Wiki Posts
Search

Seats availability ex WLG alert

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2022, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ EP
Seats availability ex WLG alert

I'm hoping to fly WLG to NSN this coming 23/12 or Xmas eve and there is currently zero availability.

Is it possible to use a service such as Expert Flyer to send an alert if seats free up before the day of departure?
is this a seat alert or a flight availability alert (or something else)?
TIA

Last edited by Gasfoodlodging; Nov 18, 2022 at 2:50 am
Old Nov 18, 2022, 8:55 am

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Flights over Christmas and much into January are all at the most expensive levels, for paid tickets. Good luck with points.

I would say flying to OZ is trans tasman is near impossible

If you do find a seat using points, let me know I'll buy you dinner to celebrate
Old Nov 18, 2022, 9:29 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Sounds Air still has a few seats left.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Gasfoodlodging
I'm hoping to fly WLG to NSN this coming 23/12 or Xmas eve and there is currently zero availability.

Is it possible to use a service such as Expert Flyer to send an alert if seats free up before the day of departure?
is this a seat alert or a flight availability alert (or something else)?
TIA
To answer your actual questions, yes it is possible to use ExpertFlyer to set up alerts for seat availability (and many other things). You need to specify date and fare class etc.

Here is a screenshot of that functionality

Gasfoodlodging and Ellice like this.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 12:06 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
If there are a couple of you travelling together to NSN, maybe look into some charter options?

It’s only a short flight, so chartering maybe a reasonable option.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
To answer your actual questions, yes it is possible to use ExpertFlyer to set up alerts for seat availability (and many other things). You need to specify date and fare class etc.

Here is a screenshot of that functionality

thank you : )

That’s what I needed…Looks like I’ll set up separate alerts for each flight number that works for our window.

oh, and for extra kudos, do you know the class code for (presumably) the most expensive fare bucket?
Old Nov 18, 2022, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
If there are a couple of you travelling together to NSN, maybe look into some charter options?

It’s only a short flight, so chartering maybe a reasonable option.
fair call, not quite economic for this trip…but we had a competitive price quoted by Pelorus Air for another planned trip for 4 of us + bikes. Was wellytown to Picton. Didn’t pan out that time, but would definitely consider again.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
thank you : )

That’s what I needed…Looks like I’ll set up separate alerts for each flight number that works for our window.

oh, and for extra kudos, do you know the class code for (presumably) the most expensive fare bucket?

Y, then B, M, H … in descending order.

Sometimes (not always), if a lower fare class is cancelled, the system will return it into that fare class. At least initially.

So if, say, a M fare is cancelled you can go from Y0B0M0H0….. to Y1B1M1H0….. The system then seems to tidy these up after a period.

Just set the alert for Y1, and if a seat come free when you go to the AirNZ page it’ll be obvious if there are cheaper fare classes.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Nov 18, 2022 at 5:12 pm
Old Nov 19, 2022, 7:56 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand
Sounds Air have a couple of seats left on a 0600 WLG-NSN on the 23rd. Originair have seats available on both the 23rd and the 24th.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HighFlyingKiwi
Sounds Air have a couple of seats left on a 0600 WLG-NSN on the 23rd. Originair have seats available on both the 23rd and the 24th.
cheers.
I should have made it clear I meant NZ.

neither of those baby planes work for me this time around due to schedule and luggage needs.

I’ve tried various routing options and I have an Akl-Nsn as a back up, but I’m hoping there’s one or two cancelations ex wlg to minimise drive time.

I’m torn though, as I had a cancelled flight last Saturday that led to an extra 8 hours driving I didn’t really need!! It’s all a lucky dip 😂
Old Nov 20, 2022, 4:45 am

What would fit on a Q300 or ATR that wouldn't fit on a J32? A Cessna Caravan I can understand, but a Jetstream has plenty of cargo/baggage space... especially with the extra pod underneath

The likelyhood of space opening up on NZ on that route, on those dates are fairly slim. But hey, you might get lucky.
codyc1515 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 10:15 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
If Air NZ is the only option you want to look at your best bet is to book via CHC as there are still plenty of seats available. It's the busiest flying day of the year so the odds of seats opening is is pretty slim.
Gasfoodlodging likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HighFlyingKiwi
What would fit on a Q300 or ATR that wouldn't fit on a J32? A Cessna Caravan I can understand, but a Jetstream has plenty of cargo/baggage space... especially with the extra pod underneath

The likelyhood of space opening up on NZ on that route, on those dates are fairly slim. But hey, you might get lucky.
cheers.
And reference for the curious.
originair policy : (

Bikes:

Due to the size limitations of the baggage hold in our Jetstream 31 and Jetstream 32 aircraft we are unable to carry bikes.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 12:05 am

cheers.
And reference for the curious.
originair policy : (

Bikes:

Due to the size limitations of the baggage hold in our Jetstream 31 and Jetstream 32 aircraft we are unable to carry bikes.

Oh wow! That's quite interesting. I remember when the Vincent J32s were operating Eagle services for Air NZ, there was no problems checking in a bike, or surfboard ect. Certainly wouldn't want more then one though Bit of a juggle!

All the best, hope some seats open up closer to the time as people's plans change
Old Nov 25, 2022, 11:41 pm

Have you explored using waitlisting with the contact centre or your travel agent? Almost certainly someone’s seat will come up - whether you get it is a different question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.