Wiki Posts
Search

Likelihood of sale fares MEL-CHC

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2023, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Airlines: NZ, VS, BA; Hotels: Hilton, IHG
Likelihood of sale fares MEL-CHC

I’m looking at booking 4 seats from Melbourne to Christchurch for December. Would you lovely wizened people recommend waiting for a sale fare before doing so (are sale fares ever offered on this route)? No rush to book, but would be good to get it locked in unless I’m able to save a few hundred $ by being patient.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 10:15 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Your guess is as good as anybody else's. I simply don't see TT capacity ramping up anytime soon as Air NZ simply don't have enough planes.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Phantomchickenz81
I’m looking at booking 4 seats from Melbourne to Christchurch for December. Would you lovely wizened people recommend waiting for a sale fare before doing so (are sale fares ever offered on this route)? No rush to book, but would be good to get it locked in unless I’m able to save a few hundred $ by being patient.
Will be a difference early December to later December (from say Saturday 16 Dec).
MEL<---->CHC is my most common trans Tasman route. To me prices higher and capacity less than to/from AKL. Air NZ, QF & JQ fly MEL<--->CHC non stop. The price is 50%-100%-150% more than pre CV19.
In about 2 weeks I am flying MEL-AKL-CHC. Significantly cheaper than the non stops. In years gone often used to fly MEL-WLG and WLG-CHC on separate tickets for good savings.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Didn’t consider Jetstar, but they can get in the sea with their overpriced red-eye nonsense. WGN is a good shout as we’re stopping by there at some point anyway, but MEL-CHC still looks to be the cheapest for the ~16-18 December period I’m looking at.

Have you seen any sales on that route in the last six months or so? If capacity is a problem they might not bother, in which case I could just dive in now.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As 16-18 Dec is about a week from Christmas (Mon 25 Dec) that weekend will be busy. But Victorian schools end end term on 20 Dec.

I don't pay any attention to sales. With Air NZ are not uncommon. Unlikely to have a sale for peak dates
QF are having a "sale" now. $386 one way MEL CHC. But that seems to be close to the base QF price $368 for any date .
https://www.qantas.com/au/en/flight-...omy/all/lowest
https://www.qantas.com/au/en/flight-...el/chc/economy

MEL-ZQN is another option. But some leave at the unsocial time of 06:00 and would need to drive up to Christchurch. Have never flown that JQ night red-eye flight (~00:00 05:10). But have flown other JQ MEL-CHC flights that leave at a respectable time. About 5 years ago China Airlines had a flight CI57 13:10-18:30. Virgin Australia used to have some MEL-CHC flights, but not since CV19.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 19, 2023 at 4:20 pm
Old Feb 19, 2023, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Just been looking at the ZQN option. Would save a decent chunk, but less so once factoring in the onward flight to CHC. Given I’ll have two young kids in tow it’s not going to be worth it.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will you be renting a car in NZ? About 4:00hr 6:00hr drive Queenstown to Christchurch.

A web site I use as a price check, but never to book--> https://www.webjet.com.au/

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 19, 2023 at 10:23 pm Reason: amended 4:00 to 6:00
Old Feb 19, 2023, 10:02 pm

Programs: NZ EP
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Will you be renting a car in NZ? About 4:00hr drive Queenstown to Christchurch.

A web site I use as a price check, but never to book--> https://www.webjet.com.au/
Not sure what and how you’ve been driving, but I wouldn’t be suggesting that’s a 4 hour drive.

I’d suggest at least 6 hours (on a good day, no roadworks)..…possibly under if you do it late pm or early am and don’t swerve for the rabbits (and wallabies).

ymmv wrt speeding tickets!
Old Feb 20, 2023, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Back in my youth I used to drive Alexandra to Christchurch return once a week for a 9 month construction project, so know the route well. It might save me ~$100-$200, but in this situation I’d rather have the half day and not the grumpy kids.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.