CHC Intl. Lounge

Old Jul 8, 2023, 5:17 pm
JNZ
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite
CHC Intl. Lounge

Any word on whether there’s a refresh planned? It’s the most dated ANZ lounge by quite a margin, and the only one in NZ which doesn’t match with their current design/decor style.

It’s actually completely unchanged since I used to go there as a literal child — granted, I’m only 25 now, but we’re still talking about 15 years at least.

In fairness, it doesn’t feel particularly tired, nor does it suffer the capacity issues of AKL, so can’t complain. But there must be some planning in the works?
Old Jul 8, 2023, 6:36 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
I hope they don't touch it. The seat density os lower than the other lounges, i find the seats more comfortable, and there are "corners". The best lounge imho.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 4:37 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Both WLG/CHC International lounges, seem to be in NZ ‘don’t care’ bucket. They have the WLG a soft refurb a few years back, but not a full Reno.

compared to how much they have invested into some regional lounges recently…
Old Jul 9, 2023, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Both WLG/CHC International lounges, seem to be in NZ ‘don’t care’ bucket. They have the WLG a soft refurb a few years back, but not a full Reno.

compared to how much they have invested into some regional lounges recently…
Something something channel people to Auckland for Air Auckland's international sectors.

But then internationally out of Wellington and Christchurch they don't seem to have enough planes to actually run enough of a service to fill the lounges. As QF brings on the A220s they have the opportunity to really work on frequency against AirNZ. And AirNZ don't have many delivery slots for planes to be able to compete in the near term.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 9:16 pm

Programs: Airpoints Elite
I've always liked the Christchurch international lounge (in fact I don't mind the domestic one either). I don't recall it feeling particularly dated, and it's far less of a zoo than Auckland. The only thing I can't deal with is the express lounge for the regional flights, which should be put out of its misery.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by samjaynz
I've always liked the Christchurch international lounge (in fact I don't mind the domestic one either). I don't recall it feeling particularly dated, and it's far less of a zoo than Auckland. The only thing I can't deal with is the express lounge for the regional flights, which should be put out of its misery.
It is my favorite domestic lounge. Great views of runway and apron.
Thai-Kiwi, Outbound24 and Markhm like this.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 11:25 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I notice that the CHC regional Express Lounge is now (wo)manned. It must be pretty miserable sitting there behind a tiny desk in that crowded lounge. Its replacement keeps being caught up in the Great Regional Screening debate.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 11:31 pm

Programs: Airpoints Elite
Originally Posted by CHCflyer
I notice that the CHC regional Express Lounge is now (wo)manned. It must be pretty miserable sitting there behind a tiny desk in that crowded lounge. Its replacement keeps being caught up in the Great Regional Screening debate.
I didn't realize - as I hardly bother going in there any more (I either arrive early enough to go through security and attend the proper lounge, or I show up at the last minute and walk right on to the plane). That would be a grim job. I don't even find it's worth it for a coffee as that's usually not very good anyway.

It would be great to see a proper regional lounge for Christchurch.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 1:55 am

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I didn't realize - as I hardly bother going in there any more (I either arrive early enough to go through security and attend the proper lounge, or I show up at the last minute and walk right on to the plane). That would be a grim job. I don't even find it's worth it for a coffee as that's usually not very good anyway.

It would be great to see a proper regional lounge for Christchurch.
Why was this shoebox even provided? Was this a response to CHC-WLG going mainly ATR a few years ago or some other ‘business’ reason?
Old Jul 10, 2023, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Why was this shoebox even provided? Was this a response to CHC-WLG going mainly ATR a few years ago or some other ‘business’ reason?
Think this went in during the redevelopment which was before the WLG ATRs. Something quick to stop the need of the to go to the main lonuge behind security.

Think the US is trailing similar things though they are more like a Wishbone and target is pick something up to eat on plane. Particularly handy for short transits
Thai-Kiwi and codyc1515 like this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 2:04 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Koru express predated ATR's on the WLG-CHC route bv many years (and the irony now that ATRs are the exception on this route, not the norm like they were from 2016ish - 2020).

Pre Covid most ATR's to/from WLG actually mostly used the two ATR gates near the main lounge and didn't use the regional area.
codyc1515 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 6:13 am

Programs: AC*E50K
Originally Posted by nzkarit
Think this went in during the redevelopment which was before the WLG ATRs. Something quick to stop the need of the to go to the main lonuge behind security.

Think the US is trailing similar things though they are more like a Wishbone and target is pick something up to eat on plane. Particularly handy for short transits
That's actually like the Air Canada Café that is getting expanded, first appeared in Toronto Pearson a few years ago and now at Toronto City Centre. Has fresh orange juice and a bunch of food for take out. In some ways it is better than the Maple Leaf Lounges, depending on what food you might want and how portable you're hoping it to be.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 6:24 pm

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
A bit late to this discussion but I actually really like the CHC international lounge. I found the 'bach' era of NZ's lounge design preferable to the current look and feel - especially when the new look is implemented very cheaply, as it has been in CHC domestic which to me is a super disappointing use of a nice space/good views. It feels so cheap and just has zero ambience, gives me sub-IKEA showroom vibes. Or primary school classroom. That awful cheap carpet, bad lighting, just screams cost cutting to me (more so than any other NZ lounge, for some reason), whereas CHC international still has some ambience. I feel somewhat the same about AKL domestic, to me that went downhill decor-wise when they facelifted it.

The real ugly duckling though is WLG international... very dated and unloved, and not helped by being windowless these days
Markhm likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by mad_atta
as it has been in CHC domestic which to me is a super disappointing use of a nice space/good views.
The CHC domestic lounge predates (2013) the style used across the rest of the network (2015). It actually won some design awards for the architecture.

https://www.nzia.co.nz/practice/Jasm...orulounge/1908
https://bestawards.co.nz/spatial/hos...-christchurch/
https://davidmorelanddesign.com/proj...d-koru-lounge/
codyc1515 likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 8:14 am

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Originally Posted by henrus
The CHC domestic lounge predates (2013) the style used across the rest of the network (2015). It actually won some design awards for the architecture.
You're right, it's neither the current design language nor the previous (bach) one. Does that make it unique in the network?

Awards (and lovingly rendered publicity stills) notwithstanding, for my money it's a deeply disappointing lounge when experienced in person. You can somewhat see the IKEA canteen vibes coming through in these pics, and the cheap carpet. I would concede that there were some interesting stylistic choices made, but it was executed cheaply and there's nothing comfortable about it, nothing that would make you actually want to lounge.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.