Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Auckland - London in PE. Recommended best routes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Auckland - London in PE. Recommended best routes?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2023, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Have you checked the VA website?
https://flywith.virginatlantic.com/b...w-zealand.html

Yep - however, this website doesn't give me the answer that I need... maybe I ring ANZ...
Old Mar 15, 2023, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Further to the above, the website text on the Gold status notes AirNZ operated (my emphasis)as being the criterion for lounge access and priority checkin.

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/gold-benefits
Old Mar 19, 2023, 9:25 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Unless you get a bulkhead seat, LH's PE is an inferior hard product with no leg rests. Very stingy IMHO. SQ's seat is better and NZ's better than SQ or LH's. Haven't been on VS for around 3 decades so can't comment.
Beano likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

So I've decided to book AKL-LON via SFO on Virgin ticket but AKL-SFO and SFO-AKL segments are NZ operated. SFO-LON and LON-SFO are Virgin operated.
Booked on Virgin as price of PE was ridiculously cheaper than booking through Air New Zealand.

Next question is re accessing the Virgin Clubhouse at LHR:
So I'm Air New Zealand Gold and on the Virgin Atlantic website for their Clubhouse on access, it says access is granted to:
  • Air New Zealand Gold or Elite members traveling on Virgin Atlantic to San Francisco
I would assume I could access the Clubhouse on the above premise as my destination is SFO.

However, on the Air New Zealand website, it says:
  • Departing London Heathrow or San Francisco: Airpoints Gold and Elite members, plus one guest, may access Virgin Atlantic lounges only when departing on a booking with an NZ flight number when operated by Virgin Atlantic.
Although my flight is on Virgin metal traveling to SFO, as I booked on Virgin's site, it is on a VS flight number, not a NZ flight number.

Can anyone who has traveled this route being an Air NZ member Gold/Elite member clarify please? Does my ticket have to have a NZ flight number to SFO for me to access this lounge? According to the vauge access requirement from Virgin's site, it looks like I can access no matter if flight number is VS or NZ, as long as destination is SFO?
Old Mar 27, 2023, 9:23 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Can't answer specifically but it's a general rule that outside *A and OW lounge access rules that you should never expect access if you're not flying on the ticket stock of the carrier you have status with.

I would not expect to get lounge access on this trip booked on VS ticket stock. If you do that's a bonus.
​​
Old Mar 28, 2023, 9:16 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
I was able to get Virgin Atlantic lounge access in SFO (AKL > SFO > LHR) traveling on VS ticket stock using my NZ Elite status.

Fully expected to be rejected due to not being on 086 ticket stock, but I don't think the attendant paid much attention beyond seing the Air NZ boarding passes. Took a photo of them and the digital status card then waived me through.

I doubt this is the norm, but may as well give it a go.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 7:51 pm

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by flyer94
Next question is re accessing the Virgin Clubhouse at LHR:
So I'm Air New Zealand Gold and on the Virgin Atlantic website for their Clubhouse on access, it says access is granted to:
  • Air New Zealand Gold or Elite members traveling on Virgin Atlantic to San Francisco
I would assume I could access the Clubhouse on the above premise as my destination is SFO.

However, on the Air New Zealand website, it says:
  • Departing London Heathrow or San Francisco: Airpoints Gold and Elite members, plus one guest, may access Virgin Atlantic lounges only when departing on a booking with an NZ flight number when operated by Virgin Atlantic.
Although my flight is on Virgin metal traveling to SFO, as I booked on Virgin's site, it is on a VS flight number, not a NZ flight number.

Can anyone who has traveled this route being an Air NZ member Gold/Elite member clarify please? Does my ticket have to have a NZ flight number to SFO for me to access this lounge? According to the vauge access requirement from Virgin's site, it looks like I can access no matter if flight number is VS or NZ, as long as destination is SFO?
I've done this, but againa only with a NZ flight number on LHR-SFO (was in PE on VS, and it wasn't a problem) as I continued on NZ to AKL from SFO (my last NZ 747 flight in fact, and it was a VS 747 too). If I were you, I'd contact Virgin Atlantic directly and get something in writing (even if a chat conversation or social media) confirming it so you can show to the lounge staff when you get there. Like others have said, it is worth a try.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by libertyuk
If I were you, I'd contact Virgin Atlantic directly and get something in writing (even if a chat conversation or social media) confirming it so you can show to the lounge staff when you get there.
Not sure that's necessary. There is already written confirmation on the Virgin Atlantic website which makes it pretty clear that lounge access is allowed. I'd just keep a link to that and be prepared to show it to lounge staff if needed.

I'm guessing the wording on the Air NZ website is just to make it clear that you can only use the Virgin Clubhouse when travelling on Virgin flights, not some other NZ flight.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Reason077
Not sure that's necessary. There is already written confirmation on the Virgin Atlantic website which makes it pretty clear that lounge access is allowed. I'd just keep a link to that and be prepared to show it to lounge staff if needed.

I'm guessing the wording on the Air NZ website is just to make it clear that you can only use the Virgin Clubhouse when travelling on Virgin flights, not some other NZ flight.
Yeah - as you said, the Virgin website does make it pretty clear that I can access it as a ANZ Gold member traveling to SFO on Virgin Atlantic (which I'm doing).... worst case, I can always access the AMEX lounge with my Platinum Charge card. I've heard this lounge is pretty nice too but because it's in a different terminal, it's just a hassle....

Last edited by flyer94; Mar 29, 2023 at 1:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.