Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Air New Zealand | Air Points

JFK-AKL diversions begin.

JFK-AKL diversions begin.

Old Sep 29, 22, 7:59 pm
  #46  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Auckland
Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Posts: 564
Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
They will need to offload people already as some flights around Christmas time / holidays have been sold out of months, some on all cabins, at the old number of 215
I suspect they'll also have a 'sinking lid' policy as well when it comes to any pax cancelling their trip
LyingFlat is offline  
Old Sep 29, 22, 8:23 pm
  #47  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 5,376
Originally Posted by codyc1515 View Post
How on earth is it more economically efficient to fly an entire A321 round trip to Fiji than to do a tech stop in Fiji? Maybe they incurred the cost to avoid the reputation damage so early on from the flights launch.
They flew a crew there so they *could* do a tech stop.

Without a new crew the plane wouldn't have been able to take off again.

This isn't anything new and has happened quite a few times before.
sbiddle is online now  
Old Sep 30, 22, 5:07 pm
  #48  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: ZRH/LUX/LON
Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Posts: 688
Lets give credit where credit is due. Since they capped this to 180 pax, the flight performance has improved.

What I have noticed though is NZ1 is still not consistently or close to consistently leaving JFK on time, with an average 1-2 hour delay, which in the evening in a very busy slot controlled airport is a problem.
NZ used to operate at LHR no? So I assume the crew knows the implications.

My guess is NZ still hasn't quite figured out the ground handling bugs yet.
OpenSky is offline  
Old Sep 30, 22, 8:42 pm
  #49  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Programs: NZ Koru
Posts: 6,239
Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
They flew a crew there so they *could* do a tech stop.

Without a new crew the plane wouldn't have been able to take off again.

This isn't anything new and has happened quite a few times before.
Not uncommon for a a320/321 to make an overnight dash to NAN with a fresh crew. If they know ahead of time that long-haul wide body is going to divert to NAN on its way to AKL. Often that have hours notice of it happening.
cavemanzk is offline  
Old Sep 30, 22, 8:59 pm
  #50  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Auckland
Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Posts: 564
Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post
Not uncommon for a a320/321 to make an overnight dash to NAN with a fresh crew. If they know ahead of time that long-haul wide body is going to divert to NAN on its way to AKL. Often that have hours notice of it happening.
Plus they always have spare crew on 24 hour standby to cover events like this (as well as coverage for sickness etc).
LyingFlat is offline  
Old Sep 30, 22, 9:42 pm
  #51  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Posts: 9,180
Since they aren't allowed to fill the planes, they should put mattress pads on the 3-seaters in the economy and sell them as economy beds, at a higher price.

Last edited by nk15; Sep 30, 22 at 9:48 pm
nk15 is offline  
Old Sep 30, 22, 9:53 pm
  #52  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Programs: NZ Koru
Posts: 6,239
Originally Posted by nk15 View Post
Since they aren't allowed to fill the planes, they should put mattress pads on the 3-seaters in the economy and sell them as economy beds, at a higher price.
That would undermine the sales of there SkyCouch product. Which converts 3x Y seats into a bed for two smallish people to share. The SkyCouch rows have leg rests that fold up to fill the gap between the rows, and they middle seat is blocked between the two pax travelling together.
cavemanzk is offline  
Old Oct 1, 22, 11:33 am
  #53  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: ZRH/LUX/LON
Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Posts: 688
Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post
That would undermine the sales of there SkyCouch product. Which converts 3x Y seats into a bed for two smallish people to share. The SkyCouch rows have leg rests that fold up to fill the gap between the rows, and they middle seat is blocked between the two pax travelling together.
The sky couch rows also have leg rests that raise up.
OpenSky is offline  
Old Oct 1, 22, 11:35 am
  #54  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: ZRH/LUX/LON
Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Posts: 688
Originally Posted by LyingFlat View Post
Plus they always have spare crew on 24 hour standby to cover events like this (as well as coverage for sickness etc).
I wonder if NZ will set up a New York base, assuming frequencies increase. There was a London base for a very long time.

Its too bad the plane doesn't continue to London, though the New York London market is very well served.
OpenSky is offline  
Old Oct 1, 22, 2:16 pm
  #55  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 707
Sounds like this passenger was bumped as part of the seat reductions. Pretty disappointing to lose an extra day off of such a long trip. Did NZ make a mistake by launching with so many seat unblocked?

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/trave...-stopover.html
codyc1515 is offline  
Old Oct 1, 22, 2:28 pm
  #56  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Posts: 9,180
Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post
That would undermine the sales of there SkyCouch product. Which converts 3x Y seats into a bed for two smallish people to share. The SkyCouch rows have leg rests that fold up to fill the gap between the rows, and they middle seat is blocked between the two pax travelling together.
Well the seatblocking undermines the sky couch product anyway, because the empty 3-seaters are there (I assume) and they free, right?

Btw, did NZ came up with the SkyCouch product just because they couldn't fill the planes anyway due to the weight restrictions? I won't be surprised, lol...
nk15 is offline  
Old Oct 1, 22, 4:02 pm
  #57  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,988
Originally Posted by nk15 View Post
Well the seatblocking undermines the sky couch product anyway, because the empty 3-seaters are there (I assume) and they free, right?

Btw, did NZ came up with the SkyCouch product just because they couldn't fill the planes anyway due to the weight restrictions? I won't be surprised, lol...
Sky couch has fold leg rest to increase space & belt to allow to sleep while seat belt sign on
nzkarit is online now  
Old Oct 1, 22, 4:27 pm
  #58  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,988
Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
I wonder if NZ will set up a New York base, assuming frequencies increase. There was a London base for a very long time.

Its too bad the plane doesn't continue to London, though the New York London market is very well served.
Does it make sense with JFK. Made sense on the direct flight as when cabin crew got to London they went home and not hotels & lowers overall trip duration (AKL to AKL). And is more complicated to get reserve crew to London.
nzkarit is online now  
Old Oct 1, 22, 5:18 pm
  #59  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Posts: 9,180
Originally Posted by nzkarit View Post
Sky couch has fold leg rest to increase space & belt to allow to sleep while seat belt sign on
I will take the free 3-seater for 17 hours any day than the extra paid skycouch for 4 hours....although the former is risky that you can get it, and the latter is guaranteed, I admit.

I can still sleep with fasten middle seat belt in the 3-seater, although only when my back is on the backseat side...I have done it many many times, back when I was flying Y....
nk15 is offline  
Old Oct 1, 22, 5:50 pm
  #60  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 49
Originally Posted by nk15 View Post
I will take the free 3-seater for 17 hours any day than the extra paid skycouch for 4 hours....although the former is risky that you can get it, and the latter is guaranteed, I admit.

I can still sleep with fasten middle seat belt in the 3-seater, although only when my back is on the backseat side...I have done it many many times, back when I was flying Y....
I think you are getting mixed up between the Skycouch and the Skynest
Outbound24 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread