Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Low Status Point earn rate in Business to Singapore or Hong Kong?

Old Mar 27, 2023, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ *E

Why does Air New Zealand have such abysmal status points earn rates when flying BP to Hong Kong or Singapore?

Example Business class booking on Tuesday 11th April returning Sunday 16th April:

Dunedin to Hong Kong return cost $9702 and earns 486 status points
Dunedin to Bali return cost $9852 and earns 786 status points

Both flights are business global saver and both are with Air New Zealand and not partner airlines. The flight to Bali is much shorter. It's strange how Air NZ make it hard for people to retain status if they are flying to Singapore/Hong Kong vs the other routes (LA, Bali) which earn at a much higher rate but for a similar price.

Does someone have a good explanation for why they do this? I'm trying to retain my Elite status but it might not feasible when you can't earn enough points on a route you actually need to fly.

Last edited by 0100; Mar 27, 2023 at 3:19 pm Reason: removed icon
Old Mar 27, 2023, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by 0100
Why does Air New Zealand have such abysmal status points earn rates when flying BP to Hong Kong or Singapore?

Example Business class booking on Tuesday 11th April returning Sunday 16th April:

Dunedin to Hong Kong return cost $9702 and earns 486 status points
Dunedin to Bali return cost $9852 and earns 786 status points

Both flights are business global saver and both are with Air New Zealand and not partner airlines. The flight to Bali is much shorter. It's strange how Air NZ make it hard for people to retain status if they are flying to Singapore/Hong Kong vs the other routes (LA, Bali) which earn at a much higher rate but for a similar price.

Does someone have a good explanation for why they do this? I'm trying to retain my Elite status but it might not feasible when you can't earn enough points on a route you actually need to fly.
There a difference in fare class. I see:

DUD-HKG-DUD as Z (saver) outbound, and D (refundable) return
DUD-DPS-DUD as C (highest) outbound, and C (highest) return
Old Mar 27, 2023, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ *E
Ah yes, you are correct. The fare is business saver to Hong Kong. My bad, I thought I checked that.

It would make more sense if Air NZ just had a consistent SP earn rate for the dollar spent. Since the fare costs practically the same they should earn a similar amount of status points.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 5:41 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
It's because earn rates haven't been reviewed for what at least 10 years? Airfares do change frequently and we also had a pandemic. The earn/burn structure of the programme means that the programme is being devalued constantly as inflation occurs as you are earning less and less compared to the amount you pay and also need more points to redeem the same increasing fare. Other distance based and true revenue based programmes don't have this problem. I have long said that those who praise the "simplicity" of the programme are being fooled.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.