Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Lounge access and Baggage allowance AirNZ / Cathay

Old Dec 14, 22, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

Hi all - not sure where to post this as involves AirNZ / Star Alliance, and Cathay / OneWorld - bear with as may X post to other forums. Looking forward to going back to NZ after 4 years!

I have OW Sapphire (via British Airways), and SA Gold (via TAP Portugal). I booked via Cathay Pacific the following route: I have randomly added in my various membership numbers on my booking in Cathay as it allows separate loyalty numbers to be tagged - unfortunately, I can't add my TAP Portugal account as it's SA but not a 'partnership' airline like AirNZ is...
  1. LHR-HKG (CX, operated by CX) - added my BAEC number | lounge access at LHR | Additional Sapphire check in baggage allowance
  2. HKG-AKL (CX, operated by AirNZ) - unsure which account to add but added my AirNZ number | CX lounge access at HKG | It doesn't say I get additional check in baggage, but I will be checking my bags straight through, so would have thought would keep my additional allowance
  3. various domesitc flights in AirNZ - added my TAP Portugal number | lounge access via SA Gold | Additional check in bags
  4. AKL-HKG (CX, operated by AirNZ) - unsure which account to add but added my AirNZ number | AirNZ lounge access at AKL | Check in bag allowance
  5. HKG-LHR (CX, operated by CX) - added my BAEC number | lounge access at HKG | Additional Sapphire check in baggage allowance
I have read (and probably misunderstood) various baggage policies / most significant carrier guidance and are slowly coming to the conclusion that my baggage allowance will be less on the way back to London, than it will be going to London, due to AirNZ being the most significant carrier. Is this correct? Or am I entitled on leg 4 with my TAP Portugal number and get the additional baggage allowance that way? However there is no way to attritbute my TAP number to my booking. I have also checked on my booking and it unhelpfully says 'refer to operating carrier'.

If anyone is able to comment on whether I've got this right or not, especially for flights 2 and 4, or if I have this totally wrong - please let me know. Hoping to bring back a lot of NZ goodies back to London ....! Thanks!!
Old Dec 14, 22, 9:51 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Gold, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by vegelion
Hi all - not sure where to post this as involves AirNZ / Star Alliance, and Cathay / OneWorld - bear with as may X post to other forums. Looking forward to going back to NZ after 4 years!

I have OW Sapphire (via British Airways), and SA Gold (via TAP Portugal). I booked via Cathay Pacific the following route: I have randomly added in my various membership numbers on my booking in Cathay as it allows separate loyalty numbers to be tagged - unfortunately, I can't add my TAP Portugal account as it's SA but not a 'partnership' airline like AirNZ is...
  1. LHR-HKG (CX, operated by CX) - added my BAEC number | lounge access at LHR | Additional Sapphire check in baggage allowance
  2. HKG-AKL (CX, operated by AirNZ) - unsure which account to add but added my AirNZ number | CX lounge access at HKG | It doesn't say I get additional check in baggage, but I will be checking my bags straight through, so would have thought would keep my additional allowance
  3. various domesitc flights in AirNZ - added my TAP Portugal number | lounge access via SA Gold | Additional check in bags
  4. AKL-HKG (CX, operated by AirNZ) - unsure which account to add but added my AirNZ number | AirNZ lounge access at AKL | Check in bag allowance
  5. HKG-LHR (CX, operated by CX) - added my BAEC number | lounge access at HKG | Additional Sapphire check in baggage allowance
I have read (and probably misunderstood) various baggage policies / most significant carrier guidance and are slowly coming to the conclusion that my baggage allowance will be less on the way back to London, than it will be going to London, due to AirNZ being the most significant carrier. Is this correct? Or am I entitled on leg 4 with my TAP Portugal number and get the additional baggage allowance that way? However there is no way to attritbute my TAP number to my booking. I have also checked on my booking and it unhelpfully says 'refer to operating carrier'.

If anyone is able to comment on whether I've got this right or not, especially for flights 2 and 4, or if I have this totally wrong - please let me know. Hoping to bring back a lot of NZ goodies back to London ....! Thanks!!
Assuming travel class isn't business..

On 2, you ought to get lounge access through TAP status (not BA). but luggage allowance will be based on the LHR-HKG sector which will be based on your BA status.
On 4, you ought to ge tlounge access through TAP status, baggage allowance will be based on your ticket.
Old Dec 14, 22, 11:08 am

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by libertyuk

On 2, you ought to get lounge access through TAP status (not BA). but luggage allowance will be based on the LHR-HKG sector which will be based on your BA status.
On 4, you ought to ge tlounge access through TAP status, baggage allowance will be based on your ticket.
vegelion have a read here: https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/alli...cathay-pacific

I would be much less confident that libertyuk based on what I read above, which seems the alliance partner benefits are specific to Airpoints Gold/Koru members only and not *A Golds.

2. My read is that no lounge access HKG-AKL (CX marketed, NZ operated, no NZ status). But you may get in by showing you TAP credentials.
4. My read is that no lounge access AKL-HKG (CX marketed, NZ operated, no NZ status). Better chance if you have your TAP ff# in the booking.

(try asking check-in or gate staff to enter your TAP ff# to be entered into the booking if cant do it online)

Just note that if you have Airpoints# in the booking for AKL-HKG then they wont accept you waving your TAP *G card (despite Star Alliance policy), instead they will insist you have your TAP ff# entered into the booking if you want the benefits of *G. Based on my (bitter) experience with NZs reduced willingness to embrace Star Alliance policies.

I try and avoid codeshares whenever I can .

edited to add

Have a read here: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...-auckland.html

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Dec 14, 22 at 11:20 am Reason: add CX info
Old Dec 15, 22, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by libertyuk

Thanks, yes, sorry should have mentioned am flying economy. Thank you for this!

Not sure what you mean by though: ? Based on my ticket as in - what it says on my ticket (and ignoring BA status, but TAP status might be able to give me gold benefits?

Old Dec 15, 22, 3:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
vegelion have a read here: https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/alli...cathay-pacific

I would be much less confident that libertyuk based on what I read above, which seems the alliance partner benefits are specific to Airpoints Gold/Koru members only and not *A Golds.

2. My read is that no lounge access HKG-AKL (CX marketed, NZ operated, no NZ status). But you may get in by showing you TAP credentials.
4. My read is that no lounge access AKL-HKG (CX marketed, NZ operated, no NZ status). Better chance if you have your TAP ff# in the booking.

(try asking check-in or gate staff to enter your TAP ff# to be entered into the booking if cant do it online)

Just note that if you have Airpoints# in the booking for AKL-HKG then they wont accept you waving your TAP *G card (despite Star Alliance policy), instead they will insist you have your TAP ff# entered into the booking if you want the benefits of *G. Based on my (bitter) experience with NZs reduced willingness to embrace Star Alliance policies.

I try and avoid codeshares whenever I can .

edited to add

Have a read here: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...-auckland.html
Thanks! I read those earlier and could not make 100% total sense of them. It's frustrating that AirNZ do not honour SA benefits.... what's the point of being in SA then??

Damn, I will know this for next time, I stupidly thought that because I had TAP gold it would cover me for this flight, next time I'll just try and book all in one.

I'm mainly worried about my checked in baggage, if they don't give me lounge access it's not the end of the world but would be good to know if I will be at the mercy of the staff at the check in counter and if I could just, theoretically wave my TAP gold and ask nicely... but don't want to chance it given I will have likely loaded up my suitcase already.
Old Dec 15, 22, 3:43 am

Thanks, yes, sorry should have mentioned am flying economy. Thank you for this!

Not sure what you mean by though: ? Based on my ticket as in - what it says on my ticket (and ignoring BA status, but TAP status might be able to give me gold benefits?
Don't think TAP will mean much as HKG-AKL-HKG you are on a CX flight that just happens to be on an NZ aircraft. Pretty sure it is the marketing carrier which sets stuff like this.

Out of alliance code shares get you from A to B, don't expect the frills. Sure CX and NZ status pax get more perks but they don't extend to alliance members.
Old Dec 15, 22, 3:46 am

Thanks! I read those earlier and could not make 100% total sense of them. It's frustrating that AirNZ do not honour SA benefits.... what's the point of being in SA then??
Air NZ doesn't like splitting earn & Benefits. If you want to earn to and benefit from one *A airline it's all good.
Old Dec 15, 22, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Having information that upon separate readings gets different interpretations is ... interesting. On second / third read of: Cathay guidance for most significant carrier.
Your most significant carrier is defined as follows:

If your flight travels across an IATA tariff area then the first carrier that crosses a tariff area is your most significant carrier

Exception: IATA tariff area1/2/3 only, the carrier providing carriage on the first sector that crosses between tariff area 1 and 2.
: 2. A mixed cabin class flight operated by either Cathay Pacific or any of our partner carriers.

So for my flights 4 and 5:
4: AKL - HKG: Going across subtariff area 3 : Operated by AirNZ, flying economy
5. HKG - LHR: From tariff area 3 to 2: Operated by Cathay, flying economy --> As it is the first flight to across tariff areas, then my Cathay baggage applies here?

However then the guidance on Another Cathay guide seems to contradict it by then saying:

** Airpoints Gold and Elite passengers will have access to Cathay Pacific’s lounges at Hong Kong International Airport when waiting to board the flight from Hong Kong to Auckland, but not while transiting from an Auckland - Hong Kong flight to another flight operated by Cathay Pacific (unless they are traveling in Business Class on the second leg). The exception being if the passenger is connecting to a flight to Beijing or Shanghai operated by Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon. Oneworld member benefits such as; Lounge Entry and Additional Baggage, will not apply for passengers traveling in Economy or Premium Economy on a CX flight number operated by Air New Zealand aircraft between Auckland - Hong Kong - Auckland. Please refer to the oneworld membership terms and conditions for further details.
​​​​​​​

Search this Thread