Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-AKL diversions begin.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2022, 10:27 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
It also noted that these winds are unlike anything that had seen in their 12 months of predictive modeling, and that it is effecting other airlines as well.

I wonder what is causing this extreme wind?
Not bad offer, I’d probably take it if they were able to get me back via another port within a day or so.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Considering the Prime Minister was on yesterdays flight flying back from the UN, they are not about to divert the plane or offload bags.
wrp96, mediator and Peter Snijder like this.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by OpenSky
I wonder if the Houston or Chicago flights gave them this much trouble.
Can remember one Houston when they made a medical diversion to LAX and had to then do a crew swap in Nadi due to time. And they positioned a crew up on a A320 charter.

Is a bit closer but dispatch behind the scenes would have been earning their keep on these flights.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 4:44 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I wonder if the Houston or Chicago flights gave them this much trouble.
They are shorter so no, I doubt they did?
Old Sep 26, 2022, 2:25 am

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by ezefllying
Is this such a huge problem? So long as people don't have to deplane, a fuel stop shouldn't be that much of a business issue—especially given the lack of appealing alternatives for NYC-AKL travelers. "Fine, it's a direct flight with a 45-minute stop on the way. What you gonna do about it?"
45 minutes? Nothing happens in Fiji in 45 minutes. And certainly not when NZ is involved. 90 - 120 minutes might be more expected. And then you've got the interesting wrinkle of crews timing out maybe coming into play.

I might even start marketing it as a direct flight with a super-convenient seventh-inning stretch on the Nadi tarmac.
You really haven't ever been to Fiji, have you?
jawnbc likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Looks like there is potentially a stop sell in place on all flights from the US until the 1st Nov.

Zero seats on NZ metal from SFO, LAX, IAH, ORD and JFK until that date.

I know school holidays are coming up so flights are chokka for the first couple of weeks but this seems rather strange. I wonder if there are plans to cut loadings even further?
codyc1515 likes this.

Last edited by sbiddle; Sep 26, 2022 at 1:03 pm
Old Sep 26, 2022, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Looks like there is potentially a stop sell in place on all flights from the US until the 1st Nov.

Zero seats on NZ metal from SFO, LAX, IAH, ORD and JFK until that date.

I know school holidays are coming up so flights are chokka for the first couple of weeks but this seems rather strange. I wonder if there are plans to cut loadings even further?
Stuff is reporting that JFK-AKL is now being capped at 185 seats. I suppose if they have sold more than that already they will need to protect some passengers out of their other US ports.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by Top of climb
Stuff is reporting that JFK-AKL is now being capped at 185 seats. I suppose if they have sold more than that already they will need to protect some passengers out of their other US ports.
And hopefully that should solve the problem. The ticket prices are so high already, they will probably need to charge more to make up the difference. Sell more skynests!
Old Sep 27, 2022, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

stuff.co.nz -->Air New Zealand's New York woes deepen with ghost flight revealed
It’s last Friday afternoon and Auckland Airport is busy with packed planes taking off for the long weekend – as part of a public holiday to mark the Queen’s death.

However, there was one Air New Zealand flight that was unusually quick down the runway – taking off earlier than it normally would. That’s because it had no commercial passengers on board. The A321 – with 214 seats – did a quick left hand turn over Flatbush then headed straight for Fiji. It was all part of a plan to avoid a plane full of passengers coming from New York being stranded on a tropical island. Sounds idyllic? Well, it wasn’t for the airline, which has had a nightmare start to its new flagship route.
<snip>
Old Sep 27, 2022, 2:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
And hopefully that should solve the problem. The ticket prices are so high already, they will probably need to charge more to make up the difference. Sell more skynests!
That will not translate to a profitable flight and in the Year 2022 very few airlines fly prestige routes any longer without a return on their investment. Predict a tech stop will be added. And will be marketed as "direct".
Old Sep 27, 2022, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
That will not translate to a profitable flight and in the Year 2022 very few airlines fly prestige routes any longer without a return on their investment. Predict a tech stop will be added. And will be marketed as "direct".
Though they have the interesting pressure from QF flying AKL-JFK from next year. And most people will see 789 and not understand subtle difference of engine type and cabin config as to why QF can do it better than NZ.

Need the v3 cabins and some GE engines sooner rather than later. Wonder if any white tails and/or lease aircraft sitting in a desert.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
How on earth is it more economically efficient to fly an entire A321 round trip to Fiji than to do a tech stop in Fiji? Maybe they incurred the cost to avoid the reputation damage so early on from the flights launch.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 2:03 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by codyc1515
How on earth is it more economically efficient to fly an entire A321 round trip to Fiji than to do a tech stop in Fiji? Maybe they incurred the cost to avoid the reputation damage so early on from the flights launch.
Crew
Old Sep 29, 2022, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by codyc1515
It is my understanding that the A321 flew a new 787 crew to NAN to make sure the tech stop at NAN would be a quick stop before continuing to AKL instead of forcing everyone to overnight at NAN because the current crew timed out.
The A321 was part of the tech stop planning, not a replacement for it.
A long stop at NAN would have screwed up the scheduling for the later flights planned to use that aircraft, while a quick tech stop would allow the aircraft to continue to AKL and be used for later flights. I suspect the financial impact of having the aircraft stuck at NAN for many hours would be larger than the cost of flying the new crew to NAN.

Last edited by Peter Snijder; Sep 29, 2022 at 2:13 pm
Old Sep 29, 2022, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

The point is they have it down to 180 pax on the plane on the ride back.

I just hope that as Northern Winter winds prevail, that number will be enough.

They will need to offload people already as some flights around Christmas time / holidays have been sold out of months, some on all cabins, at the old number of 215

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.