Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why no domestic wifi?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2022, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Why no domestic wifi?

Posting this in the air on a QF 737-800 flying a domestic 60 minute route in Australia. Like it seems most QF flights, wifi and entertainment delivery by wifi all provided for free.

Is there any good reason apart from not willing to invest in the customer experience NZ cant do this too?
Old Oct 31, 2022, 5:51 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
Posting this in the air on a QF 737-800 flying a domestic 60 minute route in Australia. Like it seems most QF flights, wifi and entertainment delivery by wifi all provided for free.

Is there any good reason apart from not willing to invest in the customer experience NZ cant do this too?
Most of NZ is already up in arms about flight prices if you're too believe the media. Why should Air NZ invest millions into this along with the massive increase in running costs of the platform? What is the benefit when most jet flights are under an hour?

The economics are also very different. QF will be paying a fraction of the cost Air NZ are paying per mb for data since they can utilituse the NBN Sky Muster satellites deployed above Australia whereas Air NZ are reliant on Inmarsat GX which is a global platform and priced accordingly.
​​​​
Old Oct 31, 2022, 5:53 pm

Programs: NZ*GE

I know tail fade is a big factor in New Zealand, especially with our North-South bias for flight direction
Old Oct 31, 2022, 6:05 pm

* Cost of setup.
* Monthly cost.
* Cost of weight. They are working towards carbon zero
* NZ's domestic flights aren't that long comapred with QF.

But given that QF users NBN they only have coverage over Australia so international flights have no Wi-Fi.

Right now I would most probably wait for Starlink to become certified as cost, speed and size is likely to be game changing.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Alphapapa
I know tail fade is a big factor in New Zealand, especially with our North-South bias for flight direction
Yip while tail fade is only an issue due to the location of the current GX3 satellite, it's not something that will change within the next few years at least but will hopefully change as Inmarsat launch their new GX satellites.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Thanks as always for the knowledgeable very informed replies! Seems not as easy as putting a router into a plane! 😂

I'll keep using my mobile data until its loses coverage then!
prp343 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 7:32 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, QF Gold, Accor+ Diamond
I'll keep using my mobile data until its loses coverage then!
Really?
Old Oct 31, 2022, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beckett66
Really?
No comment! 😂
Old Nov 1, 2022, 1:02 pm

No comment! 😂
Shhh people here are worried about luggage tags transmitting haha
Old Nov 1, 2022, 1:30 pm

Doesn't really matter if you leave a phone on.. It pretty much won't work 99% of the time in flight anyway.

Modern cellsite sector antennas tilt down to cover the ground, not upwards to cover the sky. It's slightly different to the old AMPS analogue days where signal would still bleed upwards from omni antennas and some sites were specifically designed for this coverage - Air NZ even used to have a phone on board most of their 737 fleet in the 90s for passengers to use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.