Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-AKL diversions begin.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2023, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
I was on the Dec 24 flight that didn't leave until Dec 25 because of bad weather. Similar type situation. It was handled in the same way. But we left the next day

The ground staff are actually amazing - the station manager for Air NZ at JFK used to work for Lufthansa Group. I recognized her from my years as a former HON Circle and she's a lovely and very competent individual.

NZ 1 must use the long departure runway to get of the ground, on the account on the weight so when that airspace or runway is closed, its a problem.

Air NZ could improve on the situation vastly if the did the following

- JFK Terminal 1 is a POS relic that is due for the wrecking ball soon. A lot of the infrastructure does not work because it's old and in disrepair. The passenger experience would be vastly superior if a move to the more modern JFK T4 or even the much more idealic and smaller JFK T7 ( also due for demolition)
- The terminal itself is a helll hole with security and poor signage

Personally if you are planning a cruise or hike, a lot two days at your next destination to account for trouble. 1 day is not enough. The extra day padding i had allowed me to be at my next destination on time.

Qantas will be operating this route soon, competition from the aussies awaits.

Last edited by OpenSky; Jan 24, 2023 at 2:57 pm
Old Jan 24, 2023, 9:52 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by taupo

Air NZ's solution would be to have a back up crew close to each international departure point. We all know that is logistically and financially impossible, so we need to be patient and tolerant when things go sideways.
"If you have time to spare, go by air"
Air NZ does have a spare crew in NYC - the flight is 3x weekly and crew get a very long rest (6 nights from memory) and are required to be on call for the departure of the flight before their one so it'd be interesting to know why they didn't use them.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by OpenSky
I was on the Dec 24 flight that didn't leave until Dec 25 because of bad weather. Similar type situation. It was handled in the same way. But we left the next day

The ground staff are actually amazing - the station manager for Air NZ at JFK used to work for Lufthansa Group. I recognized her from my years as a former HON Circle and she's a lovely and very competent individual.
I had assumed the station manager was away on holiday on Dec 24, given how poorly the delay on 24 Dec was handled.

Half an hour after scheduled departure the screens at the gate simply read 'Checkin closed'. Passengers found out about the delay from the flight status online. Communication was exceptionally poor.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 1:23 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I'm surprised nobody has jumped on the "oh it's diverting to Nadi again" bandwagon.

​​​​​​NZ1 diverting there tonight to pick up pax stuck there.
jeffrocowboy and LyingFlat like this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Is this related to the airport flooding?

I booked JFK-AKL on Qantas for later this year.Will help my BA account
Old Feb 1, 2023, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On AFF has been posted that prior to JFK departure was announced would be landing at NAN to pick up some stranded pax.
With very full fights very little spare capacity on scheduled flights.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 1:03 pm

I hope you booked the highest fare class possible...
samyoull and raznz like this.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 11:01 am

JFK power outage and NZ2 is turning around and heading back to AKL by the

Old Feb 16, 2023, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit
JFK power outage and NZ2 is turning around and heading back to AKL
That has gotta be one of the longest return to origin diversions I've ever seen.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 1:26 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by prelude
That has gotta be one of the longest return to origin diversions I've ever seen.
Emirates turned around their DXB-AKL flight a few weeks ago when the runway shut - 13.5hr trip back to the same port.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nzkarit
JFK power outage and NZ2 is turning around and heading back to AKL by the..
Little surprised they did not divert to LAX, SFO or IAH (served by NZ)
A map from the Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper
wrp96 likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 16, 2023 at 2:03 pm Reason: added RAR to map
Old Feb 16, 2023, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Rebound
Emirates turned around their DXB-AKL flight a few weeks ago when the runway shut - 13.5hr trip back to the same port.
This one looks likely to rack up close 16 hours on total. I wonder where the point of no return would've been. I'd imagine somewhere over continental USA?
Old Feb 16, 2023, 2:01 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
This one looks likely to rack up close 16 hours on total. I wonder where the point of no return would've been. I'd imagine somewhere over continental USA?
I would imagine diverting to HNL maybe was an option otherwise if not Auckland RAR?
Old Feb 16, 2023, 2:06 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Reading the paper today apparently it will be easier to recover the disruption by returning to AKL rather than diverting to another airport.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rebound
I would imagine diverting to HNL maybe was an option otherwise if not Auckland RAR?
To continental USA would allow pax to be transferred to their final destinations by other airlines. But getting the aircraft & crew back in position for the next rotation an issue. RAR, NAN & HNL would just be splash & dash.

A map from the Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper
From looking at other flights they do not always fly the great circle route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.