Search

JFK-AKL diversions begin.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2022, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Outbound24
I think you are getting mixed up between the Skycouch and the Skynest
It is getting ridiculous, isn't it? I mean NZ doesn't have an aircraft capable for this flight, and they are coming up with all sorts of gimmicks...
Old Oct 1, 2022, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
I will take the free 3-seater for 17 hours any day than the extra paid skycouch for 4 hours....although the former is risky that you can get it, and the latter is guaranteed, I admit.

I can still sleep with fasten middle seat belt in the 3-seater, although only when my back is on the backseat side...I have done it many many times, back when I was flying Y....
Sky couch is for the entire flight and is guaranteed as it is your allocated seat.
nk15 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 5:02 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite

Btw, did NZ came up with the SkyCouch product just because they couldn't fill the planes anyway due to the weight restrictions? I won't be surprised, lol...
Yeah nah. Air NZ launched the Skycouch in 2010.

I find it incredibly interesting that this whole JFK topic (across multiple threads now) seems to be full of people knocking Air NZ and most of them have clearly never even flown on the airline. It's quite fascinating because I've never seen this before here on FT in any Air NZ thread.
WindowSeatFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 5:04 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
It is getting ridiculous, isn't it? I mean NZ doesn't have an aircraft capable for this flight, and they are coming up with all sorts of gimmicks...
Air NZ have an aircraft that's perfectly capable of flying this route.Maybe you explain why they don't because I'm genuinely curious what you know that Air NZ don't.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 5:07 pm

It is getting ridiculous, isn't it? I mean NZ don't have an aircraft capable for this flight, and are coming up with all sorts of gimmicks...
Sky couch was on the 777 before the 789 was available. So is nothing to do with JFK flights.

Skynest has been in the works since before the the 2020 EWR was announced, They have been working on the new cabin concept for quite some time. Though only publicly announced last year.
nk15 and WindowSeatFlyer like this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Air NZ have an aircraft that's perfectly capable of flying this route.Maybe you explain why they don't because I'm genuinely curious what you know that Air NZ don't.
Insert some flat earth and some sleeping gas so everyone is asleep during the tech stop and the crew are paid off?
sbiddle and nk15 like this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Isn't anyone concerned that Skynest may become self aware and start WWIII? Or is it just me?
mad_atta, Ellice, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 6:38 pm

A new update to this route, effective 5 October all new tickets sold to New York in Economy will have a baggage limit of 1x23kg bag per person.

I think it's also the end of selling extra prepaid baggage on this route.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by henrus
A new update to this route, effective 5 October all new tickets sold to New York in Economy will have a baggage limit of 1x23kg bag per person.

Link? Just interested in wording around status etc
Old Oct 2, 2022, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by henrus

Is this just JFK-AKL or both ways?
Old Oct 2, 2022, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How long until they start weighing passengers...
Old Oct 2, 2022, 8:44 pm

How long until they start weighing passengers...
...well.

Speaking of this, I am curious how they do the calculations for MTOWs in estimating passenger weights. Regardless of fairness, I know for a fact a lot of the time myself and my luggage combined would be significantly lighter than most individual passengers in a cabin. Do they just assume that (conservatively) everybody in the cabin is 100 kg for example or do they use some creative mathematics/modelling?

What if you have a whole plane full of rugby players... surely they will be much heavier than a plane full of high school children on tour?
Beano likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by prelude
...well.

Speaking of this, I am curious how they do the calculations for MTOWs in estimating passenger weights. Regardless of fairness, I know for a fact a lot of the time myself and my luggage combined would be significantly lighter than most individual passengers in a cabin. Do they just assume that (conservatively) everybody in the cabin is 100 kg for example or do they use some creative mathematics/modelling?

What if you have a whole plane full of rugby players... surely they will be much heavier than a plane full of high school children on tour?
There are established planning figures for average pax weight+carry on etc. Likely to be conservative (high-side). We need a current flights ops planner to provide a contemporary explanation.
nk15 likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 11:03 pm

Every few years hear about AirNZ weighing people to form a new base line. They did this at check-in and the system is privacy preserving in that the the weight is not displayed on the machine.

When there are group bookings for sports teams or school groups this is taken into account. A few years back now a QF check-in agent thought they were being helpful and moved a school group to back of plane and didn't tell dispatch. They had issues taking off as plane was nose heavy. Had to move kids to middle of the plane during flight to get weight and balance back within limits.
prelude likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 3:11 am

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I find it incredibly interesting that this whole JFK topic (across multiple threads now) seems to be full of people knocking Air NZ and most of them have clearly never even flown on the airline. It's quite fascinating because I've never seen this before here on FT in any Air NZ thread.
I'm more than happy to knock NZ and I've flown them quite a bit. Which is why I knock them and try to avoid flying them since ~2005. They are one of my least favourite airlines. I'd even rather fly one of the mainline US carriers (Alaska) over NZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.