Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-AKL diversions begin.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2022, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by Gasfoodlodging
Slightly OT…

if one was looking to go NZ via JFK to France, is it fair to say there’s tight verging on impossible connections for same night flights?

Can’t seem to see any day flights to CDG from JFK either…was thinking of trying the TWA hotel, but thinking it might be better heading to city, then EWR. (not fussed on star alliance, happy to mix it up)
By the time NZ2 arrives & allow for border & change terminal & TSA & minimum connection time there isn't much left

Just go to JFK site & look at departures.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 6:20 am

Programs: AA EXP
Slightly OT…

if one was looking to go NZ via JFK to France, is it fair to say there’s tight verging on impossible connections for same night flights?

Can’t seem to see any day flights to CDG from JFK either…was thinking of trying the TWA hotel, but thinking it might be better heading to city, then EWR. (not fussed on star alliance, happy to mix it up)
You'd need to find a fare that allows a connection in JFK. I can't see one. NZ appears to allows connections to CDG in HOU, LAX, SFO and YVR in North America.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 9:44 am

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Slightly OT…

Looking at dates in November, NZ2 from AKL lands at 5.40pm which gives you viable connections to a number of nonstop CDG flights:
  • AF11 at 9.30pm
  • DL264 at 10.40pm
  • AF17 at 11.30pm
  • AF9 at 11:55pm
The AF flights are even from the same terminal (JFK T1) while Delta is from T4.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
AirNZ booking engine has some really odd outcomes.

In June my return IAD-AKL provided a solution on AS rather than UA, and had a very tight connection at LosAngeles - IAD-LAX(AS)-AKL(NZ) . Not even Star Alliance! Corporate TA was stumped as to why UA segments were not offered IAD-LAX, and needed to build the fare manually with a significant ‘surcharge’ to fly IAD-LAX on UA with a longer transit to de-risk the possibility of a mis-connect at LAX.

In Sep, my AKL-LHR needed to go via YVR. Again the AirNZ booking engine only offered a 7 hour connection onto BA rather than a 2 or 3 hour connection onto either of the AC flights. So again, the onwards sector was not Star Alliance. Fortunately hold status with OW so passed the time comfortably.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi

In June my return IAD-AKL provided a solution on AS rather than UA, and had a very tight connection at LosAngeles - IAD-LAX(AS)-AKL(NZ) . Not even Star Alliance! Corporate TA was stumped as to why UA segments were not offered IAD-LAX, and needed to build the fare manually with a significant ‘surcharge’ to fly IAD-LAX on UA with a longer transit to de-risk the possibility of a mis-connect at LAX.

In Sep, my AKL-LHR needed to go via YVR. Again the AirNZ booking engine only offered a 7 hour connection onto BA rather than a 2 or 3 hour connection onto either of the AC flights. So again, the onwards sector was not Star Alliance. Fortunately hold status with OW so passed the time comfortably.
The booking engine suggests code shares first. And code shares are set up to minimise transit times so doesn't always favour *A. Was 2 or 3 above or below the MCT & did NZ have a code share for that flight?

I would have thought a travel agent would regularly see this?

If not a code share have to build manually I thought as couldn't get on single ticket stock
Old Oct 7, 2022, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nzkarit
The booking engine suggests code shares first. And code shares are set up to minimise transit times so doesn't always favour *A. Was 2 or 3 above or below the MCT & did NZ have a code share for that flight?

I would have thought a travel agent would regularly see this?

If not a code share have to build manually I thought as couldn't get on single ticket stock
For IAD-LAX, the AS flight offered by NZ was not a codeshare. For YVR-LHR, the BA flight offered by NZ was not a codeshare. Both met MCT, although the 2 hours at LAX was tight in my view, hence the desire for a longer transit.

The favouring of codeshare was evident for the return YOW-YVR-AKL, where YOW-YVR direct on AC was an NZ codeshare 0800-1020 - downside was the 9 hour transit at YVR until NZ21 at 1915…
Old Oct 7, 2022, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
In terms fo connections at JFK - Its possible to catch the very last flights to London, and parts of Europe.. Assuming the plane lands at 7pm, allowing for 2 1/2 hours, one could catch the BA flight to London that leaves at 11pm, 2300 with plenty of time. There's also an American flight that leaves around the same time

NZ 1 / 2/ could easily extend to LHR, the timings allow for it ( hypothetically).

Its also very easy to connect from London on to NZ1, easily. Separate tickets sadly.

If had to get from AKL to London quickly - this would be my route of choice. Go east, 16 hours to New York, 6/12 to London.

Its too bad United no longer operates JFK-LHR. They did 10+ years ago, that would have been an easy logical code share.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 1:36 am

Programs: NZ EP
Originally Posted by mad_atta
Looking at dates in November, NZ2 from AKL lands at 5.40pm which gives you viable connections to a number of nonstop CDG flights:
  • AF11 at 9.30pm
  • DL264 at 10.40pm
  • AF17 at 11.30pm
  • AF9 at 11:55pm
The AF flights are even from the same terminal (JFK T1) while Delta is from T4.
Thanks heaps.
I’m looking at early July, looks like 740pm arrival. 1130 seems doable.

of course via SIN might be more straight forward…decisions decisions.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 3:40 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
AKL-LHR via SFO or LAX is 300-400 miles shorter than AKL-LHR via JFK. More “major” Star routes from SFO to Europe (eg, AMS, CDG, LHR) than from JFK (BRU, VIE, WAW). FRA, MUC, ZRH served from both.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
AKL-LHR via SFO or LAX is 300-400 miles shorter than AKL-LHR via JFK. More “major” Star routes from SFO to Europe (eg, AMS, CDG, LHR) than from JFK (BRU, VIE, WAW). FRA, MUC, ZRH served from both.
Via YVR is shortest to LHR (going East) at 11767mi
Via NRT is shortest to LHR (going West) at 11446mi

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Oct 8, 2022 at 3:25 pm Reason: replaced ICN with NRT
Old Oct 8, 2022, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Thanks heaps.
I’m looking at early July, looks like 740pm arrival. 1130 seems doable.

of course via SIN might be more straight forward…decisions decisions.
You'll have to clear immigration and recheck your bags. At that hour, there are very few flights arriving.
Take the escalator upstairs and recheck your bags for Air France.

Don't even have to leave the terminal.

Though in terms of body recovery, Its better to fly east to west, following the sun always.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 6:50 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond

A number of carriers get a better pro-rate out of AS than they do out of their logical alliance partner; hence the AS option. Fiji has a fairly comprehensive arrangement with American but the AS options seem to show at a better rate. If domestic bookings are strong in the US there is little incentive for UA to offer NZ any discounted interline rates below their Star Alliance rate, and AS rates will always beat those.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 1:59 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by CHCflyer
A number of carriers get a better pro-rate out of AS than they do out of their logical alliance partner; hence the AS option. Fiji has a fairly comprehensive arrangement with American but the AS options seem to show at a better rate. If domestic bookings are strong in the US there is little incentive for UA to offer NZ any discounted interline rates below their Star Alliance rate, and AS rates will always beat those.
As someone who lives in the Seattle area, UA might as well be non-existent here. AS and Delta are really the only connection options if you want to fly NZ across the Pacific, with AS being the only code-share option. UA has all but abandoned Seattle, maintaining seemingly only the bare minimum routes to its main hubs.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 6:59 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by SeaProf
As someone who lives in the Seattle area, UA might as well be non-existent here. AS and Delta are really the only connection options if you want to fly NZ across the Pacific, with AS being the only code-share option. UA has all but abandoned Seattle, maintaining seemingly only the bare minimum routes to its main hubs.
Do you ever back and forth to NZ via AKL instead of SFO and LAX?
Old Oct 10, 2022, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Your Corp TA could have easily picked up NZ coded UA operated IAD-LAX segment, which would have solved the surcharge problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.