Baggage allowance for Star Gold

Old Jan 31, 2024, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by char777
Hi, I wanted to double check something and wasn’t clear on the answer.

I am flying ZQN-AKL and then AKL-SFO on UA metal. I booked both separately. ZQN-AKL is booked in coach flexichange. AKL-SFO is Polaris Business. I’m also a UA Plat (Star Gold).

1) Can I check one bag or two? Per the UA ticket and Star rules, I believe I should be allowed to check two. However, when I check-in on the Air NZ website, it tries to charge me $30 for a second back.

2) Will I run into any hassles at ZQN trying to check my bag all the way to SFO?

Thank you.
Flexichange comes with one bag so with *A you can add an extra to make 2 bags

Depending on who and how busy they will not check through on separate tickets. 2 tickets they don't have to through check and is only sometime bent for AirNZ Elite, not *A. May luck out on the day but don't expect it to be through checked.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by nzkarit
Flexichange comes with one bag so with *A you can add an extra to make 2 bags

Depending on who and how busy they will not check through on separate tickets. 2 tickets they don't have to through check and is only sometime bent for AirNZ Elite, not *A. May luck out on the day but don't expect it to be through checked.
Thanks for this. I saw this before I got to the airport today, so this helped.

To update, when I got to the NZ counter at ZQN and the agent asked where I was going, I simply said SFO. She asked if I already had my UA boarding pass, and I did, so I gave it to her. She looked at it, typed on her computer for a few minutes, and concluded that she couldn’t check the bag all the way through. She said that she maybe could have done it had I not already checked in for the UA flight, but I couldn’t quite follow all of what she said. She also said, as expected, that she would have been able to do it if it were all booked as one ticket.

It didn’t seem like she was being punitive or anything — ANZ agents simply have limited or no access to UA’s computer system.

Arriving at AKL, claiming bags, walking to the international terminal, rechecking bags, and getting through security took about 45 minutes altogether in the priority lanes.

Last edited by char777; Jan 31, 2024 at 8:01 pm
Old Jan 31, 2024, 8:54 pm

Programs: NZ*G, MAR Titanium, HLT Diamond

Arriving at AKL, claiming bags, walking to the international terminal, rechecking bags, and getting through security took about 45 minutes altogether in the priority lanes.
I bet that even if you hadn't checked your UA flight in, the agent would have come up with a different excuse. They simply don't like to interline separate tickets or have been instructed not to. But when you do find a willing agent, as I have from time to time, they have had no issue with issuing boarding passes for another airline (checked in or not), especially their *A partners.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 11:49 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Thanks for this. I saw this before I got to the airport today, so this helped.

To update, when I got to the NZ counter at ZQN and the agent asked where I was going, I simply said SFO. She asked if I already had my UA boarding pass, and I did, so I gave it to her. She looked at it, typed on her computer for a few minutes, and concluded that she couldn’t check the bag all the way through. She said that she maybe could have done it had I not already checked in for the UA flight, but I couldn’t quite follow all of what she said. She also said, as expected, that she would have been able to do it if it were all booked as one ticket.

It didn’t seem like she was being punitive or anything — ANZ agents simply have limited or no access to UA’s computer system.

NZ still uses its own in house reservation system, which they like doing all sort of bespoke things to. I wouldn’t be surprised if they have made a module, to limit interlining on seperate tickets or at least make the process hard.

Most NZ agents at the airport, still look at what looks like a dos session for part of there work flow.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
NZ still uses its own in house reservation system, which they like doing all sort of bespoke things to. I wouldn’t be surprised if they have made a module, to limit interlining on seperate tickets or at least make the process hard.

Most NZ agents at the airport, still look at what looks like a dos session for part of there work flow.
I think the system is still CARINA and was introduced around 1971 - so must be quite the Frankenstein these days!

Ellice likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
I think the system is still CARINA and was introduced around 1971 - so must be quite the Frankenstein these days!

When you know how to drive a CLI it will always be way faster than a GUI.

Don't let a CLI make you think it is bad.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nzkarit
When you know how to drive a CLI it will always be way faster than a GUI.

Don't let a CLI make you think it is bad.
I know. I have been dabbling casually since the days of portapunch fortran and Zork I , so using CLI is ‘native’. But I digress.

Back on topic, the ability of AirNZ to adequately service customers with even slightly complex itineraries involving more than their own metal has slowly been degrading (in my experience). I have wondered, in part, if this is due to increasing difficulty in CARINA interfacing with more modern systems. I just dug up a news story from the early 2000s interviewing Rob Fyfe on replacing/updating CARINA at that time - his conclusions was that he didn’t want to over-invest if the customer experience didn’t improve commensurately.

I do note that of all the carriers I fly with, all seem to have customer-facing IT quirks of some kind (web & app). And throw in some likely AirNZ policy rules (in the case above regarding UA) and perhaps we on the ‘outside’ will never really know.
Ellice and ausexpatinusa like this.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Feb 1, 2024 at 9:41 am
Old Feb 20, 2024, 9:30 am

Programs: EVA: Gold; Starlux: Explorer; China Airlines: Gold
Priority handling for nonAZ *G

Just wondering if priority handling of luggage is still offered for AirNZ domestic flight with nonAirNZ *G member? If so, do I need to q for the premium lane to get the “priority “ tag?
Old Feb 20, 2024, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Taten_R.O.C.
Just wondering if priority handling of luggage is still offered for AirNZ domestic flight with nonAirNZ *G member? If so, do I need to q for the premium lane to get the “priority “ tag?
No priority just gets printed on the bag tag.

They don't use the extra flag things you see overseas.
Taten_R.O.C. likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To be clear, the word PRIORITY is printed in on the baggage (with the bar code and destination). There is no additional bright red tag or otyer means to identiofy you bag as for priority handling. Domestic flights are usually pretty quick with baggage unloading so it isn’t a big deal.
cavemanzk and Taten_R.O.C. like this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 3:14 pm

And yes it is offered to BR*G and other *G's. As others have said it's printed onto the bag tags automatically, whether you use the kiosks or queue up for the premium line.
Taten_R.O.C. likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.