Community
Wiki Posts
Search

787-9 Business Seat Question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2022, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime Plat; 2 MM; Amex Rewards; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Plat.
787-9 Business Seat Question

My wife and I are on a flight YVR to AKL, about 14 hours in C. My wife has Alzheimers and I want to choose the best seat arrangement to be of help to her. I have a choice of A5 & A6 or 1KL. I am leaning to the 1KL. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Additionally, would 1L being a bassinet seat make any difference. Thanks for the help.
Old Dec 25, 2022, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by CalRef
My wife and I are on a flight YVR to AKL, about 14 hours in C. My wife has Alzheimers and I want to choose the best seat arrangement to be of help to her. I have a choice of A5 & A6 or 1KL. I am leaning to the 1KL. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Additionally, would 1L being a bassinet seat make any difference. Thanks for the help.
The seating is a herring bone, so usually couples are closest to each other in same column - 5A and 6A in your example.

In the 789 the A aisle faces the back of the J/K aisle and is less crowded feeling (in my view).

There are 2 configurations of the 789, the screen shot below shows the smaller biz cabin.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Dec 25, 2022 at 4:48 pm Reason: better pic
Old Dec 26, 2022, 12:33 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
As Thai Kiwi pointed out, the pattern is a herring bone.
Given that, I would choose one in front of the other with you behind your wife as that places you in closest position and able to keep an eye on her as needed. 5A & 6A would work well for that.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 3:46 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
agree.. on the way back from MEL - there was a couple in a similar situation to you.. they were across from eachother and it made it quite awkward for the wife - right next to eachother would be far easier IMHO
Old Dec 27, 2022, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. I was leaning to the row 1 seats as she is often less anxious if she can see me. I will change to 5 and 6 A if still available.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the help. I was leaning to the row 1 seats as she is often less anxious if she can see me. I will change to 5 and 6 A if still available.
This is the kind of view one gets - On a 77W 10K looking at 9J & 10J. But gives you an idea.

Old Dec 27, 2022, 9:15 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
We always sit next to each other in the A seats, but communication basically means almost standing up for small people. The J/K seats are much more angled towards each other on the 787, so you can see each other
Old Jan 10, 2023, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all. We were able to get 5&6A and they proved to be the superior choice. We loved the flight, especially the spectacular crew.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks to all. We were able to get 5&6A and they proved to be the superior choice. We loved the flight, especially the spectacular crew.
Thanks for reporting back, and the data point that it went well for you both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.