Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-AKL diversions begin.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2022, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by codyc1515
Carriers COC cannot override legislation. They can write whatever they want in there, it doesn't make it enforceable.
But what legislation would cover making a diversion for a tech stop?
Old Oct 26, 2022, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by nzkarit
But what legislation would cover making a diversion for a tech stop?
The answer in these cases is always "it depends". Being that it'd likely be owing to weather, there would almost certainly be no liability on the airlines part. IANAL.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Air New Zealand Boeing 787-9 From New York to Auckland Narrowly Avoids Stop For Fuel In Fiji (msn.com)
Albeit the diversion was avoided this time, it still highlights a more significantly prolonging issue of how the Boeing 787-9 might not be the most suitable aircraft for the long-haul route. Unfortunately, it is the aircraft with the most extended range within the fleet of Air New Zealand.

While on paper and in still air, the aircraft should be able to complete the route without issues until strong headwinds and other potential weather issues come along. The long-term endurance of these problems on the long-haul flight also tends to push the aircraft to the near-upper limits of its flight envelope.

The high possibilities of refueling stopovers tend to cast much doubt on the supposed 'non-stop' route. When factoring in how there is already a cap of 180 passengers, it does not look as promising for Air New Zealand. However, the Star Alliance member airline hopes the situation will be less of a hassle in a couple of years when it takes delivery of the Boeing 787-HGW.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 1:07 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Bit of a clickbait story as is the case with most simpleflying content which is simply ripped from other media.

There is no official word that Air NZ will get a HGW -9 in 2024 or whether a HGW -9 will ever actually exist. Even then the HGW -9 isn't going go have any additional fuel capacity compared to the existing -9
Old Oct 27, 2022, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
I'm surprised this thread is still going. Point is, as we move to the northern winter, the winds will get stronger - and on some days especially over Dec and January NZ 1 is already sold out months ago, at the old count of pax.

I also want to applaud Air NZ that a diversion to Nadi has not happened, yet.
codyc1515 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by OpenSky
I also want to applaud Air NZ that a diversion to Nadi has not happened, yet.
Not to mention the excitement, living on the edge...
Old Oct 28, 2022, 5:24 am

Programs: NZ*E
Well, it’s happening, diverging to NAN departing JFK on 27 Oct

Last edited by mmonster; Oct 28, 2022 at 5:40 am
Old Oct 28, 2022, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Landed ~4hr late?. Reports from pax will be interesting
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ANZ1
https://www.auckland-airport.net/akl-flight-arrival/NZ1

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 28, 2022 at 4:52 pm
Old Oct 28, 2022, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
I would be livid . Presumably the pax with connections would need to be accommodated
Old Oct 28, 2022, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by OpenSky
I would be livid . Presumably the pax with connections would need to be accommodated
Yeah that is why Domestic connections under the hood at Flexi so can easily change to earlier or later flight on mass.

Knowing people who have been on medical diversions there has been info at the end of jet bridge about what to do & what flights moved on to. Like for WLG or CHC I think said moved from this flights to X flight just go to domestic checkin to get new boarding pass.

As to be livid, why diversions happen everyday for many reasons. If diversion are that bad may be air travel isn't for you. The DFW-SYD flight would semi regularly stop for fuel.

The west bound PER-LHR most probably easier as the last portion of the flight is over land and not under ETOPS.
JANZFlyer and sbiddle like this.

Last edited by nzkarit; Oct 28, 2022 at 5:40 pm
Old Oct 28, 2022, 6:55 pm

I've had multiple inbound flights from the US that have ended up being late over the years. In every case crew have gone around the plane letting people know their new flight numbers that they've been put into.

In the case of today's flight you're only going to have a small number of domestic connections anyway. It would really only be annoying for Oz based pax but that's the nature of air travel.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 1:47 am

The most recent QF9 PER-LHR (29/10) had a flight time of 17hr50 and total block time of almost 18 and a half hours. Those GE engines must make a bit of difference as I'm sure Qantas' 787 weight restrictions aren't as severe as Air New Zealand's? Are the fuel policies different with each of these carriers too?
Old Oct 29, 2022, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by Jono789
The most recent QF9 PER-LHR (29/10) had a flight time of 17hr50 and total block time of almost 18 and a half hours. Those GE engines must make a bit of difference as I'm sure Qantas' 787 weight restrictions aren't as severe as Air New Zealand's? Are the fuel policies different with each of these carriers too?
Also remember JFK-AKL ends under ETOPS. While PER-LHR only the start is under ETOPS.

With JFK when equal time between AKL and Nadi plane needs to fly at 10000feet with one engine. Which is a lot of fuel to have when go past Nadi. Though while over there are plenty of places to land.
Jono789 likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 2:09 am

People all keep looking solely at distances and/or flight times and don't factor in the trade winds. In the Pacific in particular these are completely different to a PER to LHR flight.
djsflynn likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by sbiddle
People all keep looking solely at distances and/or flight times and don't factor in the trade winds. In the Pacific in particular these are completely different to a PER to LHR flight.
https://www.weather.gov/jetstream/enso_patterns

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.