Rant: short haul food vs competitors

Old Yesterday, 2:12 am
Original Poster

Rant: short haul food vs competitors

Ok so there are perhaps no true competitors to some destinations. But seriously haven recently flown economy QF and Qatar to Australia - their economy food is miles ahead of Air NZ. A different universe even. Even go so far to say their economy food better than NZ BP. (As a main course comparison)

I know so many of us and myself continue to fly NZ irrationally. I just don't understand why it has to be so bad. I do, but I just don't want it to be that way... If that makes sense!

I recently took a $2 Cup A Soup on a TT flight and enjoyed it more than the greasy slop served as a meal
poopbunny likes this.
Old Yesterday, 2:53 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Have to agree. The breakfast in particular is total slop. Maybe $2 which is criminal given the cost of moving to 'The Works'. Always feels pretty cynical on the part of NZ.
However, the last business class meal I had on QF across the Tasman (breakfast) felt very much like the NZ breakfast from 'The Works' on crockery. QF has really pulled down its quality up front for Tasman flying.
poopbunny likes this.
Old Yesterday, 4:31 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Apart from a RU used to WD to save wasting it I haven't had a meal to Aussie in probably 10 years in economy ex WLG which is normally 6+ trips per year.

I couldn't care less about the food and I'll suggest (no doubt controversially) that most people simply don't care either. Only around 35-40% of people get a meal and very few go to HVC seats.
Old Yesterday, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
Apart from a RU used to WD to save wasting it I haven't had a meal to Aussie in probably 10 years in economy ex WLG which is normally 6+ trips per year.

I couldn't care less about the food and I'll suggest (no doubt controversially) that most people simply don't care either. Only around 35-40% of people get a meal and very few go to HVC seats.
And how many of the HVC are corporate TA just selecting works to avoid potential complaints about no food?
Old Yesterday, 6:08 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by nzkarit View Post
And how many of the HVC are corporate TA just selecting works to avoid potential complaints about no food?
It depends when they make a booking and what booking classes are available.

For GDS booked flights, classes P, K, X, & G are all Seat+Bag. Classes S, L, T, W, V, Q, H, M, B, & Y all book into the Works (Works Deluxe can be booked as a fare override). Seat Only fares on TT flights are not able to booked through the GDS. For flights booked on the Air NZ website however, classes S through Y can be booked as any product (Seat, Seat+Bag, Works, Works Deluxe [subject to DLX availability]).

Also, many large corporates have a requirement that 'full service' is booked regardless of whether the traveller needs/wants it.
Old Yesterday, 6:42 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I think you've misread my comment. I was saying often very few in HVC seats get meals, so unless people are refusing meals when offered then the simple answer to your question is probably very few.

I always tend to look at the meal sheet taped to the trolley simply out of curiosity if it's stopped next to me during service, my last flight back from Melbourne had something like 53 meals on a chokka flight so that's actually under 1/3 of pax opting for a meal.
Old Yesterday, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
I think you've misread my comment. I was saying often very few in HVC seats get meals, so unless people are refusing meals when offered then the simple answer to your question is probably very few.

I always tend to look at the meal sheet taped to the trolley simply out of curiosity if it's stopped next to me during service, my last flight back from Melbourne had something like 53 meals on a chokka flight so that's actually under 1/3 of pax opting for a meal.
Was trying to say the HVC would likely be even lower if wasn't for TA and corporate policy. As doubt any HVC would get food on a personally paid flight.
sbiddle likes this.
Old Yesterday, 6:56 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Was trying to say the HVC would likely be even lower if wasn't for TA and corporate policy. As doubt any HVC would get food on a personally paid flight.
I personally usually book Seat Only TT and then use APD/RUs to upgrade to BP. If my UGs are unlikely to clear (say, on the 787 v1 with 18x BP), then I just pay for BP. People I know do the same except instead of paying for BP if it's unlikely they'll get their UGs, they just pay to upgrade to Seat+Bag when they OLCI if luggage is needed.
Old Yesterday, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by LyingFlat View Post
I personally usually book Seat Only TT and then use APD/RUs to upgrade to BP. If my UGs are unlikely to clear (say, on the 787 v1 with 18x BP), then I just pay for BP. People I know do the same except instead of paying for BP if it's unlikely they'll get their UGs, they just pay to upgrade to Seat+Bag when they OLCI if luggage is needed.
BP is something different aren't upgrading for the food. Upgrading for the full product.

And only AKL has that option.
Old Yesterday, 7:27 pm

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
BP is something different aren't upgrading for the food. Upgrading for the full product.
And only AKL has that option.
Well, I have a number of ex-WLG flights routing via AKL specifically either booked in BP or to use SHRU/AP$.
But otherwise I just go direct ex-WLG in Y and eat in the lounge prior. Or go QF ...
Old Yesterday, 11:37 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
The QF food on the Tasman is worse, post covid it now comes in the same cardboard box as domestic flights now.
Old Today, 1:41 am

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post
The QF food on the Tasman is worse, post covid it now comes in the same cardboard box as domestic flights now.
Seems a downwards spiral!
Old Today, 10:41 am

I have access to QF First Lounge, so I am pretty well fed and watered with real Champagne by the time I board to worry about food.

NZ lounge on the other hand, there's a bit of rabbit food here and there, sometimes a tablespoon or two from the casserole dish, rarely anything I would really assemble as a full meal.

When I land, I have a long drive to my hotel outside the city. A decent meal on the plane, is getting scarce (even on BP), goes a long way.

I really don't get cost cutting on BP.
​​Where revenue extraction from customers is high, the damage on the brand by being cheap, potentially outweighs any savings.

Old Today, 12:01 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
If AUS was a regular/main destination for you, then absolutely I would recommend people consider Qantas to chase status for the First Class lounge alone.

​​​​
Old Today, 8:49 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I actually want the meal on the first flight of the day. I am often up at 3 to catch the 06.00. The lounge offering is too early for me so the onboard meal is important to me as I'm straight off to the city on arrival. Departing is a different matter as the lounge can and does satisfy. Depending on the airline I get the NZ lounge of the QF First lounge and both are solid in SYD/MEL/BNE.
I just hate the way NZ use the Works purely as a revenue stream rather than a service -
I flew Air Baltic whilst in Europe end of last year and you could order a hot meal prior to departure. The quality was excellent and they offered bundles (meal+wine etc). It came in a Qantas-style box but was far superior than the prison food QF serves in Y. In fact it feels like the former Y tray food we used to have is now the standard for J on QF.across the Tasman. The cynically decided that NZ should get domestic Aus food service to save cash and have been laughing since.

Search this Thread