Wiki Posts
Search

QF Seamless Transfer in SYD to NZ

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2023, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Koru
QF Seamless Transfer in SYD to NZ

Does anyone have any recently experience with connecting QF-NZ in SYD on a single ticket issued by NZ? Flying OOL-SYD on an NZ flight number on QF.

The QF website seems to indicate you can use the ‘QF Seamless Transfer’ is only for QF/EK and Oneworld connections.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Does anyone have any recently experience with connecting QF-NZ in SYD on a single ticket issued by NZ? Flying OOL-SYD on an NZ flight number on QF.

The QF website seems to indicate you can use the ‘QF Seamless Transfer’ is only for QF/EK and Oneworld connections.
I had no issues doing almost exactly this TSV-BNE(QF)-WLG(NZ) on a NZ tix in June with TSV-BNE on a Nz flight number. Obviously BNE and not SYD in my case!
Old Jan 3, 2023, 4:42 pm

Pre COVID. Have done it in both directions. Think it is part of the partnership.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nzkarit
Pre COVID. Have done it in both directions. Think it is part of the partnership.
Thanks, yeah you would think it would be. If they are selling 1h55m connections in SYD. Would be a tad risky if you had to take the non air side, half hourly public transfer bus.

I’ve done a few VA/NZ connections in SYD when they had that partnership. Which that allowed you to travel on the VA transfer buses.

Last edited by cavemanzk; Jan 3, 2023 at 5:05 pm
Old Jan 3, 2023, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, yeah you would think it would be. If they are selling 1h55m connections in SYD. Would be a tad risky if you had to take the non air side, half hourly public transfer bus.

I’ve done a few VA/NZ connections in SYD when they had that partnership. Which that allowed you to travel on the VA transfer buses.
Any checked bags will/should be interlined. Have read some people take the (paid) train or free T-bus if the QF bus is busy / long queue. Depends on time of day.
I did a QF T3 to QF T1 SYD transfer before Christmas early afternoon. Waited about 5 minutes at QF T3 gate 15 (airside) for the bus. Was not that busy.

VA have a T1 transfter desk, but now no dedicated VA bus. With the VA777's gone they will have less international travellers, but some from UA.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 2:17 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
NZ have both a ticketing and baggage interline agreement with many carriers (including QF). Provided both flights are on one ticket QF will through check you to NZ. They should also be giving you a boarding pass for NZ when you check-in in OOL. However, be aware that NZ will likely call your name out in SYD and exchange the boarding pass for a NZ-issued one.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 10:41 am

Programs: Skywards, QF FF
I hope you can get it to work out, but as a data point, the ground staff at the transfer desk don't even adhere to the EK connection eligibility. I was refused in July 2022, and my husband in August 2022, arriving on EK flights and wanting to transfer to QF. And I my case, the staff were really rude about it too, which was the cherry on top of a 6am arrival.

edit to add: maybe/hopefully transferring domestic to international is more straightforward.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LyingFlat
NZ have both a ticketing and baggage interline agreement with many carriers (including QF). Provided both flights are on one ticket QF will through check you to NZ. They should also be giving you a boarding pass for NZ when you check-in in OOL. However, be aware that NZ will likely call your name out in SYD and exchange the boarding pass for a NZ-issued one.
Thanks, the classic NZ not trusting the other airlines boarding bases had that one a few time. Hopefully if I get a chance to make it into the SYD lounge they sort it there. It’s all on a single ticket issued by NZ, with carry-on only so hopefully pretty smooth.

NZ110 looks like it has had pretty bad OTP too so hopefully that helps.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 2:29 pm

Thanks, the classic NZ not trusting the other airlines boarding bases had that one a few time. Hopefully if I get a chance to make it into the SYD lounge they sort it there. It’s all on a single ticket issued by NZ, with carry-on only so hopefully pretty smooth.

NZ110 looks like it has had pretty bad OTP too so hopefully that helps.
When it is a something like a $10k fine if they fly someone who gets bounced for incorrect paperwork. Reissuing the boarding is cheap insurance.

I haven't had it happen. But from what I can gather it's when computer doesn't show all the paperwork has been checked at the origin.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 4:54 pm

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Never a problem CBR-SYD-AKL... CBR interlines although have had baggage allowance questioned, partly because the QF checkin staff confuse my QF Gold status with NZ Gold, and take time to sort it out
cavemanzk likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, make the Dom > International transfer today. It was pretty seamless and straight forward and scanner at the Qantas Bus accepted NZ boarding passes.

Definitely NZ needs to make the information about transiting via SYD more publicly available. They sell these connections (and I’m sure they sell a lot) to secondary Australian ports. Yet they don’t really give you any information on the transit.

If anything that should of been an added feature on the update app, against a booking with an transfer.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Thanks for the advice, make the Dom > International transfer today. It was pretty seamless and straight forward and scanner at the Qantas Bus accepted NZ boarding passes.

Definitely NZ needs to make the information about transiting via SYD more publicly available. They sell these connections (and I’m sure they sell a lot) to secondary Australian ports. Yet they don’t really give you any information on the transit.

If anything that should of been an added feature on the update app, against a booking with an transfer.
Glad to hear it went 'seamlessly'.

The app needs to get the basic features working properly before adding anything else!
Old Jan 13, 2023, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Glad to hear it went 'seamlessly'.

The app needs to get the basic features working properly before adding anything else!
That is True, NZ110 apparently was boarding without a gate number on that app tonight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.