Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Arrivals lounge? ( with all the long hauls)

Old Aug 29, 2022, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON

Booked on the JFK-AKL fligh that starts soon.

I am somewhat disappointed that Air NZ appears to be not fully set up to process long haul premium arrivals, there is no arrivals lounge of any sort. Also even more disappointing, is that if you connect to a domestic NZ flight after taking a business premier flight all the way from New York, you are not afforded domestic lounge access same day on an Air NZ flight. Am I reading the website correctly?
Old Aug 29, 2022, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by OpenSky

I am somewhat disappointed that Air NZ appears to be not fully set up to process long haul premium arrivals, there is no arrivals lounge of any sort. Also even more disappointing, is that if you connect to a domestic NZ flight after taking a business premier flight all the way from New York, you are not afforded domestic lounge access same day on an Air NZ flight. Am I reading the website correctly?

No arrivals lounge or facilities as seen in large cities.

However, if travelling on a NZ ticketed and operated business class flight, and then connecting to/from a domestic flight all on the same ticket, domestic lounge access is available.

Air New Zealand customers connecting to or from an international Air New Zealand Business Premier flight on the same ticket, are entitled to lounge access prior to departure. Must be travelling on a through-ticketed journey, departing on an Air New Zealand ticket (starting with '086') and 'NZ' marketed and operated flight.

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/lounges
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 3:18 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry

Correct on no arrivals lounge. Arrive, clear customs, walk outside, inhale the clean fresh air, get a flat white from the Airstream trailer, walk over to domestic terminal. Best arrivals lounge you could ask for.
Go into Koru lounge (need *G or your domestic flight on same PNR as business class intl flight). Order a barista made coffee from the app, sample some of the varied food choice, have a shower and change. Part deux of the arrivals lounge.
This has been my routine for many years.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 5:19 pm

Of all the things to be disappointed about with Air NZ premium service, I am not sure this is one of them.
poopbunny likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by everywhere
Of all the things to be disappointed about with Air NZ premium service, I am not sure this is one of them.
How common are arrival longues?

Sydney has just got one as in an airport hotel has a plaza premium longue (or similar).

Does the Novotel at AKL offer a day rate?
Old Aug 29, 2022, 5:32 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I think I have had an arrival lounge for just one of my flights I have ever taken globally. Maybe there was another one once and I missed it.

But either way, that is pretty rare. Auckland isn't exactly a big city by global standards. I would never expect an arrival lounge. Especially since most people culturally here expect/want to hop to a domestic flight ASAP rather than hang around the airport.
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit
How common are arrival longues?
Exactly. They are very rare outside of seemingly being market standard at LHR.

I've used to use the EY one in AUH a few times and a couple of the LHR ones and am not sure they sparked any more joy than if I had just gone straight to my hotel.

Contrast the joy sparked by airlines with a higher tier international departure lounge (read: almost all of them).
rt23456p and geoshina like this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Around the world arrival lounges are in the minority. Nor can you access (international) departure lounges on arrival in NZ.
AU also does not have any real arrival lounges. The new SYD "arrival" lounge is landside after immigration & customs.

And all domestic flights in NZ are economy only:- no business class. That does surprise some people.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 6:19 pm

I remember having access to the SQ Private Room on arrival at SIN, I had a flight departing the next day.

I had access to all the lobsters and Dom Perignon I wanted but could only manage one round.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
QF ( Qantas ) has a relatively decent facility at PER for the PER-LHR non stop. ( I would say Perth being comparative in size to Auckland) Lots of passengers connecting from London to other points in Australia. They even went out of there way to a space for passengers to do Yoga. It would not surprise me that they do something similar for the AKL-JFK flight they intend to operate

"Access to Regional and Domestic lounges:
Air New Zealand customers connecting to or from an international Air New Zealand Business Premier flight on the same ticket, are entitled to lounge access prior to departure. Must be travelling on a through-ticketed journey, departing on an Air New Zealand ticket (starting with '086') and 'NZ' marketed and operated flight."

This answered my question thank you - its not so clear on the US site.

Last edited by OpenSky; Aug 29, 2022 at 10:23 pm
Old Aug 29, 2022, 11:18 pm

QF ( Qantas ) has a relatively decent facility at PER for the PER-LHR non stop. ( I would say Perth being comparative in size to Auckland) Lots of passengers connecting from London to other points in Australia. They even went out of there way to a space for passengers to do Yoga. It would not surprise me that they do something similar for the AKL-JFK flight they intend to operate

"Access to Regional and Domestic lounges:
Air New Zealand customers connecting to or from an international Air New Zealand Business Premier flight on the same ticket, are entitled to lounge access prior to departure. Must be travelling on a through-ticketed journey, departing on an Air New Zealand ticket (starting with '086') and 'NZ' marketed and operated flight."

This answered my question thank you - its not so clear on the US site.
Well doesn't the flight continue to Melbourne as an international flight so people can stay international airside? And would say it is a departure longue. If you are leaving the flight in Perth (or continuing on a non international domestic) won't get to use the departure longue.

With QF JFK stuff people in AKL will be in international transit so will stay airside and access the QF departure longue while wait for their flight to Aussie.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 2:01 am

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by taupo
Correct on no arrivals lounge. Arrive, clear customs, walk outside, inhale the clean fresh air, get a flat white from the Airstream trailer, walk over to domestic terminal. Best arrivals lounge you could ask for.
Go into Koru lounge (need *G or your domestic flight on same PNR as business class intl flight). Order a barista made coffee from the app, sample some of the varied food choice, have a shower and change. Part deux of the arrivals lounge.
Right now its not possible to walk, there seems to be work going on with an indeterminate timeframe so you have to take the awful inter terminal bus and deal with the scrum. And then not sure about the "varied food choice"? IMO stodgy and unappetizing in most cases (and that counts for all meals of the day unless you like curry or lamb stew for lunch and cauliflower soup[). And if its a busy time, good luck finding a seat in the Domestic Koru. of course you can join the "insta" crowd and guzzle some Dulcet along with your lukewarm sausages and and post the pic to your feed.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by taupo
Haha me too exactly! Mmmm...smell of jetfuel walking in the dark at 6am after a long haul flight. Great to work the legs.

And what do you mean "varied food choice"??? its gonna be Kransky Sausage, Campfire Beans and Thyme Potatoes!!! Choice of lukewarm eggs or lukewarm eggs

Although currently the inter-terminal walkway is closed due to construction, well it was for me a few weeks ago maybe its back open.

Then the rush with the other 300 people who just landed at INTL to try get a free tiny and steamy shower closet room before your next flight is called
codyc1515 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by oranjemakker
Right now its not possible to walk, there seems to be work going on with an indeterminate timeframe so you have to take the awful inter terminal bus and deal with the scrum. And then not sure about the "varied food choice"? IMO stodgy and unappetizing in most cases (and that counts for all meals of the day unless you like curry or lamb stew for lunch and cauliflower soup[). And if its a busy time, good luck finding a seat in the Domestic Koru. of course you can join the "insta" crowd and guzzle some Dulcet along with your lukewarm sausages and and post the pic to your feed.
Wow great minds think alike
Old Aug 30, 2022, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Shamrock55

Although currently the inter-terminal walkway is closed due to construction, well it was for me a few weeks ago maybe its back open.

The walkway between AKL domestic and international terminals has been open for the past 2 weeks or so.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.