Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Best way to contact air nz? Call centre clogged

Best way to contact air nz? Call centre clogged

Old Sep 7, 2022, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Just updating, I got through to lodge the RU requests in the end yesterday. For some reason they had switched on the call back function. I’ve never encountered that before. And they actually called me back in 15 minutes. Was not expecting that 🤪.

As others have said if I could have done this online I certainly would have. I know that air nz is under pressure and I think Foran is doing the best job he can (what a nightmare of a job to have) but other airlines around the world are doing much better with their call wait times than NZ.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 2:06 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Ugh it seems AirNZ have now removed the callback option.

So frustrating after waiting an hour on hold last night only for the agent to somehow drop the call when putting back on hold (and didn't call back).
Old Oct 7, 2022, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by samjnz

So frustrating after waiting an hour on hold last night only for the agent to somehow drop the call when putting back on hold (and didn't call back).
My experience is that mostly I have been on hold, but that sometimes I am offered callback.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 3:15 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by samjnz

Amen, would much prefer the call back
Called today, took about 30 mins for someone to answer AND she was awesome.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 3:20 pm

The call back is only offered when queue is stable is or decreasing.

If the queue is growing they stop call back as will make the queue worse. Hold works as a filter as people who need to talk stay and no urgent people just give up. Say when weather issues only really want people who are flying not people dealing with future stuff.
zoovet likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 2:12 pm

Called at 1am the other day and got through in about a minute. The agent didn't resolve my query, but that's another story.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 6:25 pm

Programs: AirNZ NZ*E
Originally Posted by Ellice
I'm trying to lodge recognition upgrades for giftees on my account. I can't do this online. It keeps coming up with "We're sorry, upgrade requests are temporarily unavailable. Please try again shortly."

I've tried ringing through to the call centre to do this. It recognises I've got Elite status. Just get put on hold with horrendous music playing in the background that's so bad and the wait so long that I have to hang up to get rid of the music. I've tried facebook messaging air nz, with the details it then comes up with a chat bot message that the message is too long. Can someone tell me what the best way/time to contact them. I do whatsapp but I don't do twitter. TIA
I noticed you said you are elite. Despite the very long queues on the phone at the moment you can email [email protected] - you will get an auto reply saying 10-15 business days for a response though I've noticed they're actually replying in about 30 minutes.
Fliar and Ellice like this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 1:19 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Originally Posted by tknz
I noticed you said you are elite. Despite the very long queues on the phone at the moment you can email [email protected] - you will get an auto reply saying 10-15 business days for a response though I've noticed they're actually replying in about 30 minutes.
That's a good tip, since in the past (pre-covid) that has taken at least a week for a response.

Overall I think my AirNZ loyalty is definitely being pushed to the limit after 10 years at Elite -- its the combination of paying outrageously high fares with wasting several hours on hold to fly an outdated product with packed lounges.

A lot of these issues have been floating around for years now prior to COVID (see earlier threads here about AKL lounge capacity issues, dated seats, poor IT/self service tools) but it seems they were emphasizing short term profits above all else at the time.
Fliar and Ellice like this.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Just a data point. Been trying to ring NZ call centre as their It wouldn’t let me do it online. After two days of trying I got through at 1am…
That elite email isn’t being answered promptly. Just get that canned 10-15 day reply and the WhatsApp app isn’t being replied to either. Prompt service from the call centre used to be one of the real benefits of being NZ Elite. Even that is gone now.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Had a callback offered last night, which came through in 15 minutes.

Was trying to see if they would allow a Gold RU to be applied Y->Works Deluxe on a TG stock ticket - a long shot and a clear ‘no’. So that RU goes in the bin with the others…
Old Oct 28, 2022, 2:38 am

I don't think they're allowed to issue upgrades or make changes on other airlines stock.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by codyc1515
I don't think they're allowed to issue upgrades or make changes on other airlines stock.
They can lodge ru requests in NZ at the call centre. I think because my giftee booked through a travel agent I couldnt lodge the request online. It would be good if air nz fixed this problem since the call centre waits are so long.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Ellice
They can lodge ru requests in NZ at the call centre. I think because my giftee booked through a travel agent I couldnt lodge the request online. It would be good if air nz fixed this problem since the call centre waits are so long.
Though did the travel agent book on NZ ticket stock or another airline's ticket stock?
codyc1515 likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 1:55 am

I have used RU on TA issued tickets no problem, but then again they were on NZ stock.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 2:23 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
There are no issues lodging RUs on a flight booked by a TA.

I'm not sure why anybody with a flight booked by a TA would be calling Air NZ directly about a booking - in most cases Air NZ can't touch or make changes because a TA is just that - an agent you've engaged to handle your booking for you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.