Wiki Posts
Search

NZ2 inaugural AKL-JFK on Sat Sept17

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2022, 2:10 am

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
nice deadly ponies bag! maybe they only made it for the inaugural flight
Old Sep 21, 2022, 6:41 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Who decides which bags to leave behind ?

Im booked in business JFK-AKL in a few months . The ticket cost and eye watering amount of money . How does NZ decide which bags to off load in the event of extra fuel is needed? Surely they won’t start pulling from business premier passengers 😡

Air NZ will have a tough time reuniting me with my bags in the remote south island
Old Sep 21, 2022, 7:55 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
They said that they only pulled economy passenger bags.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
They said that they only pulled economy passenger bags.
And more specifically, ~65 bags belonging to 60 passengers.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Just sharing my review/story on the inaugural NZ2 – not the typical 'review', done as more of a timeline-based story.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/r...-direct-flight
Old Sep 21, 2022, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
“Just sharing my review/story on the inaugural NZ2 – not the typical 'review', done as more of a timeline-based story.”
Thanks.
Looking forward to our flight on Monday connecting from Sydney.
We’ll be ‘down the back’ so not as salubrious a journey as yours.
Catching up with family after a 3 years absence will be worth it however.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriot (via SPG) Lifetime Gold
Maybe I'm being a dummy and not understanding, but....is this paragraph in the article correct?

"As it turns out, Air New Zealand’s practice is to assign odd numbers to flights departing from Auckland and even numbers to the return journey, which is why the New York-Auckland flight carries the prestigious NZ1 badge."
Old Sep 21, 2022, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by mtimmer
Maybe I'm being a dummy and not understanding, but....is this paragraph in the article correct?

"As it turns out, Air New Zealand’s practice is to assign odd numbers to flights departing from Auckland and even numbers to the return journey, which is why the New York-Auckland flight carries the prestigious NZ1 badge."
South and west is odd.
North and East is even.

E.g. my WLG to AKL this morning was 408
Old Sep 21, 2022, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mtimmer

[Inset Picard facepalm GIF here]

You're quite right – I got the even and odd references transposed – silly error, blame that on writing a long article while jet lagged! But yes, even that "even numbers ex-AKL, odd numbers back" doesn't hold – I was just going on the explanation given me by AirNZ at the time I asked, but just realised by AKL-SYD flight was NZ103, so this is indeed based on direction of travel rather than being AKL-centric. A bit of an edit needed there!
mtimmer likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 12:27 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I always understood it to be even flight numbers for flights leaving north or west of an sirport (doesn't matter what airport) and odd numbers heading south and east from an airport.

That is true for domestic and intl flights however I am pretty sure there will be some glaring exceptions to that.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 5:31 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by nzkarit
How much would it be people maxing out bags? Could you limit PE to 1 checked and BP to 2 checked?

And they are already carrying 50 less on way home.

But getting bags from JFK to LAX is going fun. Wondering if they have to start buying allocated cargo to LAX. To make the following days AKL flight. Assuming sending to LAX as is daily flight if not more.
Its a JV with United, so presumably the bags were put on the ps flight to LAX ( which operates out fo JFK Terminal 7).

Business Premier can check up to 3 bags. I plan to check 3 - mostly my camping gear as well, with no apologies, since I purchased a Business Premier fare ( which was quite dear mind you !)
Old Sep 26, 2022, 6:26 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by OpenSky
Its a JV with United, so presumably the bags were put on the ps flight to LAX ( which operates out fo JFK Terminal 7).
Putting it on the UA JFK-LAX flight the next morning would allow the bags to make it onto the LAX-AKL flight that evening, so the bags would arrive one day after the passengers. Then you'd have to get the bags to their owners in New Zealand, so one or two more days (?) for that, I guess.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 6:30 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Peter Snijder
Putting it on the UA JFK-LAX flight the next morning would allow the bags to make it onto the LAX-AKL flight that evening, so the bags would arrive one day after the passengers. Then you'd have to get the bags to their owners in New Zealand, so one or two more days (?) for that, I guess.
The LAX-AKL flight usually arrives quite early in the morning (around 6am or 7am). For bags terminating in Auckland they usually put them into a taxi to get them to their owners. For other parts of the country they can usually get them onto a same-day domestic connection quite easily (and then a taxi from there).
codyc1515 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.