Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-AKL diversions begin.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2022, 9:14 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by OpenSky
Tonights flight looks like a divert again to Nadi. Madness!!

The next few days, will be interesting, because the flights sold out before Air NZ decided to hold back on the 100 seats on flights going westward. I believe the old figure was holding back 80 seats, which clearly is not light enough to transport everyone direct without a stop.
Flight plan will be lodged for NAN and providing they approach a point before there and still have sufficient fuel they will continue to AKL. This has happened multiple times so far and there is certainly every chance that this flight will continue onto AKL just like has on the other 40+ flights

I genuinely am fascinated by the fact that you seem to be obsessed by this flight and seem to want it to genuinely be a failure (which it's not). Why?
Mwenenzi, bce1, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Cool

I'm just your average friendly av geek across the tasman, without much of a life.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 10:37 am

And once again the flight is continuing on to Auckland and not diverting to NAN.

Move along folks nothing to see here...
Mwenenzi, wrp96 and LyingFlat like this.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 10:09 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Gee I dunno. If we use each passenger as an unique data point, that's 150x per flight since it launched. So thousands in the sample and plenty of prospective power for a regression model to be developed.

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
We can probably park this discussion for a statistically significant period of time (1 year?) and then see how things have gone ...
Old Dec 18, 2022, 10:10 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Gee I dunno. If we use each passenger as an unique data point, that's 150x per flight since it launched. So thousands in the sample and plenty of prospective power for a regression model to be developed.

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
We can probably park this discussion for a statistically significant period of time (1 year?) and then see how things have gone ...
Old Dec 19, 2022, 1:08 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Having spent 16+ hours up front on the ORD-AKL route twice now, I can confidently say I will not be using these ultra-long haul services. 12 hours is about the maximum for me. A chance to stretch my legs, get some fresh air and perhaps even a shower. There is only so much eating, sleeping, watching you can do on a single flight.
Thai-Kiwi and Outbound24 like this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by CHCflyer
Having spent 16+ hours up front on the ORD-AKL route twice now, I can confidently say I will not be using these ultra-long haul services. 12 hours is about the maximum for me. A chance to stretch my legs, get some fresh air and perhaps even a shower. There is only so much eating, sleeping, watching you can do on a single flight.

Not having to stop at LAX is helpful. I personally would not do this flight in Economy thats for sure, unless it's a sky couch. I've done LAX to DXB - thats a long flight - 16 hours, an even in business class I was pretty wiped out. But that was on an A380, I am confident the 787 is much more comfortable

So it seems that in order to comply with regulations the Air NZ is filing a flight plan with the diversion, later changed. Hmm. Encouraging. Well see.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 1:17 am

I loved ORD-AKL the only thing that was annoying for me was the stupid timing of the breakfast service so far out from landing. I don't know if timing has changed at all but waking up 4 1/2 hours out and then having the service completed and lights turned off again with 3 hours to fly still and beds all packed up was less than ideal. I know they did this to allow for crew rest breaks but it just ends up being very annoying for customers.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 1:22 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I loved ORD-AKL the only thing that was annoying for me was the stupid timing of the breakfast service so far out from landing. I don't know if timing has changed at all but waking up 4 1/2 hours out and then having the service completed and lights turned off again with 3 hours to fly still and beds all packed up was less than ideal. I know they did this to allow for crew rest breaks but it just ends up being very annoying for customers.
That is part of the problem - they treat ORD like a LAX flight - same food, timings, menu etc but five hours longer! That last five hours kills me. I'd rather stretch my legs doing the airside walk from the US terminal to TBIT.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 2:56 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
rather have that 3 hours of awkwardness than fly UA any more than absolutely necessary
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 5:10 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
That is part of the problem - they treat ORD like a LAX flight - same food, timings, menu etc but five hours longer! That last five hours kills me. I'd rather stretch my legs doing the airside walk from the US terminal to TBIT.
This was not the case for us, from memory breakfast was served 2 hours before landing or maybe 2.5 hours.

Again being NZ based, I will do anything to stay on a direct flight rather than the messy US connection. Coming back from a conference nearly every second person had a delay in the US domestic leg before the connection back to the pacific (QF flyers).

**This is much easier to handle when at the front of the bus, the FSM mentioned our extended ORD-AKL 17.5 hour trip was causing much restlessness in the back.
Transpacificflyer likes this.

Last edited by JANZFlyer; Dec 20, 2022 at 5:11 pm Reason: class of travel
Old Dec 25, 2022, 1:00 am

Does anyone know why NZ1 today (25 Dec) was delayed by 24 hours (some may use the C word - Cancelled)?
Old Dec 25, 2022, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by everywhere
Does anyone know why NZ1 today (25 Dec) was delayed by 24 hours (some may use the C word - Cancelled)?
Would guess the weather? Thousands of flights have been cancelled each day for the last couple of days.
Old Dec 25, 2022, 2:12 am

I got told earlier it was weather related.

Maybe the crew simply wanted to simply spend Xmas Day in NYC? 🤣
Old Dec 25, 2022, 2:18 am

Will be interesting to see if the Wamos plane gives them enough spare capacity to not have knock on effects on other flights, having a plane stuck in JFK for an extra day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.