Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

When are 'system blocked' seats released?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2023, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold

Hi all, I have my first long haul sector in PE in early May. Config is 789 v1. Always managed to stay in Y or get a double RU to J....

Currently I can see 23AB and 23 DEF are all available for $75 and that 23 JK are occupied/blocked (can't tell from my seat select).
However, a dummy booking fo the same flight seems to indicate that 23 JK are just withheld/blocked and not occupied, presumably for 'load control' to allocate at some point.

Question - when do the blocked seats become selectable?

Combined screen shot of dummy booking and then actual booking.

Old Mar 8, 2023, 2:28 am

For long haul pretty sure they stay blocked for Airport control. Think can ask at checkin
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 2:55 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Sometimes they are released at OLCI but as pointed out above, they are normally reserved for airport control. There are only a few instances where they will be pre-allocated such as for MEDA clearance and EP1.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 12:23 am

23JK are bassinet seats. If you do a dummy booking with an infant you will see those opening up for selection. Unlike row 3 on domestic flights which are actual system blocks, bassinet rows do not "unblock" as they were never technically blocked. You might get them at CI if no other pax with infants had requested them already.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.

Last edited by akl_cat; Mar 9, 2023 at 12:36 am
Old Mar 9, 2023, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Thanks all. Interesting that the bassinet icon doesn’t show during dummy booking (sans infant), or seat select post-booking.

The seat map on the NZ website however does.
You learn things everyday…

Old Mar 9, 2023, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Thanks all. Interesting that the bassinet icon doesn’t show during dummy booking (sans infant), or seat select post-booking.

The seat map on the NZ website however does.
You learn things everyday…

Just to show that you can preselect these seats (with infant).
Thai-Kiwi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.