Swapping Boarding Passes

Old May 8, 2023, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Swapping Boarding Passes

An interesting observation from my trip home from Asia last week. I was travelling via SIN and connected to NZ283 with the NZ boarding pass issued by SQ. Normally when I've been checked-in by other airlines NZ swap out your boarding pass at the gate to an NZ-issued one. On this trip, NZ boarded me with the SQ-issued one.

Is this a recent change? My last trip back from Asia in January via SIN NZ swapped the SQ boarding pass.
Old May 8, 2023, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by LyingFlat
An interesting observation from my trip home from Asia last week. I was travelling via SIN and connected to NZ283 with the NZ boarding pass issued by SQ. Normally when I've been checked-in by other airlines NZ swap out your boarding pass at the gate to an NZ-issued one. On this trip, NZ boarded me with the SQ-issued one.

Is this a recent change? My last trip back from Asia in January via SIN NZ swapped the SQ boarding pass.
If all the passport and visa checks get passed on from check-in to AirNZ they seem ok. E.g. never had a QF one reissued for example.

Where check-in didn't enter all the passport and visa checks into the system or the interline integration doesn't pass this on AirNZ will need to reissue after checking passport and visa. Or some other situation where get pushed through right they will reissue.
LyingFlat likes this.
Old May 8, 2023, 7:00 pm

Programs: NZ*GE
I had the same last month SIN-AKL. Lufthansa had issued all the boarding passes LHR-FRA-SIN-AKL and no issues when scanning the LH issued boarding pass for the SIN-AKL sector
LyingFlat likes this.
Old May 8, 2023, 8:42 pm

to add to that, i had a KLM to NZ boarding pass going from AMS > LAX > AKL boarding pass that had no issue on the LAX to AKL NZ section.
Old May 8, 2023, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by raznz
to add to that, i had a KLM to NZ boarding pass going from AMS > LAX > AKL boarding pass that had no issue on the LAX to AKL NZ section.
Good to know. I've always had mine swapped (including as recently as January). This is the first time for me it hasn't been swapped.
Old May 9, 2023, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Quite normal. I had three UA stock boarding passes for ORD-EWR-ARN-DUB; the latter two flights operated by SK. There was no need for bp swapping.
Old May 9, 2023, 3:02 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Quite normal. I had three UA stock boarding passes for ORD-EWR-ARN-DUB; the latter two flights operated by SK. There was no need for bp swapping.
​​​​​​Totally different scenario. None of those flights were on Air NZ, and more importantly none were flights to NZ.

​​
Old May 9, 2023, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by sbiddle
​​​​​​Totally different scenario. None of those flights were on Air NZ, and more importantly none were flights to NZ.

​​
What's special about NZ? I am merely saying it's normal to have production of boarding passes from first operating carrier and use them the rest of the way without additional interventions.
Old May 9, 2023, 9:12 am

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
New Zealand immigration.
There are decent fines for airlines bringing passengers into New Zealand who do not hold correct visas or immigration status.
Historically Air NZ would double check this detail for connecting passengers and issue them with an Air NZ boarding pass before the final leg into New Zealand. It has been this way for many years.
Old May 9, 2023, 9:28 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by WLGNZ
New Zealand immigration.
There are decent fines for airlines bringing passengers into New Zealand who do not hold correct visas or immigration status.
Historically Air NZ would double check this detail for connecting passengers and issue them with an Air NZ boarding pass before the final leg into New Zealand. It has been this way for many years.
Physical checks of visa and immigration status nowadays are redundant since New Zealand started only issuing e-visa. Very few stations ask for the visa print-out anymore as their system will check with Immigration NZ electronically.

I suppose it all depends on where you board the first flight, how the agent of the starting point handles the check in and the efficiency of the connecting airport.
Old May 9, 2023, 12:44 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Repooc17
What's special about NZ? I am merely saying it's normal to have production of boarding passes from first operating carrier and use them the rest of the way without additional interventions.
In the case of flights to NZ this was never normally the case historically.. hence the reason for this thread.
Old May 9, 2023, 3:56 pm

Air NZ went on a bit of a Digital talent hiring spree during Covid when a lot of businesses were contracting and shedding staff (NZ included). Perhaps this is a new digital integration that they have performed which allows a more seamless check-in? Not sure how we would be able to confirm.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.