FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Baggage allowance for Star Gold (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/2103692-baggage-allowance-star-gold.html)

frmnj Dec 11, 2022 12:09 am

Baggage allowance for Star Gold

Looking to book CHC-WLG on Air NZ. One way, not connected to any international flight. Does Star Gold (United 1K) status give me a 1 free checked in bag if I book the seat only fare? If I book the seat+bag fare do I get an extra bag for total 2 checked in bags?

LyingFlat Dec 11, 2022 12:29 am

Originally Posted by frmnj (Post 34823672)
Looking to book CHC-WLG on Air NZ. One way, not connected to any international flight. Does Star Gold (United 1K) status give me a 1 free checked in bag if I book the seat only fare? If I book the seat+bag fare do I get an extra bag for total 2 checked in bags?

No. If you buy a Seat Only fare you won't get a bag as Star Gold. However, if you buy a fare that includes checked-in luggage, you will get one additional piece.

Thai-Kiwi Dec 11, 2022 1:50 am

Originally Posted by frmnj (Post 34823672)

As above from LyingFlat text from AirNZ website:

Gold members may check in one extra bag (up to 23kg) on New Zealand domestic flights over and above their ticketed allowance for no additional charge, provided travel is on a fare that includes a checked bag. The maximum number of checked-in bags is 3, any additional or overweight bags will be charged as excess baggage. This offer is not applicable to customers travelling on Seat fares that do not have a baggage allowance.
https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/gold-benefits

Silver Fox Dec 11, 2022 2:15 am

The other thing I would do if you go the checked bag option is to print off the page that says "Gold members may check in one extra bag (up to 23kg) on New Zealand domestic flights over and above their ticketed allowance for no additional charge, provided travel is on a fare that includes a checked bag." I've lost count of the amount of times that I've been questioned on this and it seems particularly bad on Air NZ both domestically and internationally.

sbiddle Dec 11, 2022 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox (Post 34823765)
The other thing I would do if you go the checked bag option is to print off the page that says "Gold members may check in one extra bag (up to 23kg) on New Zealand domestic flights over and above their ticketed allowance for no additional charge, provided travel is on a fare that includes a checked bag." I've lost count of the amount of times that I've been questioned on this and it seems particularly bad on Air NZ both domestically and internationally.

I've never seen or heard of a single other person ever raise this as an issue.

The HVC benefits are tied directly to your FFP number so you need to enter this at the time of booking. I'm curious to know what is happening in your case that this doesn't work properly.

frmnj Dec 11, 2022 10:12 am

Thanks, I saw it but read it as being applicable for AirNZ Gold members traveling on other Star Alliance carriers. Didn’t see the language on reciprocal bag benefits for non-AirNZ Star Gold members flying on Air NZ. I guess I will print it out and we will see what happens at check in.

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi (Post 34823745)
As above from LyingFlat text from AirNZ website:

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/gold-benefits

Silver Fox Dec 11, 2022 11:09 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 34824504)
I've never seen or heard of a single other person ever raise this as an issue.

The HVC benefits are tied directly to your FFP number so you need to enter this at the time of booking. I'm curious to know what is happening in your case that this doesn't work properly.

Me too. Usual answers are "traiining", "never heard of this before". And yeah, FFP number, *G for life is always entered. It shouldn't happen, but does. at LHR, CHC, AKL it happens.

Nightowl888 Dec 11, 2022 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox (Post 34824697)
Me too. Usual answers are "traiining", "never heard of this before". And yeah, FFP number, *G for life is always entered. It shouldn't happen, but does. at LHR, CHC, AKL it happens.

Had this at AKL int’l a couple weeks ago. The queue for premium was longer so got in the regular line. The staff member was initially trying to deny me checking in a second bag because it was a “weight restricted flight”. He was new but got his supervisor to double check and all was fine after a couple of minutes.

Thai-Kiwi Dec 11, 2022 11:56 am

Originally Posted by frmnj (Post 34824583)
Thanks, I saw it but read it as being applicable for AirNZ Gold members traveling on other Star Alliance carriers. Didn’t see the language on reciprocal bag benefits for non-AirNZ Star Gold members flying on Air NZ. I guess I will print it out and we will see what happens at check in.

This text is printed on one of my domestic tickets:

Airpoints Elite, Gold, Star Alliance Gold and Koru Club with checked baggage are entitled to one additional piece
without charge
when travelling in Economy or Premium Economy on Air New Zealand ticketed and operated
flights. This offer is not applicable to fares which do not have a baggage allowance e.g. 'seat only' fares.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e651c91963.png

frmnj Dec 15, 2022 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi (Post 34824808)
This text is printed on one of my domestic tickets:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e651c91963.png

Yes! I saw that in my ticket too after I booked.

cfischer Dec 16, 2022 8:08 am

If you book 2 pax you can book one w/ bag and 1 w/o ... then travel with 2 bags. That is what we did earlier this year. Definitely 0 bags if you don't have at least 1 purchased.

zoovet Dec 16, 2022 11:43 am

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 34839164)
If you book 2 pax you can book one w/ bag and 1 w/o ... then travel with 2 bags. That is what we did earlier this year. Definitely 0 bags if you don't have at least 1 purchased.

No problems we do that all the time.

Rebound Dec 16, 2022 1:39 pm

Yep that's what we do on domestic hops to ZQN

frmnj Dec 17, 2022 9:40 pm

Yes, that's what I ended up doing. Thanks for all the advice!

char777 Jan 31, 2024 12:57 am

Hi, I wanted to double check something and wasn’t clear on the answer.

I am flying ZQN-AKL and then AKL-SFO on UA metal. I booked both separately. ZQN-AKL is booked in coach flexichange. AKL-SFO is Polaris Business. I’m also a UA Plat (Star Gold).

1) Can I check one bag or two? Per the UA ticket and Star rules, I believe I should be allowed to check two. However, when I check-in on the Air NZ website, it tries to charge me $30 for a second bag.

2) Will I run into any hassles at ZQN trying to check my bag all the way to SFO?

Thank you.