Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to book from AirNZ NZ for flights originate from outports?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2022, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*E

Once again, appreciate collective wisdom from the forum.

I have tried to secure some sensible pricing to Hong Kong over Christmas but decided to go to Seoul and book another leg from ICN to HKG.

Now after this leg is booked, I find pricing from HKG is a lot more expensive for the same flights from airnz.com.hk

Is there anything that the call centre can help with? The multi trip tool does not help at all and I feel quite helpless...

Thanks but reluctantly accepting this costly mistake....

Many thanks and happy for this thread to be shifted to another place.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 3:40 am

I sympathise with you OP but never had any luck with getting non NZ, non islands-originating itineraries ticketed in NZD (ie by the NZ website or contact centre) due to fare rules etc.

You could try to change your AKL-ICN flight to AKL-ICN-open jaw-HKG-AKL though, maybe that will be viewed as a return fare under certain fare rules? Could be a long shot but worth a try IMO.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by akl_cat
I sympathise with you OP but never had any luck with getting non NZ, non islands-originating itineraries ticketed in NZD (ie by the NZ website or contact centre) due to fare rules etc.

You could try to change your AKL-ICN flight to AKL-ICN-open jaw-HKG-AKL though, maybe that will be viewed as a return fare under certain fare rules? Could be a long shot but worth a try IMO.
thanks, would that be a request I can try to register w the forever clogged call centre? Have you done this before?
Old Oct 9, 2022, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by mmonster
thanks, would that be a request I can try to register w the forever clogged call centre? Have you done this before?
The phone is alright if you call outside weather events. I have had sub minute pickup times. My phone number is matched to my Airpoints Account.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 4:17 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
If you booked your ticket directly through NZ you would have two options:

1. Have the ticket reissued as an open jaw AKL-ICN /- HKG-AKL
2. Pre-Covid, some fares to/from ICN permitted travel via HKG using CX/KE/OZ (KA was an option but obviously no longer operating). If this is still the case, NZ should be able to reissue your ticket to be AKL-NZ-ICN-CX/KE/OZ-HKG-NZ-AKL.

If you've booked through an agent, they should be able to reissue to the above. Note that no penalty fee should apply to the ticket (if the fare has one) provided that you are not touching the AKL-ICN flight.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LyingFlat
If you booked your ticket directly through NZ you would have two options:

1. Have the ticket reissued as an open jaw AKL-ICN /- HKG-AKL
2. Pre-Covid, some fares to/from ICN permitted travel via HKG using CX/KE/OZ (KA was an option but obviously no longer operating). If this is still the case, NZ should be able to reissue your ticket to be AKL-NZ-ICN-CX/KE/OZ-HKG-NZ-AKL.

If you've booked through an agent, they should be able to reissue to the above. Note that no penalty fee should apply to the ticket (if the fare has one) provided that you are not touching the AKL-ICN flight.
Thanks - I had the call and return leg issued! at more reasonable, still crazy NZD pricing! Thanks everyone!

Last edited by mmonster; Oct 9, 2022 at 3:41 pm Reason: many thanks, it was booked with AirNZ direct so I have given them a call and requested a callback, I will let people know how
Old Oct 12, 2022, 6:39 pm

For Australia and Pacific Islands you can (or at least you used to be able to) book a fully refundable flexi fare for the NZ-outport sector and the fare you wanted to travel on for the outport-NZ sector - and then ring up to cancel just the NZ-outport leg for a refund. The ticket doesn't reprice IME. I don't know if this works for international fares as they may not price as two one ways like Aus/PacIs fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.