Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Headphone jacks

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2022, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Headphone jacks

I’m travelling on Air New Zealand soon and want to use a wireless flight adapter for my Bluetooth headphones. I’d like to know if I can use one prong or do I need to use two. I haven’t flown for a while and can’t remember which the airline use. Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 12:27 pm

One .
Jacss12 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 1:18 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
The simple answer is both on most aircraft.

Single 3.5mm on the IFE
Jacss12 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 12:15 pm

https://www.amazon.com.au/Bose-Headp.../dp/B008F5JXA0
Old Sep 28, 2022, 12:30 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by Jacss12
I’m travelling on Air New Zealand soon and want to use a wireless flight adapter for my Bluetooth headphones. I’d like to know if I can use one prong or do I need to use two. I haven’t flown for a while and can’t remember which the airline use. Thanks for any advice you can give me.
https://www.twelvesouth.com/products/airfly
Peter Snijder likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 1:13 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, QF Gold, Accor+ Diamond
Originally Posted by Rebound
I'm considering replacing my older Bluetooth transmitter with an Airfly. But some reviews say that the audio abruptly cuts out whenever audio levels are low (eg, during a quiet part in a film). Have you found that? If not, perhaps it's just an occasional defect.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 1:17 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by Beckett66
I'm considering replacing my older Bluetooth transmitter with an Airfly. But some reviews say that the audio abruptly cuts out whenever audio levels are low (eg, during a quiet part in a film). Have you found that? If not, perhaps it's just an occasional defect.
Haven't really done a lot of flying but next time I do I'll give it a test
Beckett66 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 9:36 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Good morning,
As part of my process of crawling into the current decade, I'd like to dispense with the annoying cord that connects my QC45's to the IFE.
Which adapter are people using and recommending these days.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 11:40 am

I don't personally have one of these transmitters but know a few people who do who reckon this unit is great https://www.amazon.com.au/Connect-Bl...dp/B09HRGYCSS/

There are a lot of cheaper devices around particularly on Amazon and eBay and Sountpeats do one as well that is good. There are also a myriad of such devices that you can now pick up in appliance stores.

Rather than recommending a device I'll point out a few things to be aware of.

Firstly Bluetooth uses SBC as the default codec if it can't negotiate anything better, and SBC is really high latency - up to around 200ms depending on the device(s). This will mean you'll see noticeable lip sync issues when watching content. Many headphones these days support AAC and aptX protocols that offer better audio quality and far lower latency however both the transmitter and headphones need to support this. QC45's as an example don't support aptX so if I was you I'd be looking around for a transmitter that supports AAC, but just be aware when I spent hours earlier in the year looking at various devices I found many that did TX and RX only supported AAC on RX (ie streaming from your phone to the unit) and didn't support AAC on TX (streaming to your headphones).

Many are still older devices that are micro USB rather than USB-C so if you're somebody who only has USB-C devices you might find having to carry another cable annoying as well.

You'll find these units are way cheaper on the usual Chinese sites such as Aliexpress but just need to ensure you find something that meets your requirements. I still have a really old one I got probably 5-6 years ago from Aliexpress that still does the trick but doesn't support aptX nor AAC.

Last edited by sbiddle; Dec 6, 2022 at 11:47 am
Old Dec 6, 2022, 11:55 am

I just had another quick look at devices.. I'm not recommending this in any way but spec wise it looks pretty good and supports various aptX variants and AAC - but doesn't do AAC for TX only RX so you'd be stuck with SBC on the QC45's

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005033080750.html
Old Dec 8, 2022, 10:25 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I just had another quick look at devices.. I'm not recommending this in any way but spec wise it looks pretty good and supports various aptX variants and AAC - but doesn't do AAC for TX only RX so you'd be stuck with SBC on the QC45's

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005033080750.html
Thank you for the expert information

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.