Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2023, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Elite Upgrades

I have just booked PE for a Perth - Auckland flight in November when the Dreamliner is flying that route again. I have requested a recognition upgrade.and Air NZ cant confirm this at the time of booking. I understand that these are all based on availability but I have checked with the call center and the cabin is currently completely empty. Do Elite members actually get these confirmed sometimes at the time of booking or is it some Air New Zealand just say they do.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 5:18 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
If there is A (PE) or R (BP) class available at the time the upgrade is lodged the upgrade will clear immediately otherwise it'll only clear closer to the flight.Typically there are only 2x R class seats available.

What cabin are you trying to upgrade to? I am assuming you booked booked PE and upgrading to BP? If so is there a reason why you didn't just book economy (unless of course there are good points to be earned) and lodge the upgrade?
Old Feb 21, 2023, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I booked PE and trying to get into business. I booked this as if the upgrades didnt go through then a worse case would be flying PE. You say there are generally two R seats available so given the cabin is completely empty then I can assume there are still at least 2 available? How od I know if there are R available?
Old Feb 21, 2023, 6:01 pm

Just because the seat map isn't empty doesn't mean there are no seats already sold - many people don't select seats so this can only be used as a guide.

I suspect that either the 2x RU have already been allocated or the possibility of Air NZ holding off allocating any A/R class to this route at present due to Wamos flying the route until the end of Oct and potentially allowing for any unplanned scenario where that could be extended. With only 21 rather than the 29 widebody planes they had prior to Covid things are going to be pretty challenging going forward.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 6:02 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by stevewill
I have just booked PE for a Perth - Auckland flight in November when the Dreamliner is flying that route again. I have requested a recognition upgrade.and Air NZ cant confirm this at the time of booking. I understand that these are all based on availability but I have checked with the call center and the cabin is currently completely empty. Do Elite members actually get these confirmed sometimes at the time of booking or is it some Air New Zealand just say they do.
In January I booked for next December/January. The December request was processed immediately from PE to Business. I'm still waiting on the January request even though the cabin appeared completely empty and it was the first day seats could be purchased for it.

I find it all rather hit and miss.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by SeaProf
In January I booked for next December/January. The December request was processed immediately from PE to Business. I'm still waiting on the January request even though the cabin appeared completely empty and it was the first day seats could be purchased for it.

I find it all rather hit and miss.
And R class from what I understand isn't added on the first day normally.

And the robot doesn't always look at existing requests when R class is added.

And not all flights have A or R class added.
SeaProf likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks - I know its empty because I spoke to an Air NZ person rather than a dummy booking. Thanks for the comments, useful.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by nzkarit

And the robot doesn't always look at existing requests when R class is added.
That's truly terrible!
Old Mar 1, 2023, 11:51 pm

Programs: Air Points; NZ*E; Accor Platinum; QF Gold
Bad experience, A class showing on Expert Flyer that I pay for, and on airnz website. Called waited 2 hours, for the contact centre to say no it's not showing on our side..... Not to sure what to do, maybe e-mail [email protected],
Old Mar 2, 2023, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by TravelMonkeyNZ
Bad experience, A class showing on Expert Flyer that I pay for, and on airnz website. Called waited 2 hours, for the contact centre to say no it's not showing on our side..... Not to sure what to do, maybe e-mail [email protected],
Expert Flyer doesn't show A / R class availability for upgrade eligibility.

Expert Flyer does show A class availability when it is available as a paid fare class but you need to understand the fare rules and eligibility for this I'm guessing in this case it wasn't a valid fare for the route you wanted. I can just about guarantee guarantee if you did a dummy booking on the Air NZ website for the route it wouldn't have shown A class available.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 12:32 am

Programs: Air Points; NZ*E; Accor Platinum; QF Gold
Yes it currently does...LAX - AKL, Shows as A Class available.. dates LAX - AKL - 30-09-2023.. Managed to get another agent to comment there is an error in the Robot we normally clear these, still shows now..
Old Mar 2, 2023, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by TravelMonkeyNZ
I struck this situation a few months ago when looking dates YVR-AKL in May where I has a couple days flexibility for this return flight.

The second CSR I spoke to querying why the robot had not upgraded that sector (GE using 1 RU) provided a clear explanation that there is revenue A and award A.

The initial bummer was the first CSR was confident it’d clear immediately as we were all seeing A class (EF, AirNZ web, and CSR system) - but the wrong kind. But once ticketed by corporate TA it didn't clear. Upgrade cleared about 2 weeks later.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 1:27 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Diamond
Does anyone know when R class is added?

If one books at t-355days at lodges RU/EAPD, is one guaranteed to be first in line for R class?
Old Apr 25, 2023, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Hector99
Does anyone know when R class is added?

If one books at t-355days at lodges RU/EAPD, is one guaranteed to be first in line for R class?
As I understand it, R class might not be immediately available at t-365. It seems always best to call AirNz and confirm. I am not a fan of the occasional agent who days the robot will sweep it up.

Whilst one is guaranteed nothing with AirNZ, if there is R class available and no one of the same/higher status is ahead of you, then the upgrade should clear.
Old May 25, 2023, 11:01 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Gold
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I can just about guarantee guarantee if you did a dummy booking on the Air NZ website for the route it wouldn't have shown A class available.
Related question - when doing a dummy booking, how do you specify the actual class you're looking to check for? I can see that if I search for a flight, at the top of the booking page it'll say (for example) "Business(D)" but I don't get a choice of which class it's choosing to put me in. Am I missing something?

Last edited by smashingly; May 25, 2023 at 11:04 pm Reason: improving wording

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.