Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Can no longer request Elite upgrade clearing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2022, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Pre COVID I remember being able to call up and ask if an RU / short haul / APD upgrade could be processed if the right seats were available, vs just waiting for whenever things might happen by themselves.

I'm trying this again now and told it's no longer possible due to some new system, and was just told to keep checking in on it.

I have put in an upgrade for a trans Tasman trip about 11 months out so am pretty sure there is space and would love to get it cleared... Any advice or experience? Thanks!
Old Aug 17, 2022, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by znsm
Pre COVID I remember being able to call up and ask if an RU / short haul / APD upgrade could be processed if the right seats were available, vs just waiting for whenever things might happen by themselves.

I'm trying this again now and told it's no longer possible due to some new system, and was just told to keep checking in on it.

I have put in an upgrade for a trans Tasman trip about 11 months out so am pretty sure there is space and would love to get it cleared... Any advice or experience? Thanks!
R class is not always added at t-350 but often added later. Given loadings at the moment doubt they would be adding much R class as they can sell the seats.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:59 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I'd like them to refund one of my elite upgrades that didn't clear
Old Aug 18, 2022, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by CHCflyer
It would be interesting to know if (or how much) the failure rate to clear RUs has increased.
Ellice likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 11:43 am

Programs: NZ*G
I’ve had a couple of recent experiences with this.
In April I was booking a trip for August to Hawaii. I had some flexibility of dates so called up and asked if there was any R class availability on a number of dates so that upgrades could be confirmed immediately.
I got a very helpful call centre person and was told on what days there were 0, 1, or luckily 2 R class seats available.
I immediately booked tickets and requested the RUs for my partner and I.
I did this online as the person said that there is now a “robot” that checks daily for fare availability and processes upgrades. She said they could no longer process the upgrades. A bit annoying compared to how you used to be able to get them confirmed instantly but this has been well covered here.
A couple of days passed and no upgrade so I called up and they told me to wait for the robot but I politely pushed back and said when I booked I was told there was R class availability and they referred my query up the line. They followed up via email saying a number of tickets had been sold for the day I booked after I booked my tickets, but before the robot could process my RU. So bad luck for me and I would have to wait for any further R class availability or at check in.

A second example was about a month ago when I was booking another trip where I requested a PE upgrade. There was clearly A class availability visible online. I requested upgrades and waited for the robot to do its thing.
After about 4 days of not clearing I called up.
When I explained the issue the person assured me the robot would do its thing and that it checks for availability daily. I politely pushed back saying I’ve been waiting days and I can see the fare class availability. She told me that I was wrong and that there was no R class available for the flight. I said I was after A class, not R class. Then she said “Oh you are right, the robot should have cleared that for you”.
She then said that she couldn’t process it but there was a team that could do so so she emailed them for me and the upgrade cleared in about 30 minutes.

So from what I have gathered there is a team that only works during core business hours (not nights or weekends) that can still process things manually if there is fare class available.
Ellice likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 11:44 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by CHCflyer
This seems to require a phone call which is such a waste of everyone's time
Old Aug 18, 2022, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Confirm R class availability is required for RUs to clear into, and the variable factor is the point at which these are looked at ? ie GE immediately, Golds looked at 6 days prior etc
Old Aug 18, 2022, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Originally Posted by MaestroNZ
In April I was booking a trip for August to Hawaii. I had some flexibility of dates so called up and asked if there was any R class availability on a number of dates so that upgrades could be confirmed immediately.
I got a very helpful call centre person and was told on what days there were 0, 1, or luckily 2 R class seats available.
I did this online as the person said that there is now a “robot” that checks daily for fare availability and processes upgrades. She said they could no longer process the upgrades. A bit annoying compared to how you used to be able to get them confirmed instantly but this has been well covered here.
A couple of days passed and no upgrade so I called up and they told me to wait for the robot but I politely pushed back and said when I booked I was told there was R class availability and they referred my query up the line. They followed up via email saying a number of tickets had been sold for the day I booked after I booked my tickets, but before the robot could process my RU. So bad luck for me and I would have to wait for any further R class availability or at check in.

A second example was about a month ago when I was booking another trip where I requested a PE upgrade. There was clearly A class availability visible online. I requested upgrades and waited for the robot to do its thing.
When I explained the issue the person assured me the robot would do its thing and that it checks for availability daily. I politely pushed back saying I’ve been waiting days and I can see the fare class availability. She told me that I was wrong and that there was no R class available for the flight. I said I was after A class, not R class. Then she said “Oh you are right, the robot should have cleared that for you”.
She then said that she couldn’t process it but there was a team that could do so so she emailed them for me and the upgrade cleared in about 30 minutes.

So from what I have gathered there is a team that only works during core business hours (not nights or weekends) that can still process things manually if there is fare class available.
Hmmm this is strange as I applied for 2x flights within the last month where there was A and R availability respectively and both cleared immediately upon submitting the request. In fact if there is R or A availability as soon as you click Submit on the request it comes back saying "Confirmed" rather than "Requested"
gambda likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 4:18 pm

Programs: NZ*G
I know, it was weird. I wonder if it was because I was travelling with my partner who is Gold, rather than Elite. We were on the same booking so have had no problems with them clearing in the past when there was availability. So that may have thrown something out in the system?
Old Aug 18, 2022, 6:45 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by taupo
This seems to require a phone call which is such a waste of everyone's time
Thanks for this, and I agree. When the airline is swamped with cancelled flights etc, it always feels a little churlish to call for these basic admin processes to be actioned. Whenever I do call there is always the pre-message about high call volumes.
I recently read a good article about how airlines now act as retailers when it comes to taking your money but absolve their retailer obligations and relationship when it comes to refunds etc.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 7:57 pm

Programs: NZ Elite
Was that an APD upgrade or RU / SHU ? Recent experience with an unsuccessful SHU which was credited back into my account within 5 days. Didn't have to call.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 5:34 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
Originally Posted by MaestroNZ

Interesting, this also happened to me but I applied for the upgrade online whilst the call centre agent was on the phone and the "robot" immediately cleared it. I guess R class was available (as stated) and given R was present it immediately cleared. The agents sometimes say the robot checks every morning but I do not think this is the case when there is R available.

My wife was also confirmed, she is silver but same PNR.

Last edited by JANZFlyer; Aug 21, 2022 at 5:35 pm Reason: partner also silver

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.