Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Reducing flight schedules over next 6 months (Aug 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2022, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Reducing flight schedules over next 6 months.

Cutting flights as staff sickness high. Guessing they basically want more people in the reserve roster. They don't want the northern hemisphere meltdown over Xmas & summer here.

Will be refund not credit.
Domestically if can't get flight same day.
Internationally if can't get flight +- 1 day.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/business/472639/air-new-zealand-reduces-flight-schedule-over-next-six-months-to-deal-with-staff-sickness
Old Aug 10, 2022, 3:29 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Nice of them to offer an refund, although too late if you already got caught up in the schedule cut back on the Tasman a few weeks back.

I had to settle for an 7am flight ex BNE instead of a 6pm flight! Not great if you were just going for a long weekend.

If they had offered a refund I would of taken it an booked Qantas.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 3:33 pm
Nz8

Anyone know whether they publish changes to their schedules? Would be good for people to have the ability to check rather than wait for their flights to be cancelled.
codyc1515 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Nice of them to offer an refund, although too late if you already got caught up in the schedule cut back on the Tasman a few weeks back.

I had to settle for an 7am flight ex BNE instead of a 6pm flight! Not great if you were just going for a long weekend.

If they had offered a refund I would of taken it an booked Qantas.
Wouldn't get a refund for that. International only refund if can't rebook you +-1 day.

I have been paying more recently for refundable tickets.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nz8
Anyone know whether they publish changes to their schedules? Would be good for people to have the ability to check rather than wait for their flights to be cancelled.
By what was said in interview it sounds like they have pushed the changes through already.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit
Wouldn't get a refund for that. International only refund if can't rebook you +-1 day.

I have been paying more recently for refundable tickets.
Not sure how this fits with the CGA / FTA. You shouldn't have to be paying more or be disadvantaged due to their staffing issues.
cavemanzk likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 4:20 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by codyc1515
Not sure how this fits with the CGA / FTA. You shouldn't have to be paying more or be disadvantaged due to their staffing issues.
I've been paying more for flex fares too. TBH I just can't be bothered having an argument with some call centre agent as to whether or not I should get a refund.
ottiehund likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 4:24 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by nzkarit
Reducing flight schedules over next 6 months.

Cutting flights as staff sickness high. Guessing they basically want more people in the reserve roster. They don't want the northern hemisphere meltdown over Xmas & summer here.

Will be refund not credit.
Domestically if can't get flight same day.
Internationally if can't get flight +- 1 day.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/business/...staff-sickness
Also, this interesting quote from Greg Foran "We're also exploring options to lease a crewed widebody aircraft for the busy summer period."

Hopefully we don't see the return of Hi Fly...
Old Aug 10, 2022, 4:38 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by LyingFlat
Also, this interesting quote from Greg Foran "We're also exploring options to lease a crewed widebody aircraft for the busy summer period."

Hopefully we don't see the return of Hi Fly...
Although doesn't HiFly now have A330NEO's?

If they can't find enough New Zealand based crews, that are willing to work for there updated pay rates. Maybe they should just be looking to open some off shore crew bases?, I flew on a JQ 788 this week with Asian base crew and it was a great experience (if not better than AU based JQ crews).
Old Aug 10, 2022, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Although doesn't HiFly now have A330NEO's?

If they can't find enough New Zealand based crews, that are willing to work for there updated pay rates. Maybe they should just be looking to open some off shore crew bases?, I flew on a JQ 788 this week with Asian base crew and it was a great experience (if not better than AU based JQ crews).
Think with cabin and flight is more people sick & not enough class room and sim space. Rather than finding the people.

Know Qantas is doing cabin training in Dubai as all the cabin Aussie classrooms and facilities are booked solid.

Also bringing back a 777. Can mean retraining/making current a 787 crew member. Then need to train a A320 person on the 787. Then need to train a ATR person on the A320.

So bringing back the 777 is a blessing and a curse at the same time.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 6:24 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Most cabin crew are now being dual qualified for the 787 and 777 unlike pre Covid when they were separate.

The problem is a) training them and b) that there still aren't enough.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 9:18 pm

What is the going rate for a new starter on ATR/Q300, A320 or 777? Is it still close to minimum wage?
Old Aug 11, 2022, 5:06 am

Air NZ is a total joke right now. They're charging almost $2000 round trip across the tasman and haven't had an ex AU sale once since April. They then further cut flights meaning prices will stay high for another 6 months at least.

This week I flew AU to NZ for ~$200 round trip on a Jetstar sale and Qantas is freqently ~$600 round trip (regular price pre covid). I just wonder how much more they can get away with the robbery.

Once EK returns to CHC in November, China Airlines (BNE-AKL shortly) plus Air Asia shortly joining the SYD-AKL route I can't see Air NZ able to get away with the constantly high prices but at the same time they'll have less supply then ever before.
cavemanzk and ottiehund like this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 5:49 am

Any trans-Tasman fare that is sub-$250 is losing money just off the taxes alone. Not really a comparable example. While I agree NZ’s prices are high right now, they’re oftentimes the only choice if you want a direct flight and aren’t Auckland based. Most of them are flying full.
Ellice and kiwifrequentflyer like this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
I initially thought Foran would be good at NZ given the reputation for customer focus he came with (but it seems those reports may not have been so accurate?) albeit the world has changed.

….NZ is fast becoming the Walmart of the Skies under his leadership.

I have one upcoming trans Tasman MEL to ZQN that I see on the app appears cancelled (I have received no contact from the airline despite them saying they are contacting effected passengers). I can’t access the booking online so guess will be faced with calling them today.

as an aside, I have 2 upcoming J trips to Europe I am currently looking to finalise and book, Nov and Feb, and have all but decided to go EK or SQ, probably EK based on fares (NZ is simply robbery in comparison) and a better hard product. I have always been pretty loyal but now that’s going out the window.

Last edited by ottiehund; Aug 11, 2022 at 11:19 am Reason: Syntax

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.