Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Is 1hr 50 enough at IAH (connection to NZ Flight

Old Jul 21, 2023, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life

Hi,

I am due to fly to Auckland on Boxing day, and my client has a booking held for me fro a flight via IAH. Due to leave LHR at 1345, on UA004, due to arrive at 1815, connecting to NZ29 at 2005. I don't fly a lot on Star. I've been sent the booking by the TA and it shows a different PNR for the LHR to IAH leg. It's part of an itinerary LHR - AKL - HAN - LHR. LHR to IAH on UA, IAH to AKL on NZ and then the same PNR for AKL - TYO, and another PNR for HAN - LHR on ANA on 29th January. I'm uneasy about only having 1hr 50 to connect at IAH, though NZ sell this route themselves. I'm especially uneasy if it is on separate bookings. I have annual business travel insurance, but this would be a pig to deal with in Christmas period if I misconnected and couldn't get rebooked. The AKL - TYO leg on 14/1 would likely be affected also. I don't know if UA do what AA do and use a different booking system which gives a different PNR. For me, doing this on separate bookings appears to be asking for trouble. It's not an inexpensive routing - about 8k, but it is not a straightforward return.

Am I worrying unnecessarily? I will have to go through immigration, but I'm getting mixed feedback on whether I would have to collect baggage and recheck. If the latter is necessary, I don't think it is sensible, though I believe that UA will check through to AKL due to both being star alliance, and it is within the 90 min MCT.

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 21, 2023, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
I'm especially uneasy if it is on separate bookings.
And rightly so; if it is on separate bookings, then you should not accept the ticket.

Make sure the TA books this as one single reservation.

I will have to go through immigration, but I'm getting mixed feedback on whether I would have to collect baggage and recheck. If the latter is necessary, I don't think it is sensible,
"All connecting international passengers must go through TSA Security Recheck before proceeding to their onward flight (after processing through Immigration & Customs and collecting and rechecking baggage)."
source: https://www.fly2houston.com/iah/international-travel

Last edited by irishguy28; Jul 21, 2023 at 7:46 am
Old Jul 21, 2023, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
And rightly so; if it is on separate bookings, then you should not accept the ticket.

Make sure the TA books this as one single reservation.

"All connecting international passengers must go through TSA Security Recheck before proceeding to their onward flight (after processing through Immigration & Customs and collecting and rechecking baggage)."
source: https://www.fly2houston.com/iah/international-travel
I did a google search including flyertalk, and the advice was that the bags will be transferred automatically, hence my confusion. I also came across that link
Old Jul 21, 2023, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Can you not just have a word with your client? There is no reason to force you to do a RTW and/or to connect via the US.

You can just as easily (in fact, more easily) get to AKL by transiting Asia/Middle East than via North America.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Can you not just have a word with your client? There is no reason to force you to do a RTW and/or to connect via the US.

You can just as easily (in fact, more easily) get to AKL by transiting Asia/Middle East than via North America.
The client is rather enamoured with Air NZ (I'd rather do One World because of my Lifetime BA Gold but air fares are about double of air NZ prices). The issue is that NZ1 from LHR hasn't restarted yet.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 3:41 pm

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
The client is rather enamoured with Air NZ (I'd rather do One World because of my Lifetime BA Gold but air fares are about double of air NZ prices). The issue is that NZ1 from LHR hasn't restarted yet.
Our corporate TA stitched a semi-complex itinerary AirNZ stock AKL-(NZ)YVR-(BA)LHR (open jaw) YOW-(AC)-YVR-AKL, and a separate AC stock LHR-YYZ-YOW.

The 2 airline PNRs sat within a single travel agency PNR. I suspect this is what the TA will offer you, and poster LyingFlat can probably explain all of this.

NZ has no plans for LHR, and has rebranded the flagship NZ1 from JFk-AKL.

Others can comment on the connection time and transfer matters.

Finally, itd probably be cheaper via Asia. Odd to be enamoured by AirNZ ti the extent of prescribing carriers (or are they also flying?).
Old Jul 21, 2023, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am due to fly to Auckland on Boxing day, and my client has a booking held for me fro a flight via IAH. Due to leave LHR at 1345, on UA004, due to arrive at 1815, connecting to NZ29 at 2005. I don't fly a lot on Star. I've been sent the booking by the TA and it shows a different PNR for the LHR to IAH leg. It's part of an itinerary LHR - AKL - HAN - LHR. LHR to IAH on UA, IAH to AKL on NZ and then the same PNR for AKL - TYO, and another PNR for HAN - LHR on ANA on 29th January. I'm uneasy about only having 1hr 50 to connect at IAH, though NZ sell this route themselves. I'm especially uneasy if it is on separate bookings. I have annual business travel insurance, but this would be a pig to deal with in Christmas period if I misconnected and couldn't get rebooked. The AKL - TYO leg on 14/1 would likely be affected also. I don't know if UA do what AA do and use a different booking system which gives a different PNR. For me, doing this on separate bookings appears to be asking for trouble. It's not an inexpensive routing - about 8k, but it is not a straightforward return.

Am I worrying unnecessarily? I will have to go through immigration, but I'm getting mixed feedback on whether I would have to collect baggage and recheck. If the latter is necessary, I don't think it is sensible, though I believe that UA will check through to AKL due to both being star alliance, and it is within the 90 min MCT.
What is the full routes (with airline). Looks like a low low priced UK bucket shop RTW cobbled together, maybe with single sectors
Or they may have booked you on some RTW type ticket
Star--> https://roundtheworld.staralliance.c...ound-the-world

Is this economy or business (~8k)? Flexible.(changeable dates)?
January is busy time for (economy) personal travel in this part of the world
Route--> A map from the Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper

Very common for an airline to have its own PNR for its flights, as well as master PNR from a travel agent
How many e-ticket numbers do you have?
Fare booking class/classes?
It may be a good ff mile / status earner to a ffp.

Entering the USA you need to clear immigration and customs with all your carry on and checked bags. That takes time. From https://awt.cbp.gov/ select IAH. You only have 1:50hr if UA LHR-IAH is on time. Would not expect AirNZ to wait for you. Will need a USA visa/visa waiver.

In addition to above post 2, from thread below you will not be able to use the very uncommon "international to international" bag transfer without customs.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35115869-post3.html
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
International to International Transfer is offer at a limited number of airports and just to certain carriers at that airport.
UA @ IAH
AA @ MIA & DFW
DL @ DTW & ATL
there may be others but it is a very limited program. It start as a pilot may be 10 years ago and has not been expanded

So, no to ITI at EWR (UA or anyone else)
If you are being paid/charging out by the hour it will not save money. {I do not fly for work for free anywhere anytime:- the clock is always ticking tipping money in to my bank}
This is a trip I would refuse. Are simpler routes, with less risk. And routes/airlines that avoid transiting USA.
Repooc17 likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 21, 2023 at 5:48 pm
Old Jul 21, 2023, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
LHR-SIN-AKL would be my suggestion. LHR-SIN would be operated by SQ and NZ would operate the flight from SIN to AKL.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA
Hi,

I am due to fly to Auckland on Boxing day, and my client has a booking held for me fro a flight via IAH. Due to leave LHR at 1345, on UA004, due to arrive at 1815, connecting to NZ29 at 2005. I don't fly a lot on Star. I've been sent the booking by the TA and it shows a different PNR for the LHR to IAH leg. It's part of an itinerary LHR - AKL - HAN - LHR. LHR to IAH on UA, IAH to AKL on NZ and then the same PNR for AKL - TYO, and another PNR for HAN - LHR on ANA on 29th January.
Different PNRs does not necessarily mean separate reservations. UA, NZ, and ANA all use different GDS software so they will all have their own PNRs.
I'm uneasy about only having 1hr 50 to connect at IAH, though NZ sell this route themselves. I'm especially uneasy if it is on separate bookings. I have annual business travel insurance, but this would be a pig to deal with in Christmas period if I misconnected and couldn't get rebooked. The AKL - TYO leg on 14/1 would likely be affected also. I don't know if UA do what AA do and use a different booking system which gives a different PNR. For me, doing this on separate bookings appears to be asking for trouble. It's not an inexpensive routing - about 8k, but it is not a straightforward return.

Thanks in advance
Unfortunately, you will have to collect your bags and recheck. If you were doing a UA-UA international-international connection you would not need to recheck bags, but UA-NZ will need it. Fortunately IAH is a relatively efficient airport so I wouldn't worry too much. Do you have a plan B?
Old Jul 21, 2023, 7:53 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
I did a google search including flyertalk, and the advice was that the bags will be transferred automatically, hence my confusion. I also came across that link
I also have heard IAH has some exceptions where bags will be transferred between international flights but it may only apply to some UA-UA connections and is more like a myth. I wouldn't risk it.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Our corporate TA stitched a semi-complex itinerary AirNZ stock AKL-(NZ)YVR-(BA)LHR (open jaw) YOW-(AC)-YVR-AKL, and a separate AC stock LHR-YYZ-YOW.

The 2 airline PNRs sat within a single travel agency PNR. I suspect this is what the TA will offer you, and poster LyingFlat can probably explain all of this.

NZ has no plans for LHR, and has rebranded the flagship NZ1 from JFk-AKL.

Others can comment on the connection time and transfer matters.

Finally, itd probably be cheaper via Asia. Odd to be enamoured by AirNZ ti the extent of prescribing carriers (or are they also flying?).
They are flying part of the itinerary. It is 3 different PNRs (1x UA, 2 x NZ, 1x ANA) within the TA's own Booking reference. Not ticketed yet (at least I hope not!). It must be a routing that is routinely done since on searching fares on Air NZ's website, I see the routing there. I have suggested to them to choose and Eastward route or a route with a good deal more wriggle room - via SFO with Virgin doing the first sector. I had originally suggested travel on Christmas Day Evening via ANA which was quite a lot cheaper, but my wife would definitely prefer Boxing Day with a 4 year old at home. It's all in J so fares will be high heading downunder. One World is around 15k.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 9:22 pm

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
United has 2 LHR IAH flights daily. Can you switch onto the morning flight free of charge letting them know you are concerned about the connection ? Might involve a HUCA. Be polite.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 5:04 am

Programs: BA AVIOS , Qanats
During busy time it will be a nightmare you could be stuck in immigration queue for sometime ,you have to pick the bags and go through customs so not advisable
Old Jul 22, 2023, 5:11 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Does it meet the threshold of a legal connection? Yes.
Is it safe (protected) if both flights on one airline PNR? Yes.
Is it safe on separate airline PNRs? Heck no.
Is it realistic and practical that you will make it if LHR flight leaves on time? Yes.
Will the connection time occupy your mind and cause angst from now until you arrive in IAH? Probably.
Will you have a pleasant, chill Xmas and journey? No.

I wouldnt hesitate to create your own itin and respectfully send to the client with rationale.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

At this stage the client is asking whether the flights are ok. They are just holding the flights thus far. If it is so inadvisable, however, why is Air NZ offering this as an option?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.