Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Air New Zealand | Air Points

Will NZ have BP/PY only planes for ultra long haul?

Old Sep 20, 22, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AC E50, Westjet Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry

Given the reduced pax/baggage capacity for AKL-JFK-AKL and the premium nature of the market, will NZ introduce a seating plan similar to SQs for these ultra long hauls?
https://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/p...50-900-ULR.pdf

Last edited by taupo; Sep 20, 22 at 12:44 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Sep 20, 22, 12:48 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
No.

Seat plan for the "code 3" 789 when they arrive has been released, as has the plan for the 789 refurb.
Old Sep 20, 22, 1:59 pm

Remember that QF with PER-LHR is a longer in distance flight and is using at 789 with Y.

I'm guessing the new seats will be lighter. And Code3 if I recall correctly has more J and Prem Y.
Old Sep 20, 22, 2:17 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by nzkarit View Post
Remember that QF with PER-LHR is a longer in distance flight and is using at 789 with Y.

I'm guessing the new seats will be lighter. And Code3 if I recall correctly has more J and Prem Y.
Yes the new Code 3 config, only has a single cabin of Y behind 3L/R.

From memory the total seat count on the new config from 2024 is only around 200.
Old Sep 20, 22, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AC E50, Westjet Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Does anyone have a link to the Code 3 seating?
A Google search of Air New Zealand 787 Code 3 seating was not useful
Old Sep 20, 22, 3:51 pm

787-9 Code 3 seating below: (note there will be two rows of BP Luxe, each at the front of the two BP cabins).

Old Sep 20, 22, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djsflynn View Post
787-9 Code 3 seating below: (note there will be two rows of BP Luxe, each at the front of the two BP cabins).

Thank you
Old Sep 20, 22, 6:06 pm

Programs: Air NZ Airpoints, Qantas FF
Originally Posted by taupo View Post
Given the reduced pax/baggage capacity for AKL-JFK-AKL and the premium nature of the market, will NZ introduce a seating plan similar to SQs for these ultra long hauls?
https://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/p...50-900-ULR.pdf
It's unlikely, given culturally and financially even the senior leadership team from major listed companies in New Zealand travel on Y for international work-related travels. I really don't know anyone in NZ could travel on BP/PY for work purposes.
Old Sep 21, 22, 4:22 am

Programs: NZ Elite *G, Accor+ Diamond
Originally Posted by nzworldtraveller1 View Post
I really don't know anyone in NZ could travel on BP/PY for work purposes.
Leisure Class
Old Sep 22, 22, 12:25 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Plat, DL PM
Originally Posted by nzworldtraveller1 View Post
It's unlikely, given culturally and financially even the senior leadership team from major listed companies in New Zealand travel on Y for international work-related travels. I really don't know anyone in NZ could travel on BP/PY for work purposes.
What sort of generalisation is that? There are some companies that do Y only - small through large, but there are more that offer Business or Premium Economy travel policies than purely Y only.
bce1 and djsflynn like this.
Old Sep 23, 22, 3:34 am

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer View Post
What sort of generalisation is that? There are some companies that do Y only - small through large, but there are more that offer Business or Premium Economy travel policies than purely Y only.
Can you share any research that supports this statement?
Old Sep 23, 22, 3:42 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post
Can you share any research that supports this statement?
Whilst there's probably little peer-reviewed research, I can say with very very high level of confidence that many large companies have policies that allow for F/J/PE travel. A lot of it comes down to whether travel is billable or not, the seniority of the traveller, flight duration, origin/desitination of the trip, and trip purpose.

Also, there are a lot of high earning SMEs where the owner(s) travel business/first because why not? They've worked hard all their life and have built their business to the point where flying in the pointy end is a non-starter. I personally know several owner-operated SMEs where the owner travels up the front.
Beano, codyc1515 and djsflynn like this.
Old Sep 27, 22, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by LyingFlat View Post
Whilst there's probably little peer-reviewed research, I can say with very very high level of confidence that many large companies have policies that allow for F/J/PE travel. A lot of it comes down to whether travel is billable or not, the seniority of the traveller, flight duration, origin/desitination of the trip, and trip purpose.
Also, there are a lot of high earning SMEs where the owner(s) travel business/first because why not? They've worked hard all their life and have built their business to the point where flying in the pointy end is a non-starter. I personally know several owner-operated SMEs where the owner travels up the front.
+100 for all this. And anecdotally, based on travellers I chat with plus my own travel habits as a former tech journalist when tech companies fly media to events, plenty of company travel policies stipulate business class, although there are several instances where on international flights under 8 hours, premium economy will be decreed instead of business.
Old Sep 27, 22, 1:24 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by djsflynn View Post
+100 for all this. And anecdotally, based on travellers I chat with plus my own travel habits as a former tech journalist when tech companies fly media to events, plenty of company travel policies stipulate business class, although there are several instances where on international flights under 8 hours, premium economy will be decreed instead of business.
Yes, especially some multi-nationals with offices here in NZ. Often there is no localised travel policy; instead being a global travel policy.

Quite often with multi-nationals their T&E policy can be 100+ pages with the flight policy alone making up a good 8-12 pages of that. Flight policies can get extremely complex. I know of one global bank with an NZ presence which essentially assigns a 'tier' to each employee and then has a separate class-of-travel policy for each tier.
djsflynn likes this.
Old Sep 27, 22, 10:16 pm

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I feel sad; CE biz, DCE PE, all others Y.
samyoull likes this.

Search this Thread