Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Air New Zealand | Air Points

JFK-AKL diversions begin.

JFK-AKL diversions begin.

Old Sep 23, 22, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer View Post
The NZ Herald article had the Air NZ staff mentioning the weather situation is high unusual and very unlikely to occur.

It's horrible timing given they have just launched it, but weather is a potential disruption for any flight.

I think diverting to Fiji is much better than their previous plan of leaving 60 bags behind!
Though think I read they had to do a crew swap. As seeing they landed and/or the extra stop over time they timed out.
Old Sep 23, 22, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by ezefllying View Post
Is this such a huge problem? So long as people don't have to deplane, a fuel stop shouldn't be that much of a business issueespecially given the lack of appealing alternatives for NYC-AKL travelers. "Fine, it's a direct flight with a 45-minute stop on the way. What you gonna do about it?"

I might even start marketing it as a direct flight with a super-convenient seventh-inning stretch on the Nadi tarmac.
Its sold and marketed as a non stop flight and priced as such
wrp96 and codyc1515 like this.
Old Sep 23, 22, 6:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
Its sold and marketed as a non stop flight and priced as such
Can a nonstop flight have a technical stop (for fuel)?
Old Sep 23, 22, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Can a nonstop flight have a technical stop (for fuel)?
Credit where credit is due, the plane continues to AKL, diversion cancelled.

So it looks like the service can operate.
Old Sep 23, 22, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President’s Circle, National EE
ANZ1 is currently diverting to NAN.
source: flightradar24
Old Sep 23, 22, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

If you look carefully, the diversion cancelled - plane continuing to AKL, with an 18 hour flight time, right at the edge of operating limits.
engel001 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 22, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AA EXP, UA Silver, AC 75K. Marriott LTT, HH Diamond (Aspire)
Not really sure how that works, ages ago I flew LAX-SYD and I chatted with the captain who told me that based on the weather they didn't have enough fuel reserves to file LAX-SYD - so they would file to Fiji and then refile in the air to SYD since the excess fuel requirements will be less filing from there to SYD
Old Sep 23, 22, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by flying_geek View Post
Not really sure how that works, ages ago I flew LAX-SYD and I chatted with the captain who told me that based on the weather they didn't have enough fuel reserves to file LAX-SYD - so they would file to Fiji and then refile in the air to SYD since the excess fuel requirements will be less filing from there to SYD
I think that works as they can refile with actual burn numbers. 10h later also have a better idea where weather actually is as the cone of uncertainty is far smaller.

Remember QF semi regularly having their Dallas and their South America flights stop off for a splash and dash.

And that is after running the flights for years. It looks bad now as so few flights this far. But I assume fuel stops will tend to less than 1% once have a enough samples to do statistics on.
mad_atta and trooper like this.
Old Sep 23, 22, 2:18 pm

Programs: Airpoints, HHONORS GOLD VIP, Aclub Gold
Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
If you look carefully, the diversion cancelled - plane continuing to AKL, with an 18 hour flight time, right at the edge of operating limits.
What makes this even more of an amateur circus is that it's just about turned and heading back towards Nandi .. seriously, this is terrible.
Old Sep 23, 22, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
I wonder how much fuel they wasted roaming JFK with the delays.
Old Sep 23, 22, 3:03 pm

Programs: Airpoints, HHONORS GOLD VIP, Aclub Gold
Originally Posted by QTFLYER View Post
What makes this even more of an amateur circus is that it's just about turned and heading back towards Nandi .. seriously, this is terrible.
Based on Flight Radar 24, the look of a turn back towards Nadi may be an anomaly and they are heading to Auckland.
Old Sep 23, 22, 10:38 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by QTFLYER View Post
No they didn't. It was just FR24 screwed up because they thought the plane was going to NAN.
Old Sep 24, 22, 11:30 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Media reporting they asked for 20 volunteers to be offloaded this afternoon to get back. USD$1500 + accommodation costs.
Old Sep 25, 22, 2:10 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
It also noted that these winds are unlike anything that had seen in their 12 months of predictive modeling, and that it is effecting other airlines as well.

I wonder what is causing this extreme wind?
Old Sep 25, 22, 10:31 am
Original Poster

I wonder if the Houston or Chicago flights gave them this much trouble.

Search this Thread