Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Should a travel agent have my Airpoints account password?

Old May 28, 2023, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

My company has recently hired a local travel agency to pick up the admin of booking flights for our increasingly-busy team. As part of of their standard form, they ask for frequent flyer membership details, including account number, PIN number and password.

This to me is setting off red flags as sharing passwords in general is a bad idea, but I've been told this is standard and that they might need it to make bookings on my behalf to ensure that I get the rewards.I'm doubting this as I can't see any reason for them to need to log-in to my account to do this. I've never needed my friend's passwords to book on their behalf.

I'm not nearly as experienced a traveller as other members of this forum so I ask you, am I right to be suspicious about this? Even if not for security reasons, this seems like a lack of professionalism to me.
Old May 28, 2023, 9:44 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I would never give it to anybody.

Totally pointless giving it to them now anyway as 2FA is going live and so they won't be able to gain access anyway.
Old May 28, 2023, 10:06 pm

Sharing a password for be a breach of the T&C's.

People can make bookings on your behalf without being logged in. Just need to make they have your Airpoints Number and name on file matches the name in your Airpoints account including middle. Then it should all be added automatically.

Your TA should be managing the booking through their TA portal not the end user UI.
codyc1515 likes this.
Old May 28, 2023, 10:24 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by wikatik
Hi,

My company has recently hired a local travel agency to pick up the admin of booking flights for our increasingly-busy team. As part of of their standard form, they ask for frequent flyer membership details, including account number, PIN number and password.

This to me is setting off red flags as sharing passwords in general is a bad idea, but I've been told this is standard and that they might need it to make bookings on my behalf to ensure that I get the rewards.I'm doubting this as I can't see any reason for them to need to log-in to my account to do this. I've never needed my friend's passwords to book on their behalf.

I'm not nearly as experienced a traveller as other members of this forum so I ask you, am I right to be suspicious about this? Even if not for security reasons, this seems like a lack of professionalism to me.
It's definitely not normal to obtain your password. When I worked for a TMC we would only collect frequent traveller numbers and not the passwords linked to those numbers. Having done literally thousands of bookings I can hand on heart say I've never needed a client's password for anything.

Even now as an independent travel broker I don't need my clients' passwords to do my job.
Old May 28, 2023, 10:30 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
I don't know how that's going to work as NZ has activated 2 step password verification. Are they going to contact you to get the code from your phone? Don't do it.
Old May 28, 2023, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your feedback, it makes me feel better for being a grouch and holding things up at work by opposing it.

They claim it's so they can manage upgrades and/or booki flights using Airpoints but this seems massively unprofessional to me. If our company requires staff to fly a certain way we have to be willing and able to pay for it
Old May 28, 2023, 10:50 pm

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Sounds like you need a more reputable TA. Could be a single staff training issue, in which case senior management should be advised.
Old May 28, 2023, 10:55 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by wikatik
Thanks everyone for your feedback, it makes me feel better for being a grouch and holding things up at work by opposing it.

They claim it's so they can manage upgrades and/or booki flights using Airpoints but this seems massively unprofessional to me. If our company requires staff to fly a certain way we have to be willing and able to pay for it
When I worked for a TMC (and also now as a broker), I'm very clear with my clients - if they want to use upgrades or book with APD that is their own responsibility.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old May 29, 2023, 8:21 am

I had this once happen with a client of mine in the small-to-medium size category. Their admin person handled flights for execs by basically having access to their airline booking profiles (which in the majority of cases happen to be the same as the FF profiles). She offered to do the same for me. I politely declined and handled my own bookings. I absolutely did not suspect any ill intentions, just did not want to take the risk.
codyc1515 likes this.
Old May 29, 2023, 10:25 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, ANA Mileage Club
No...
Synapseturquoise and Markhm like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.