Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

50 percent status bonus on anz platinum visa

Old Apr 7, 2023, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite, Qantas Platinum

Hi all

Have been meaning to do this for a while but the recent change in credit card earning rates has prompted me to review my card(s) and assess if I should make some changes. ANZ has also (finally) discontinued the Anz Qantas Visa so now Amex is the only provider in the NZ market linking to Qantas.

I am intrigued by the ANZ Visa Platinum offer of 50 percent status bonus on flights. I can’t read anything that says this only applies to flights booked on the card, which I assumed would be the case. I fly a reasonable amount for work (ie I don’t pay) and some extra status credits just for happening to have this particular card is quite attractive.

anyone else got a view on this - and on the wider issue of the Airpoints/credit card shake up?
Old Apr 7, 2023, 10:52 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
We have been chatting about this a lot in another thread. Remarkably, you can get the ANZ card and then book your flight using a different card such as AMEX and you will still get the boost of 50% from ANZ.

Now, will this remain a permanent bonus, I am highly skeptical, but right now it does indeed work that way.
0100 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite, Qantas Platinum
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
We have been chatting about this a lot in another thread. Remarkably, you can get the ANZ card and then book your flight using a different card such as AMEX and you will still get the boost of 50% from ANZ.

Now, will this remain a permanent bonus, I am highly skeptical, but right now it does indeed work that way.
this seems insanely good. surely can’t last. But I may as well get into it while I/we can!
Old Apr 7, 2023, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by newtestleper
this seems insanely good. surely can’t last. But I may as well get into it while I/we can!
It certainly rewards flyers and eliminates SP earn from ccrd churn (from the ANZ card).

Whether ANZ has this balance ‘right’ will no doubt come to light after a few months.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 11:19 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Believe recently BNZ introduced a new points programme which allows cardholders to transfer points to many airlines including QF, leaving ASB as the only major bank without a FFP proposition,.

I haven't got time to study BNZ's transfer rates but I do miss my old GlobalPlus card.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 12:01 am

Programs: Air NZ (*GE), ALL Accor (Diamond)
Originally Posted by newtestleper
Hi all

Have been meaning to do this for a while but the recent change in credit card earning rates has prompted me to review my card(s) and assess if I should make some changes. ANZ has also (finally) discontinued the Anz Qantas Visa so now Amex is the only provider in the NZ market linking to Qantas.

I am intrigued by the ANZ Visa Platinum offer of 50 percent status bonus on flights. I can’t read anything that says this only applies to flights booked on the card, which I assumed would be the case. I fly a reasonable amount for work (ie I don’t pay) and some extra status credits just for happening to have this particular card is quite attractive.

anyone else got a view on this - and on the wider issue of the Airpoints/credit card shake up?
I can confirm I pay with my AMEX Cent., and get 50% bonus points on all flights. Essentially just “owning” the card gets me the points.

I never spent anything on it anyway and got my status by flying, but this is insane.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 9:34 pm

Just travelled on a standalone UA domestic flight ticketed by UA that has nothing to do with NZ and I have earned the 50% bonus status as well. While I ain't gonna complain, something clearly is wrong.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Just travelled on a standalone UA domestic flight ticketed by UA that has nothing to do with NZ and I have earned the 50% bonus status as well. While I ain't gonna complain, something clearly is wrong.
Why is something wrong?

AirNZ and ANZ sat down and decided how they wanted it to work. None of the things people mention are weird edge cases, they all seem like common flows. So don't think any thing is an oversight and is not the customers finding weird combinations of hoops to jump through to trigger it.

I would say it is working as intended.

Does it seem sensible from the outside? No.

But I am sure ANZ sees something for them in the way it works. It may be as simple ANZ actually only paying for the SP when they are used to retain or move up a tier. SP only really get realised when retain or move up a tier. If the person doesn't tier up can give them out without much thought as are really worthless.

I would guess that currently that the other banks are paying for SP regardless of used or not. ANZ crunching the numbers may see this as cheaper. Particularly if flying SP and the other CC SP get "used" first.

I'm just guessing don't know anything. But feel seeing the customer facing part of very different, I would guess the AirNZ ANZ part is also very different, and this seems like something which would make the numbers and costs work.

Wonder how many new people are paying $150 a year to ANZ? And offset by only paying for used SP, I could see it coming out on top.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit
Why is something wrong?
Actually I have just deleted my analysis I typed up minutes ago. If they are happy to keep doing this, I am happy, too. Just saved me a lot of effect to keep NZ*G and I can now credit the rest of my flights elsewhere.

With all due respect, I don't think Airpoints as a programme makes much sense even prior to this change so nothing would surprise me to be honest.

Last edited by Xiaotung; Apr 9, 2023 at 10:24 pm
Old Apr 12, 2023, 4:34 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Emirates Skywards Gold, Priority Guest Rewards Platinum
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Actually I have just deleted my analysis I typed up minutes ago. If they are happy to keep doing this, I am happy, too. Just saved me a lot of effect to keep NZ*G and I can now credit the rest of my flights elsewhere.

With all due respect, I don't think Airpoints as a programme makes much sense even prior to this change so nothing would surprise me to be honest.
What do you think is the best value, easy to move up the ranks airline programme currently?
Old Apr 12, 2023, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sonyxperiageek
What do you think is the best value, easy to move up the ranks airline programme currently?
That is a question best asked in another forum, given this forum is specifically for Airpoints…
Old Apr 12, 2023, 8:52 pm

On a seperate note, I have the Westpac Airpoints CC and I have started from Feb receiving these bonus status points. It specifically says "ANZ Bonus Status Points" but I've never banked or held a CC from ANZ. Whether or not it's a glitch but I'm not complaining... Is anyone else experiencing this...?
Old Apr 12, 2023, 9:32 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyer94
On a seperate note, I have the Westpac Airpoints CC and I have started from Feb receiving these bonus status points. It specifically says "ANZ Bonus Status Points" but I've never banked or held a CC from ANZ. Whether or not it's a glitch but I'm not complaining... Is anyone else experiencing this...?
I have the Westpac credit card but no bonuses
Old Apr 12, 2023, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer94
Clearly things are quite screwed up if ANZ bonus SP are being credited as from ANZ to someone who has never held an ANZ card …

I guess possibly the system is wrongly reporting ‘normal’ SP earn from card spend as coming from ANZ?

flyer94 do you think the SP that is tagged as ANZ earn is 50% of recent flight SP earn? Or more indicative of ‘normal’ ccrd SP earn? (1SP/$250 spend)

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Apr 12, 2023 at 10:08 pm
Old Apr 12, 2023, 10:10 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by Beano
I have the Westpac credit card but no bonuses
Same for me. But also just got the ANZ card, which should be enough points to push me over the line for another banked year . Without it I would have been just short of the 2400.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.