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by inlanikai
Found this thread and read the linked reviews. Wow - a manually reclining 789-J seat into lie-flat! Any intermediate positions or just all or nothing? So, what happens after a few hours sleep you want to get the seat up again to read or watch TV or work on an iPad - call the FA over to move the seat again? Rinse and repeat?

The wife and I are planning a JFK-AKL-JFK trip in late Oct - Nov of this year so the overall reviews on this seat are - to say the least - concerning. However, one review mentions that 789 should be getting a change of seating about the time we intend to travel. Is that timing still on track? Any other suggestions/experiences for this route? Thank you!
The seat is horrendous for lounging. Minimal recline, elbows confined by a wall on one side, hokey armrest on the side, no storage and you look into the aircraft cabin at the other passengers and their feet.
For sleeping though, it's pretty darn good.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by taupo
The seat is horrendous for lounging. Minimal recline, elbows confined by a wall on one side, hokey armrest on the side, no storage and you look into the aircraft cabin at the other passengers and their feet.
For sleeping though, it's pretty darn good.
To be fair, in row A you don't see other passengers feet.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 4:45 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand, Qantas, Vietnam Airlines
Certainly hit a nerve with the original post

Have not seen this much response to one post thic quickly. I seldom post but had to agree with everything said. I do two long haul return trips a month in J and now avoid AirNZ. Any airline now is superior in its hard product. The soft product is hit and miss. One in four sort of approaches other airlines service but the others can be very amateurish and excruciatingly slow. Food can be OK but usually uninspiring and the wine list seems to be getting cheaper.
I fly Cathay and with OWE status I.get treated far far better than being Elite on Air NZ. In fact, I have not had any recognition of status as far back as I can remember
I can sort of excuse the delay in new planes/seats.butmthe service side should have been resolved a long time ago.
They are definitely losing the premium long haul market

​​​​​​
Eltham likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 9:53 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand
Originally Posted by Outbound24
To be fair, in row A you don't see other passengers feet.
That row is very unpopular with the foot fetish people who tend to book out the rest of the BP cabin.
taupo and jimmyah like this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 12:44 am

Need more people to also give the feedback to not block the last two A row seats and do it in the middle row(s) instead
Old Mar 6, 2024, 1:12 am

Programs: Airpoints Elite
You guys are really making me feel better about the fact I normally travel in economy and sometimes splash out for PE (who am I kidding, I do that when I get it for free with an upgrade). Doesn't sound like I'm missing out on much relative to the extra cost.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 2:08 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by raznz
Need more people to also give the feedback to not block the last two A row seats and do it in the middle row(s) instead
Why? Those seats will often be either EP1 or paxing pilots - why would they want to allocate them worse seats in the middle?
Old Mar 6, 2024, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Why? Those seats will often be either EP1 or paxing pilots - why would they want to allocate them worse seats in the middle?
Or people who ask for free alpha seats at check-in
Old Mar 6, 2024, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Ive managed to ask for it during check in a few times now. So I guess if its not going to an ep1 or a paxing pilot its going to the last person getting upgraded
Old Mar 6, 2024, 10:30 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by raznz
Ive managed to ask for it during check in a few times now. So I guess if its not going to an ep1 or a paxing pilot its going to the last person getting upgraded
Pretty much.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by inlanikai
<snip>
The wife and I are planning a JFK-AKL-JFK trip in late Oct - Nov of this year so the overall reviews on this seat are - to say the least - concerning. However, one review mentions that 789 should be getting a change of seating about the time we intend to travel. Is that timing still on track? Any other suggestions/experiences for this route? Thank you!
AA partner Qantas also fly JFK-AKL nonstop.
Are many options to get from USA to NZ. Most will require a transit.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 5:23 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand
Originally Posted by samjaynz
You guys are really making me feel better about the fact I normally travel in economy and sometimes splash out for PE (who am I kidding, I do that when I get it for free with an upgrade). Doesn't sound like I'm missing out on much relative to the extra cost.
For daytime flights there's a good argument that PE is better than BP. Especially if travelling with a partner or friend. Same food as BP, plenty of room but more sociable and lower price.

P is fabulous for sleeping on a long overnight flight - that's undeniable.
taupo likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 5:28 pm

Programs: Airpoints Elite
Originally Posted by kryptonjohn
For daytime flights there's a good argument that PE is better than BP. Especially if travelling with a partner or friend. Same food as BP, plenty of room but more sociable and lower price.

I can buy that argument. I've never been disappointed with Air NZ PE, but I'm very much in the 'can only sleep lying down' camp (although strangely enough that has been less of an issue since having a child).
taupo likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 9:46 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Originally Posted by kryptonjohn

Except if you're tall -- at 6'1" my feet get squashed in the ottoman (the Polaris seat + AC Super Diamond seats have a bit more length so my feet don't touch the end)
taupo likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 11:10 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by samjnz
Except if you're tall -- at 6'1" my feet get squashed in the ottoman (the Polaris seat + AC Super Diamond seats have a bit more length so my feet don't touch the end)
At 64 I would often push the little back rest off the ottoman when sleeping
Dont worry, feet had socks on😉

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.