FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Best way to contact air nz? Call centre clogged (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/2093272-best-way-contact-air-nz-call-centre-clogged.html)

Ellice Sep 5, 2022 2:26 pm

Best way to contact air nz? Call centre clogged

I'm trying to lodge recognition upgrades for giftees on my account. I can't do this online. It keeps coming up with "We're sorry, upgrade requests are temporarily unavailable. Please try again shortly."

I've tried ringing through to the call centre to do this. It recognises I've got Elite status. Just get put on hold with horrendous music playing in the background that's so bad and the wait so long that I have to hang up to get rid of the music. I've tried facebook messaging air nz, with the details it then comes up with a chat bot message that the message is too long. Can someone tell me what the best way/time to contact them. I do whatsapp but I don't do twitter. TIA

sbiddle Sep 5, 2022 2:41 pm

Website says 1hr wait times. There have been massive numbers of disrupts due to weather in the last 24 hours so that's put wait times back up again.

Beckett66 Sep 5, 2022 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Ellice (Post 34574913)
Just get put on hold with horrendous music playing in the background that's so bad and the wait so long that I have to hang up to get rid of the music.

I totally agree. I wish they'd drop the music so you can leave it on speakerphone dead silent and hear clearly when someone has picked up your call.

Ellice Sep 5, 2022 4:02 pm

Air NZ would do well to invest in a call back functionality, even if they didn't get back to you till the next day. Any decent company has this option as part of it's customer service offering.

nzkarit Sep 5, 2022 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Ellice (Post 34575166)
Air NZ would do well to invest in a call back functionality, even if they didn't get back to you till the next day. Any decent company has this option as part of it's customer service offering.

They do have a call back feature. Just only use it when queue over X minutes & under Y minutes.

Got to remember when queue isn't less than a few minutes is because of IRROPS so a call the next day isn't going to cut it. Having people wait online filters out the people who are urgent IRROP related vs something that can be handled later, those people will try again once the weather has passed.

SeaProf Sep 5, 2022 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Ellice (Post 34574913)
I'm trying to lodge recognition upgrades for giftees on my account. I can't do this online. It keeps coming up with "We're sorry, upgrade requests are temporarily unavailable. Please try again shortly."

I've tried ringing through to the call centre to do this. It recognises I've got Elite status. Just get put on hold with horrendous music playing in the background that's so bad and the wait so long that I have to hang up to get rid of the music. I've tried facebook messaging air nz, with the details it then comes up with a chat bot message that the message is too long. Can someone tell me what the best way/time to contact them. I do whatsapp but I don't do twitter. TIA

I make sure to call in the middle of the night, when most people are still sleeping. When doing so twice during the last couple months my wait has been about 25 minutes or less.

Rebound Sep 5, 2022 5:09 pm

Worked for me last week, called back in 15 mins.

codyc1515 Sep 5, 2022 11:03 pm

Air NZ would do well to invest in a call back functionality, even if they didn't get back to you till the next day. Any decent company has this option as part of its customer service offering.

If the number of calls entering the callback queue consistently exceeds the number of calls being answered, you can get into a situation where the callback queue blows out across multiple days, for example. Some places, such as IRD, instead opt to stop taking any further calls.

sbiddle Sep 6, 2022 6:32 am

Air NZ has callback functionality.

The limitations aren't obvious to people who haven't had to design or implement a phone system - callbacks are pointless once call volumes reach a certain point if there aren't sufficient resources. They are not some sort of magic fix

Air NZ suffered high call volumes yesterday and this morning due to bad weather for the last 2 days causing cancellations but by this evening the wait times had dropped right back again.

kiwifrequentflyer Sep 6, 2022 10:37 am

Getting upset with long wait times when there is clear weather delays doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Is it annoying? Yes. Do I blame Air NZ that the wait times are long? Absolutely not.

codyc1515 Sep 6, 2022 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer (Post 34577225)
Getting upset with long wait times when there is clear weather delays doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Is it annoying? Yes. Do I blame Air NZ that the wait times are long? Absolutely not.

I disagree. I actually do blame Air NZ for this. IRROPs are far from a new thing. Why do I need to call to get a change made? It’s very hit and miss if the booking is able to be amended online FOC due to disrupts. This seems like an issue that should be trivial but I ultimately believe comes about due to a lack of investment in their IT systems. Instead let’s just throw some heads at the problem (call centre reps), which is surely more expensive.

sbiddle Sep 6, 2022 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by codyc1515 (Post 34577900)
I disagree. I actually do blame Air NZ for this. IRROPs are far from a new thing. Why do I need to call to get a change made? It’s very hit and miss if the booking is able to be amended online FOC due to disrupts. This seems like an issue that should be trivial but I ultimately believe comes about due to a lack of investment in their IT systems. Instead let’s just throw some heads at the problem (call centre reps), which is surely more expensive.

Large numbers of calls taken during periods like this with lots of disrupts can be rebooked online - but people still chose to call. Yes there are scenarios where people need to call (and still too many of those) but many are people who are calling when they're unhappy the only option is say a day or two away or they want to call and rant and demand Air NZ pay for all their costs and expenses.

jeffrocowboy Sep 7, 2022 1:20 am

Originally Posted by codyc1515 (Post 34577900)

Agree. I recently had an aircraft change and the seat selection was therefore unavailable. Needed to ring to select a seat and after that was processed, the map was opened up.

Seems stupid that I had to ring, and that when an aircraft change is made the seat selection is unavailable.

codyc1515 Sep 7, 2022 1:35 am

Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy (Post 34579329)
Agree. I recently had an aircraft change and the seat selection was therefore unavailable. Needed to ring to select a seat and after that was processed, the map was opened up.

Seems stupid that I had to ring, and that when an aircraft change is made the seat selection is unavailable.

Yep - bit of a joke, isn’t it?
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ca8d81387.jpeg

sbiddle Sep 7, 2022 2:55 am

Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy (Post 34579329)

The process wouldn't have been complete. You would have been able tosee your seat allocation and then had access to the seating map once the process of reallocating seats had been done (which is normally a manual process).