JFK-AKL diversions begin.

Old Oct 11, 22, 1:20 am

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
Your Corp TA could have easily picked up NZ coded UA operated IAD-LAX segment, which would have solved the surcharge problem.
I am sure that they would have if that option was possible. Only AS was offered hence the manual build and surcharge. Flights were booked in early March so capacity was still building. So presumably any NZ codeshare on UA was either unavailable or fully sold.
Old Oct 13, 22, 3:34 am

Programs: NZ*E
I wonder what they do with the blocked seats? I assume Y pax will try to occupy the entire row?
Old Oct 13, 22, 3:45 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
Your Corp TA could have easily picked up NZ coded UA operated IAD-LAX segment, which would have solved the surcharge problem.
Not necessarily. NZ fares usually allow travel on either the NZ or UA flight number domestically in the USA. However, the fare basis used for the international flight may not necessarily match up to what is available domestically.

For example, an NZ J fare won't necessarily book into J on the NZ marketed/UA operated flight. Nor will it book into J on the UA flight number (from recollection J is the highest booking class on UA). However, NZ does allow agents to book out-of-class on the domestic UA/DL/AS/AA flights. This requires an authority from NZ as well as the collection of a surcharge (which requires a manual fare build) otherwise an ADM will be issued to the agent.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Oct 13, 22, 9:24 am

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AC E50, Westjet Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mmonster View Post
I assume Y pax will try to occupy the entire row?
Would make sense for them to do that as the weight is still the same.
If all Y pax were to move fore or aft it could effect W&B, but no reason why the pax would do that.

Your question brings up something else
NZ could upcharge for an entire row as a Y add on.
Old Oct 13, 22, 1:18 pm

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by taupo View Post
If all Y pax were to move fore or aft it could effect W&B, but no reason why the pax would do that.

SkyCouch Lite?
Old Oct 13, 22, 7:50 pm

that's what I am thinking - why pay for PE when you can have not 2 but 3 seats!
And it is an epic fail to the choice of aircraft, SQ does JFK with only PE and J
Old Oct 13, 22, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post
SkyCouch Lite?
yes, except it si Free of charge!
Old Oct 14, 22, 10:04 am

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AC E50, Westjet Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mmonster View Post
And it is an epic fail to the choice of aircraft, SQ does JFK with only PE and J
The choice of metal maybe correct, but the configuration is not.
NZ should have it all BP & PE for the AKL-JFK-AKL route.
It is a premium route and I am quite sure they would fill or close to fill those premium seats at premium prices.

Pax out of the Eastern seaboard who cannot stretch their budget to BP & PE prices have a myriad of connection options via LAX, SFO & YVR on NZ, AC & UA if they want to be *A.
Old Oct 14, 22, 3:07 pm

Programs: NZ *E
It is a premium route and I am quite sure they would fill or close to fill those premium seats at premium prices.

Pax out of the Eastern seaboard who cannot stretch their budget to BP & PE prices have a myriad of connection options via LAX, SFO & YVR on NZ, AC & UA if they want to be *A.
But would be tricky to manage having a specific configuration like that with such a small overall fleet size (particularly during periodic heavy maintenance etc).

I wonder about how sensibile the timing was of launching this route given overall fleet capacity issues but I suspect it might be slot related at JFK (and some sort of 'use it or lose it' situation).
Old Oct 14, 22, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by samjnz View Post
But would be tricky to manage having a specific configuration like that with such a small overall fleet size (particularly during periodic heavy maintenance etc).

I wonder about how sensibile the timing was of launching this route given overall fleet capacity issues but I suspect it might be slot related at JFK (and some sort of 'use it or lose it' situation).
Plus the timing apparently was going to take Ardern to the UN, so got more media coverage, but the Queen's funeral rerouted things.
Old Oct 17, 22, 6:18 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Do you ever back and forth to NZ via AKL instead of SFO and LAX?
I'm not exactly sure I understand what you are asking.

I live in SEA, so in order to fly to New Zealand on NZ I have to connect in SFO, LAX, YVR or HNL (I've done all four at least once and all flights go to AKL). I have also flown from LAX to AKL via RAR (back when that existed). Houston, Chicago and New York would not be practical for me, given my location.

Otherwise there are no options direct from Seattle, as the only Southern Hemisphere destination SEA directly connects to is PPT on Air Tahiti Nui.
Old Oct 18, 22, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by SeaProf View Post
I'm not exactly sure I understand what you are asking.

I live in SEA, so in order to fly to New Zealand on NZ I have to connect in SFO, LAX, YVR or HNL (I've done all four at least once and all flights go to AKL). I have also flown from LAX to AKL via RAR (back when that existed). Houston, Chicago and New York would not be practical for me, given my location.

Otherwise there are no options direct from Seattle, as the only Southern Hemisphere destination SEA directly connects to is PPT on Air Tahiti Nui.
A reminder I should proof read.
Meant to ask, do you ever go via YVR but you answered that.
I asked as I ASSume that many of the NZ pax flying out of YVR are from PNW
zoovet and SeaProf like this.
Old Oct 18, 22, 9:29 pm

Programs: NZ Gold, AS, AC, QF
I think have a small Y cabin still makes more sense. So those of us peons who've achieved gold by flying in Y everywhere (thanks public sector travel policy) can have a shot at using an RU on NZ1/2 to get into PE.

It's all about me.

Old Oct 18, 22, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by jawnbc View Post
I think have a small Y cabin still makes more sense. So those of us peons who've achieved gold by flying in Y everywhere (thanks public sector travel policy) can have a shot at using an RU on NZ1/2 to get into PE.

It's all about me.
NZ knows their market and have the V3 setup like that. With only the rear section economy
Old Oct 19, 22, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by nzkarit View Post
NZ knows their market and have the V3 setup like that. With only the rear section economy
Will the V3 have the legs to make JFK-AKL when fully laden with pax and all their bags?

Search this Thread