JFK-AKL diversions begin.

Old Sep 29, 2022, 6:59 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by OpenSky
They will need to offload people already as some flights around Christmas time / holidays have been sold out of months, some on all cabins, at the old number of 215
I suspect they'll also have a 'sinking lid' policy as well when it comes to any pax cancelling their trip
Old Sep 29, 2022, 7:23 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by codyc1515
How on earth is it more economically efficient to fly an entire A321 round trip to Fiji than to do a tech stop in Fiji? Maybe they incurred the cost to avoid the reputation damage so early on from the flights launch.
They flew a crew there so they *could* do a tech stop.

Without a new crew the plane wouldn't have been able to take off again.

This isn't anything new and has happened quite a few times before.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Lets give credit where credit is due. Since they capped this to 180 pax, the flight performance has improved.

What I have noticed though is NZ1 is still not consistently or close to consistently leaving JFK on time, with an average 1-2 hour delay, which in the evening in a very busy slot controlled airport is a problem.
NZ used to operate at LHR no? So I assume the crew knows the implications.

My guess is NZ still hasn't quite figured out the ground handling bugs yet.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 7:42 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by sbiddle
They flew a crew there so they *could* do a tech stop.

Without a new crew the plane wouldn't have been able to take off again.

This isn't anything new and has happened quite a few times before.
Not uncommon for a a320/321 to make an overnight dash to NAN with a fresh crew. If they know ahead of time that long-haul wide body is going to divert to NAN on its way to AKL. Often that have hours notice of it happening.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 7:59 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Not uncommon for a a320/321 to make an overnight dash to NAN with a fresh crew. If they know ahead of time that long-haul wide body is going to divert to NAN on its way to AKL. Often that have hours notice of it happening.
Plus they always have spare crew on 24 hour standby to cover events like this (as well as coverage for sickness etc).
Old Sep 30, 2022, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Since they aren't allowed to fill the planes, they should put mattress pads on the 3-seaters in the economy and sell them as economy beds, at a higher price.

Last edited by nk15; Sep 30, 2022 at 8:48 pm
Old Sep 30, 2022, 8:53 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by nk15
Since they aren't allowed to fill the planes, they should put mattress pads on the 3-seaters in the economy and sell them as economy beds, at a higher price.
That would undermine the sales of there SkyCouch product. Which converts 3x Y seats into a bed for two smallish people to share. The SkyCouch rows have leg rests that fold up to fill the gap between the rows, and they middle seat is blocked between the two pax travelling together.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
That would undermine the sales of there SkyCouch product. Which converts 3x Y seats into a bed for two smallish people to share. The SkyCouch rows have leg rests that fold up to fill the gap between the rows, and they middle seat is blocked between the two pax travelling together.
The sky couch rows also have leg rests that raise up.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LyingFlat
Plus they always have spare crew on 24 hour standby to cover events like this (as well as coverage for sickness etc).
I wonder if NZ will set up a New York base, assuming frequencies increase. There was a London base for a very long time.

Its too bad the plane doesn't continue to London, though the New York London market is very well served.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 1:16 pm

Sounds like this passenger was bumped as part of the seat reductions. Pretty disappointing to lose an extra day off of such a long trip. Did NZ make a mistake by launching with so many seat unblocked?

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/trave...-stopover.html
Old Oct 1, 2022, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well the seatblocking undermines the sky couch product anyway, because the empty 3-seaters are there (I assume) and they free, right?

Btw, did NZ came up with the SkyCouch product just because they couldn't fill the planes anyway due to the weight restrictions? I won't be surprised, lol...
Old Oct 1, 2022, 3:02 pm

Well the seatblocking undermines the sky couch product anyway, because the empty 3-seaters are there (I assume) and they free, right?

Btw, did NZ came up with the SkyCouch product just because they couldn't fill the planes anyway due to the weight restrictions? I won't be surprised, lol...
Sky couch has fold leg rest to increase space & belt to allow to sleep while seat belt sign on
Old Oct 1, 2022, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by OpenSky
I wonder if NZ will set up a New York base, assuming frequencies increase. There was a London base for a very long time.

Its too bad the plane doesn't continue to London, though the New York London market is very well served.
Does it make sense with JFK. Made sense on the direct flight as when cabin crew got to London they went home and not hotels & lowers overall trip duration (AKL to AKL). And is more complicated to get reserve crew to London.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nzkarit
Sky couch has fold leg rest to increase space & belt to allow to sleep while seat belt sign on
I will take the free 3-seater for 17 hours any day than the extra paid skycouch for 4 hours....although the former is risky that you can get it, and the latter is guaranteed, I admit.

I can still sleep with fasten middle seat belt in the 3-seater, although only when my back is on the backseat side...I have done it many many times, back when I was flying Y....
Old Oct 1, 2022, 4:50 pm

I will take the free 3-seater for 17 hours any day than the extra paid skycouch for 4 hours....although the former is risky that you can get it, and the latter is guaranteed, I admit.

I can still sleep with fasten middle seat belt in the 3-seater, although only when my back is on the backseat side...I have done it many many times, back when I was flying Y....
I think you are getting mixed up between the Skycouch and the Skynest

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.