FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Silver to Gold - When do you loose the RU (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/2108555-silver-gold-when-do-you-loose-ru.html)

Mikeynz Jan 18, 2023 6:12 pm

Silver to Gold - When do you loose the RU

Hi Team,

I will be changing to Gold Next Month after my flights to Europe, but I'm not sure I will get to apply my Silver RU before I start the trip. Does anyone remember when you loose the Silver RU ? As I do remember it takes a few weeks for the GOLD RU to come into your account from memory.

Thanks

LyingFlat Jan 18, 2023 7:25 pm

It depends when you qualify for Gold and when your Gold tier is effective from. Normally, if you qualify in the first half the month, your new tier takes effect from the following month. If you qualify in the second half of the month, your new tier will take effect from the month after the following month.

For example:

Qualify for Gold on 10th June, Gold will be effective from 1st July.
Qualify for Gold on 20th June, Gold will be effective from 1st August.

Your Silver RU will be 'lost' as soon as you move to Gold.

ukflyer1 Jan 25, 2023 2:16 am

I’m not sure the above is correct.

When you hit Gold the app states change within 7 days.

Recent data point; flight for Gold 18 Jan, status changed (and silver RU gone) 23 Jan.

I would aim to use your RU before the flight that puts you over the Gold threshold; noting that amounts are reviewed daily.

kapchi_nz Jan 26, 2023 8:24 pm

I have a similar question, about getting Silver (Feb 15th or March 15th, depending on my CC spending).
Flying to Europe on March 17th and back on April 8th via YVR. I want to use my silver RU for this trip (ideally for the return leg YVR-AKL) because my next long haul might already be with GOLD.

Q1: If I get Silver on March 15th, it means no chance for RU on my first leg?
Q2: If I get Silver in Feb, is it better to apply for RU for the first leg? Ideally, prefer to fly PE on the way back, but don't want to waste my Silver RU when I get GOLD status.

ukflyer1 Jan 27, 2023 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by kapchi_nz (Post 34960956)
I have a similar question, about getting Silver (Feb 15th or March 15th, depending on my CC spending).
Flying to Europe on March 17th and back on April 8th via YVR. I want to use my silver RU for this trip (ideally for the return leg YVR-AKL) because my next long haul might already be with GOLD.

Q1: If I get Silver on March 15th, it means no chance for RU on my first leg?
Q2: If I get Silver in Feb, is it better to apply for RU for the first leg? Ideally, prefer to fly PE on the way back, but don't want to waste my Silver RU when I get GOLD status.

1: If you get Silver on March 15, based on my recent experience moving to Gold, the RU won't post immediately so unlikely to be with the 48 hours needed for your flight on the 17th. Even if it did, you would be low down the queue (last minute, Silver etc). There is a thread on RU outcomes, not sure how your route is faring.

2: If you get Silver in Feb, I would apply for the RU for first leg as then if it doesn't clear you will get it back and can try for the second leg. Either way its a gamble, you would prefer it on the second leg but if you don't get it on the second but might of on the first, is that going to be annoying? I've effectively lost various RUs as they didn't clear, so I would use as many chances as I could get!

Also note you can lodge your Silver RU against future flights, even if you are Gold when you fly them - except you don't get it back if it doesn't clear. So if your upcoming travel doesn't work either way, you could put in for RU ahead of your next flights, before you get Gold. Hope that made sense!

kapchi Jan 30, 2023 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by ukflyer1 (Post 34963167)
Hope that made sense!

Thanks a lot!

Also if I get Gold this year, would 405 SP be enough to guarantee Silver for the next year? Or 90% rule to retain applies only to retain existing status (e.g. Gold)?

Thai-Kiwi Jan 30, 2023 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by kapchi (Post 34971584)
Thanks a lot!

Also if I get Gold this year, would 405 SP be enough to guarantee Silver for the next year? Or 90% rule to retain applies only to retain existing status (e.g. Gold)?

If you can’t earn enough to retain Gold, then you’ll get a soft landing to Silver.

What I am not clear on is whether you still need to meet the Silver threshold…