Status bag tags no longer a thing?

Old Mar 25, 2023, 10:30 pm

Programs: NZ*G, MAR Titanium, HLT Diamond
I had a somewhat related experience recently travelling on an NZ long haul flight. As the Premium Check-in area was closed due to the flooding, I went to the side the general check-in counters which now serve as Premium Check-in. When the agent finished tagging my bag, I pointed out that she forgot to put the red *A priority tag on it. She then refused to do it and said the "Priority" signage is already on the tag. Is the red tag already redundant even for long haul flights?
Old Mar 25, 2023, 10:40 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
I had a somewhat related experience recently travelling on an NZ long haul flight. As the Premium Check-in area was closed due to the flooding, I went to the side the general check-in counters which now serve as Premium Check-in. When the agent finished tagging my bag, I pointed out that she forgot to put the red *A priority tag on it. She then refused to do it and said the "Priority" signage is already on the tag. Is the red tag already redundant even for long haul flights?
Ive always assumed that its all sorted via barcode when they scan it in baggage handling. So if youve got a priority bag tag then itll scan and get put aside for loading on last in the priority luggage tank/crate/container?
Old Mar 25, 2023, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
Ive always assumed that its all sorted via barcode when they scan it in baggage handling. So if youve got a priority bag tag then itll scan and get put aside for loading on last in the priority luggage tank/crate/container?
Yeah that my understanding. The computer via the cart thingys deliver the bags in order to be placed in the cans, so it is the barcode that ensures that it gets in the correct can. Watching behind the scenes videos the baggage handlers will scan the bag as it goes into the can (so they know which bag is in which can) and will flash red if it shouldn't go in that can.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Gold
Originally Posted by nzkarit
Have to make sure you press the fast bag option on the Kiosk as it will print fast bag on the bag tag. Has been working that way since they brought Fast Bag back.
Wow ok, really has been a while since I used it by the sounds of it ha ha.

As far as priority bag on intl goes, I never seem to get it very early but I am an early check in person so maybe I'm first in last out of that particular section of baggage.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 1:16 am

I didnt have the *A tag when but the tags had priority on them, still one of the first to come out in AKL and WLG from SQ.

i noticed the tags where also changed from AMS (KLM) and SIN (SQ)
Old Mar 27, 2023, 9:45 pm

Programs: Air NZ (*GE), ALL Accor (Diamond)
Yes they come with tags, you can email the elite helpline and they will courier them to you ex-Melbourne
Old Apr 3, 2023, 2:49 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Honestly they're just a bit of plastic junk designed to make you feel special. ie they have zero influence on the treatment/priority you receive. They don't appear to be recyclable so I'm all for airlines ditching the plastic feel good junk. From a business perspective it's a waste of money to print a plastic card. And as a passenger I care more about results than plastic feel good cards? And those results come from your bag tags.

I dislike my boarding pass being printed and when check-in desks print it before I remember to tell them not to print it. I'm not a fan of waste and the info I need is in my app along with my bag tag info.

p.s. this is NOT a green party post.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 2:52 am

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Honestly they're just a bit of plastic junk designed to make you feel special. ie they have zero influence on the treatment/priority you receive. They don't appear to be recyclable so I'm all for airlines ditching the plastic feel good junk. From a business perspective it's a waste of money to print a plastic card. And as a passenger I care more about results than plastic feel good cards? And those results come from your bag tags.

I dislike my boarding pass being printed and when check-in desks print it before I remember to tell them not to print it. I'm not a fan of waste and the info I need is in my app along with my bag tag info.

p.s. this is NOT a green party post.
what is worse is boarding passes being printed at gate when upgraded.then ripped in 1/2, then new passes printed!
NZbutterfly likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.