JFK-AKL Meals

Old Sep 13, 2022, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

JFK-AKL Meals

Kia Ora,

My family will be flying skycouch on one of the first flights from JFK. We're trying to figure out what meals might be served on the flight to plan food for the kids.

I'm assuming Dinner when we get on at 9.55pm and Breakfast before we land, but I'm hoping there will be more than cookie times and corn chips available in the 16odd hours between those two meals.

Any ideas? Guesses?
Old Sep 13, 2022, 5:50 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
No idea if they'll do a third meal service during the flight. The first JFK-AKL flight is this weekend I believe so I'm sure we'll find out soon.

However, like all longhaul flights, you can order complimentary snacks/drink from your IFE screen.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 6:47 pm

Given they are an overnight in not sure they would do a third full meal service as people will want to sleep. Not sure when would schedule it while letting people get an uninterrupted sleep period.

Will be less than 16h between meals. In Y most probably looking at 60-90 before service starts and will start breakfast 2-3 hours before landing. So more lube 11-12h between meals and add in a 8h sleep. Will likely be some nibbles I in IFE or in galley.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 1:43 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
FWIW QF only has 2 meals on similar length flights PER-LHR vv and the earlier DRW-LHR vv.
becks1 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 2:25 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
One of my annoyances with the ORD flight was the timing of the meals. I only flew it once in Feb 2019 from ORD to AKL so my memory is a little distant now but I recall breakfast service started around 4 or 4 1/2 hours out rather than the usual 2 1/2 hours out on SFO/LAX/IAH flights. One of the reasons for this was to allow the last crew rest after service and before landing.

I could have happily slept (or even just kept laying in my seat) for another hour quite happily. Instead you go through the experience of waking up, having all the lights turned on, having the seat flipped over and bedding all put away, eating breakfast.. And then finding yourself with another 3 or so hours to go still you arrive in Auckland. Putting the seat down again is a pain so most people just ended up sitting there.
becks1 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 3:50 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by LyingFlat
No idea if they'll do a third meal service during the flight. The first JFK-AKL flight is this weekend I believe so I'm sure we'll find out soon.

However, like all longhaul flights, you can order complimentary snacks/drink from your IFE screen.
Are the complimentary snacks just mini cookies and corn chips?

Would be nice if NZ offers buy onboard outside of meal times on long haul services too.

They have the software todo it within the IFE, from the short-haul flights.

Surely on AKL-JFK-AKL they could sell an entire galley cart worth of a snacks?
Old Sep 14, 2022, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by cavemanzk

Would be nice if NZ offers buy onboard outside of meal times on long haul services too.

They have the software todo it within the IFE, from the short-haul flights.

Surely on AKL-JFK-AKL they could sell an entire galley cart worth of a snacks?
Though short haul remember cabin crew are on duty The whole flight. With long haul for most of the flight half or more are sleeping at any one time. So there isn't likely to be a crew to do IFE ordered snacks in a timely manner. Beyond simple chips and drinks which require low prep and no heating.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 8:15 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
No idea. I don't fly down the back of the bus...

In BP they usually have cold snacks and a hot option (cheese and bacon baps for example) on longhaul flights. For Economy JFK-AKL they may not have hot snacks but maybe sandwiches etc which don't require heating
Old Sep 14, 2022, 7:37 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
My guess is that Economy will have a cold meal, like sandwiches. You can probably request it at anytime they aren't in meal service prep/cleanup, but they will probably also have a flight attendant mid sleep wander through, quietly handing out sandwiches to those that are still awake
​​​​. No idea if they will do that, but on longer flights I have had that happen before with other airlines.

If I was flying economy for this flight, I would definitely bring on some snacks! ​​​​​​
Old Sep 17, 2022, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
My guess is that Economy will have a cold meal, like sandwiches. You can probably request it at anytime they aren't in meal service prep/cleanup, but they will probably also have a flight attendant mid sleep wander through, quietly handing out sandwiches to those that are still awake
​​​​. No idea if they will do that, but on longer flights I have had that happen before with other airlines.

If I was flying economy for this flight, I would definitely bring on some snacks! ​​​​​​
Economy AND a toddler and 6 year old, I think I might have an entire carry-on just dedicated to snacks!

Fingers crossed it's more than cookies and chips but I won't plan on it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.