Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Schedule change - 8 hour transit now 32 hours

Schedule change - 8 hour transit now 32 hours

Old Dec 19, 22, 2:46 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Auckland
Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Elite, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Posts: 1,474
Schedule change - 8 hour transit now 32 hours

Hi all, hoping for some advice before I call NZ so I might know what to expect.

I have an upcoming trip: AKL-HKG-FRA on NZ (first sector), CX (second sector) - one NZ ticket with a 8 hour transit at HKG.

AirNZ have now had a schedule change and suggested moving to the AKL-HKG flight 24 hours earlier creating a 32 hour 'transit' in HKG. In normal circumstances I would have been ok with this longer stop in HKG - always something to do. But with HKG COVID testing requirements it's a bit more of an inconvenience.

Is it likely AirNZ would offer any other routing on the desired data of travel - e.g. an option via SIN is available

Are there any other options that I could pursue.

The option of putting flight into credit exists.

Thanks for any suggestions.
jeffrocowboy is offline  
Old Dec 19, 22, 2:51 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,279
Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
Hi all, hoping for some advice before I call NZ so I might know what to expect.

I have an upcoming trip: AKL-HKG-FRA on NZ (first sector), CX (second sector) - one NZ ticket with a 8 hour transit at HKG.

AirNZ have now had a schedule change and suggested moving to the AKL-HKG flight 24 hours earlier creating a 32 hour 'transit' in HKG. In normal circumstances I would have been ok with this longer stop in HKG - always something to do. But with HKG COVID testing requirements it's a bit more of an inconvenience.

Is it likely AirNZ would offer any other routing on the desired data of travel - e.g. an option via SIN is available

Are there any other options that I could pursue.

The option of putting flight into credit exists.

Thanks for any suggestions.
How far out are we talking as to close everything is booked.

I have had suggestions of different routes in past. Do some research first. Have some dates and flight numbers handy when talking.
jeffrocowboy likes this.
nzkarit is online now  
Old Dec 19, 22, 2:57 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Auckland
Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Elite, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Posts: 1,474
Flights are in April - there is availability via SIN
jeffrocowboy is offline  
Old Dec 19, 22, 2:59 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 749
Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
Is it likely AirNZ would offer any other routing on the desired data of travel - e.g. an option via SIN is available
Yes - it is worthwhile to research some options. You can sometimes do quite well out of this from a SP/APD perspective.
jeffrocowboy likes this.
codyc1515 is offline  
Old Dec 19, 22, 3:07 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Auckland
Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Elite, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Posts: 1,474
yes the option via SIN was out first preference, but it was a lot more expensive
jeffrocowboy is offline  
Old Dec 19, 22, 3:25 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: WLG/BKK
Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Posts: 9,002
Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
yes the option via SIN was out first preference, but it was a lot more expensive
Ask them to change to via SIN as the offered re-schedule is unsuitable to you.

I have a more trivial case WLG-BKK in PE, initially WLG(NZ)-CHC(NZ)-SIN(SQ)-BKK as via AKL on NZ was too expensive. Then NZ elected to cancel CHC-SIN and put us on a codeshare SQ metal CHC-SIN with a lousy SP earn. I asked that we were re-routed WLG(NZ)-AKL(NZ)-SIN(SQ)-BKK for this reason.

Although the e-ticket shows U instead of O, the APD/SP earn remains at O levels.
jeffrocowboy likes this.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Dec 20, 22 at 1:44 am
Thai-Kiwi is online now  
Old Dec 20, 22, 1:22 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 749
Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
yes the option via SIN was out first preference, but it was a lot more expensive
Doesnt matter. In a schedule change situation (their fault, not mine) Ive always found NZ to be accomodating.
Thai-Kiwi and jeffrocowboy like this.
codyc1515 is offline  
Old Dec 20, 22, 2:43 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: FCO, SYD
Posts: 143
Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
But with HKG COVID testing requirements it's a bit more of an inconvenience.
I imagine that, by April, there will be further relaxation of the testing rgime, but, even now, you can administer the test yourself using a RAT kit, even one you bring with you from NZ. If visiting HK for a day appeals to you, I wouldn't discount it simply on account of Covid testing.
jeffrocowboy likes this.
RatherGhastly is offline  
Old Dec 20, 22, 2:43 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Auckland
Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Elite, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Posts: 1,474
thanks all for your advice - successfully changed to via SIN on NZ, then SQ - which was initially desired routing (but not originally purchased due to being much more expensive)

upshot of this - get more time in Frankfurt which protects forward travel from delays and my first flight on SQ
Thai-Kiwi and Markhm like this.
jeffrocowboy is offline  
Old Dec 22, 22, 8:27 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Posts: 19
Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
thanks all for your advice - successfully changed to via SIN on NZ, then SQ - which was initially desired routing (but not originally purchased due to being much more expensive)
What about booking class, is it the same? Will you get more SP/APD?
kapchi is offline  
Old Dec 23, 22, 12:25 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Auckland
Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Elite, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Posts: 1,474
It's booked into L - so I don't think I will get SP or AP: From the website it says this one of the "​​​​​​Booking classes ineligible to earn on flights with an 'NZ' flight number"
jeffrocowboy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread