Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Air New Zealand | Air Points

Will NZ have BP/PY only planes for ultra long haul?

Will NZ have BP/PY only planes for ultra long haul?

Old Sep 20, 22, 12:44 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2003
Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AC E50, Westjet Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Posts: 5,633
Will NZ have BP/PY only planes for ultra long haul?

Given the reduced pax/baggage capacity for AKL-JFK-AKL and the premium nature of the market, will NZ introduce a seating plan similar to SQs for these ultra long hauls?
https://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/p...50-900-ULR.pdf

Last edited by taupo; Sep 20, 22 at 12:44 pm Reason: Spelling
taupo is offline  
Old Sep 20, 22, 12:48 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 5,377
No.

Seat plan for the "code 3" 789 when they arrive has been released, as has the plan for the 789 refurb.
sbiddle is offline  
Old Sep 20, 22, 1:59 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,989
Remember that QF with PER-LHR is a longer in distance flight and is using at 789 with Y.

I'm guessing the new seats will be lighter. And Code3 if I recall correctly has more J and Prem Y.
nzkarit is offline  
Old Sep 20, 22, 2:17 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Programs: NZ Koru
Posts: 6,239
Originally Posted by nzkarit View Post
Remember that QF with PER-LHR is a longer in distance flight and is using at 789 with Y.

I'm guessing the new seats will be lighter. And Code3 if I recall correctly has more J and Prem Y.
Yes the new Code 3 config, only has a single cabin of Y behind 3L/R.

From memory the total seat count on the new config from 2024 is only around 200.
cavemanzk is offline  
Old Sep 20, 22, 2:25 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2003
Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AC E50, Westjet Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Posts: 5,633
Does anyone have a link to the Code 3 seating?
A Google search of Air New Zealand 787 Code 3 seating was not useful
taupo is offline  
Old Sep 20, 22, 3:51 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,316
787-9 Code 3 seating below: (note there will be two rows of BP Luxe, each at the front of the two BP cabins).


djsflynn is offline  
Old Sep 20, 22, 6:00 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2003
Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AC E50, Westjet Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Posts: 5,633
Originally Posted by djsflynn View Post
787-9 Code 3 seating below: (note there will be two rows of BP Luxe, each at the front of the two BP cabins).


Thank you
taupo is offline  
Old Sep 20, 22, 6:06 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Programs: Air NZ Airpoints, Qantas FF
Posts: 40
Originally Posted by taupo View Post
Given the reduced pax/baggage capacity for AKL-JFK-AKL and the premium nature of the market, will NZ introduce a seating plan similar to SQs for these ultra long hauls?
https://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/p...50-900-ULR.pdf
It's unlikely, given culturally and financially even the senior leadership team from major listed companies in New Zealand travel on Y for international work-related travels. I really don't know anyone in NZ could travel on BP/PY for work purposes.
nzworldtraveller1 is offline  
Old Sep 21, 22, 4:22 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: WLG
Programs: NZ Elite *G, Accor+ Diamond
Posts: 146
Originally Posted by nzworldtraveller1 View Post
I really don't know anyone in NZ could travel on BP/PY for work purposes.
Leisure Class
Beckett66 is offline  
Old Sep 22, 22, 12:25 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: AKL
Programs: NZ Elite, QF Plat, DL PM
Posts: 1,682
Originally Posted by nzworldtraveller1 View Post
It's unlikely, given culturally and financially even the senior leadership team from major listed companies in New Zealand travel on Y for international work-related travels. I really don't know anyone in NZ could travel on BP/PY for work purposes.
What sort of generalisation is that? There are some companies that do Y only - small through large, but there are more that offer Business or Premium Economy travel policies than purely Y only.
bce1 and djsflynn like this.
NZ_Flyer is offline  
Old Sep 23, 22, 3:34 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: WLG/BKK
Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Posts: 8,494
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer View Post
What sort of generalisation is that? There are some companies that do Y only - small through large, but there are more that offer Business or Premium Economy travel policies than purely Y only.
Can you share any research that supports this statement?
Thai-Kiwi is offline  
Old Sep 23, 22, 3:42 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Auckland
Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Posts: 564
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post
Can you share any research that supports this statement?
Whilst there's probably little peer-reviewed research, I can say with very very high level of confidence that many large companies have policies that allow for F/J/PE travel. A lot of it comes down to whether travel is billable or not, the seniority of the traveller, flight duration, origin/desitination of the trip, and trip purpose.

Also, there are a lot of high earning SMEs where the owner(s) travel business/first because why not? They've worked hard all their life and have built their business to the point where flying in the pointy end is a non-starter. I personally know several owner-operated SMEs where the owner travels up the front.
Beano, codyc1515 and djsflynn like this.
LyingFlat is offline  
Old Sep 27, 22, 1:16 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,316
Originally Posted by LyingFlat View Post
Whilst there's probably little peer-reviewed research, I can say with very very high level of confidence that many large companies have policies that allow for F/J/PE travel. A lot of it comes down to whether travel is billable or not, the seniority of the traveller, flight duration, origin/desitination of the trip, and trip purpose.
Also, there are a lot of high earning SMEs where the owner(s) travel business/first because why not? They've worked hard all their life and have built their business to the point where flying in the pointy end is a non-starter. I personally know several owner-operated SMEs where the owner travels up the front.
+100 for all this. And anecdotally, based on travellers I chat with plus my own travel habits as a former tech journalist when tech companies fly media to events, plenty of company travel policies stipulate business class, although there are several instances where on international flights under 8 hours, premium economy will be decreed instead of business.
djsflynn is offline  
Old Sep 27, 22, 1:24 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Auckland
Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Posts: 564
Originally Posted by djsflynn View Post
+100 for all this. And anecdotally, based on travellers I chat with plus my own travel habits as a former tech journalist when tech companies fly media to events, plenty of company travel policies stipulate business class, although there are several instances where on international flights under 8 hours, premium economy will be decreed instead of business.
Yes, especially some multi-nationals with offices here in NZ. Often there is no localised travel policy; instead being a global travel policy.

Quite often with multi-nationals their T&E policy can be 100+ pages with the flight policy alone making up a good 8-12 pages of that. Flight policies can get extremely complex. I know of one global bank with an NZ presence which essentially assigns a 'tier' to each employee and then has a separate class-of-travel policy for each tier.
djsflynn likes this.
LyingFlat is offline  
Old Sep 27, 22, 10:16 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: WLG/BKK
Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Posts: 8,494
I feel sad; CE biz, DCE PE, all others Y.
samyoull likes this.
Thai-Kiwi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread